Nokia 8's navigation bar and Android Pie?

Hey, so I have this thought that has occured to me a while ago.

Nokia 8's navigation bar and Android Pie?

MediKron MediKron
✭✭  / 
Hey, so I have this thought that has occured to me a while ago.

We know that Android Pie will seriously change the navigation bar of the devices. But what about the devices - like my Nokia 8 - that have fixed navigation bars, not integrated to the display? How will those be affected or will they be affected at all?
Tagged:

Comments

• terminusaquo terminusaquo
    ✭✭✭  /  edited November 2018
    The buttons on the Nokia 8 will continue to function normally, we just won't have all the gestures. Android P doesn't stop manufacturers from using physical buttons it's just that on-screen buttons are preferred.
  • marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Does anyone know of some videos of Android 9 Pie running on phones with physical buttons? I'm quite curious if it loses some of the functionality (or not)
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Does anyone know of some videos of Android 9 Pie running on phones with physical buttons? I'm quite curious if it loses some of the functionality (or not)
    I haven't seen any but Rootless Pixel Launcher with the Bridge installed will give you a good idea of what it will look like  ;)
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    @Terminusaquo why will some functionality be lost? I would have thought the same swipe functionality could be used, with the addition of touch buttons - it seems like the Nokia 8 will have more options, not less.

✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    @Terminusaquo why will some functionality be lost? I would have thought the same swipe functionality could be used, with the addition of touch buttons - it seems like the Nokia 8 will have more options, not less.

I'll answer your question with a question of my own, why would you need on screen buttons when you already have capacitive buttons?
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    I don't mean the on screen buttons. You wrote:
    we just won't have all the gestures.

I consider gestures = swipe, so I interpreted your post to mean you think the Nokia 8 will have less swipe functionality. But if you consider gestures = on screen buttons then I agree, we don't need onscreen buttons. Which is correct?

To clarify what I wrote, touch buttons = separate capacitive buttons, so I meant we will have separate capacitive buttons AND swipe gestures, so we should ultimately have more functionality available, it just depends if HMD implement it.

• Naveen M Naveen M
    ✭✭  / 
    When do we get Android p update....?

✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    I don't mean the on screen buttons. You wrote:
    we just won't have all the gestures.

I consider gestures = swipe, so I interpreted your post to mean you think the Nokia 8 will have less swipe functionality. But if you consider gestures = on screen buttons then I agree, we don't need onscreen buttons. Which is correct?

To clarify what I wrote, touch buttons = separate capacitive buttons, so I meant we will have separate capacitive buttons AND swipe gestures, so we should ultimately have more functionality available, it just depends if HMD implement it.

The gestures in Android P all stem from the on screen buttons.
    ✭✭✭  / 

End of this month, as I've mentioned in many threads on here.
  • MediKron MediKron
    ✭✭  / 
    The buttons on the Nokia 8 will continue to function normally, we just won't have all the gestures. Android P doesn't stop manufacturers from using physical buttons it's just that on-screen buttons are preferred.
    Thank you so much for the answer. Now I'm reliaved. :) 
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    After looking into this in more detail it's clear that phones like the 8 will still have usable capacitive buttons, it's not clear if they will miss out on some of the gestures or not. We'll have to wait and see how HMD implement it.
  • marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited November 2018
    madbilly said:
    After looking into this in more detail it's clear that phones like the 8 will still have usable capacitive buttons, it's not clear if they will miss out on some of the gestures or not. We'll have to wait and see how HMD implement it.
    Have you got some materials (links) that may shed some light on this issue? I haven't been able to find any videos of Android pie running on phones with physical buttons like the Nokia 8. This future upgrade has me more worried than anxious, I'm actually waiting just for the overdue proper camera app.
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    Unfortunately I didn't find any videos or explanations that show how the gestures will work on a phone which already has capacitive buttons. I don't think the Nokia 8 capacitive buttons can detect swipes so they legally can't be used for gestures. The 8 may not get the gesture UI at all, we'll just have to wait and see.

I agree with you about the camera app.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Some manufacturers such as Sony aren't even including gesture control as an option with Pie so HMD may choose to do the same with the Nokia 8 having capacitive buttons (although i doubt they will omit it).
  • marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Removing options away is only detrimental to the loyalty of their disheartened users/customers.

Case in point, I would've loved to have an option to override Google's moronic decision to merge the "Ring" and "Notification" volume controls in one. Or a toggle to persist the last chosen settings/modifiers in the camera app. But then who'd launch 20 more phones a week? Eh, HMD? 😒
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they removed the option for gesture control (which they wont), i don't want it and i don't care if it dies a death, i have been using the navigation buttons quite happily for 8 years and it works well. Google have an ever growing list of ruining things in the name of progress, your ring and notification controls point to name just one.

I am pretty sure it will be included though just to keep everyone happy.
  • petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

at the end of November (28-30)
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    The new gestures are a welcome touch, but if you can't live without your Home, Back, and Recents buttons, you've got nothing to fear for the time being.

When you update your phone to Pie, the gestures are turned off by default. If you want to enable them, you've got to go to Settings -> System -> Gestures -> Swipe up on Home button.

However, things won't always be this way. Starting with the Pixel 3, new phones that ship with Android Pie out of the box will have gestures turned on by default with no way for users to revert to the traditional buttons.

✭✭✭  / 
    naufrago said:
    The new gestures are a welcome touch, but if you can't live without your Home, Back, and Recents buttons, you've got nothing to fear for the time being.

When you update your phone to Pie, the gestures are turned off by default. If you want to enable them, you've got to go to Settings -> System -> Gestures -> Swipe up on Home button.

However, things won't always be this way. Starting with the Pixel 3, new phones that ship with Android Pie out of the box will have gestures turned on by default with no way for users to revert to the traditional buttons.

Yes, but the Nokia 8 has capacitive buttons which makes the gestures redundant.
  • My nokia 8 is also giving problem with the navigation bar and fingerprint sensor it stops working. Now i have to use a third party navigation bar. This is not the first time Nokia 8 is getting bugs.If this continues like this @nokia is damaging its on reputation. Please give an update on this.. Its very difficult to use phone like this.