Pro camera tips and tricks for the Nokia 8

Hi everyone, It's true that the current Pro camera for the Nokia 8 is not universally loved. However, it is still capable of some great photos.

Pro camera tips and tricks for the Nokia 8

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  / 
Hi everyone,

It's true that the current Pro camera for the Nokia 8 is not universally loved. However, it is still capable of some great photos. I'm not very good with the manual settings in the Pro camera so I hope that some of you who are better can share your secrets for getting the best from it?

Comments

• first, always use iso 100, with that youl have the best quality possible, when its to dark, try the next iso level. but with higher iso levels comes the bad quality, so always use the lowest possible. if the picture is not colourfull enough, set to cloudy. and i toke some photos of the moon, and you even can see the surface. for that you can use both modes, but i got the best results with the normal mode. with the bare hands it is difficult, so a stativ is best. than focus the moon with maximal zoom, than touch the moon on the display and than, the moon gets sharp for a few seconds, now take the photo^^, i got some wonderfull pictures from the moon and even the blood moon at the last moon daekness, for this, you need the pro mode, set the iso to maximum iso 1600 and the riser for the lens open time to maximum, a half second. but you have to play withe the risers to get a good shot, rise the uper riser to cloudy so the blood moon gets super red ^^, with the same setings you can even make a picture of the night sky where you can see even stars! i try to upload a few pics i made at night, but my inet is very slow for no reason atm^^
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @user1542686622333 Thanks for the tips! In fact I'd never noticed before that the white balance has some icons to show the different modes. I can see sunlight, clouds, shadow (?), fluorescent lights and incandescent lights. Is that right?

When you say modes do you mean dual camera vs colour only? Which do you call normal?

Those are really helpful tips, thank you :)
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Given the Nokia 8 has poor light performance i find the smallest Joby Gorillapod pod and a Manfrotto Mobile Phone clamp invaluable when taking photos with no movement in them.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Ah, clamps! I was wondering how to fit my phone to a tripod.
  • madbilly said:
    @user1542686622333 Thanks for the tips! In fact I'd never noticed before that the white balance has some icons to show the different modes. I can see sunlight, clouds, shadow (?), fluorescent lights and incandescent lights. Is that right?

When you say modes do you mean dual camera vs colour only? Which do you call normal?

Those are really helpful tips, thank you :)
    yes, these are different white/colour settings, i prefer cloudy, but sometimes it is to redish ;) 
    and with normal mode i mean the automatic mode
  • lumicron lumicron
     /  edited November 2018
    moon with iso 1600,and 0,5 sec exposure an 8x zoom, you can clearly see the poor quality 1600
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Thanks for the clarification on the modes and sharing that photo. I think you did very well to be able to see the leaves on the tree!
  • lumicron lumicron
     /  edited November 2018
    with iso 800, exposure 0,5 sec, 8x zoom
  • lumicron lumicron
     /  edited November 2018

now with whitebalancefilter *cloudy*
  • here a picrure with automaticmode, with the trick i mentioned before, the trick is to take the photo while manually toggle the sercher by touching the screen, the moon must than be in the cube. i took all photos without pod, but that is extreme dificult to get a good picture when exposure is at an half second.
  • and with iso 1600 and 0,5 seconds you can make photos in the dark
  • with iso 1600 and 0,5 sec exposure you can even see the moon at an moon eclipse
  • Different white\color balances
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited November 2018
    lumicron said:
    moon with iso 1600,and 0,5 sec exposure an 8x zoom, you can clearly see the poor quality 1600
    The moon is much brighter than you think and you need a much faster shutter speed and lower ISO than you imagine.

Clearly this wasn't taken on my Nokia 8 but it was taken at 1/200ths at ISO 100 with a Canon 40D with a 100-400 on it. Full moons tend to look a bit rubbish because you don't get the shadows hitting the craters.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    The Manfrotto one is £7.50 on Amazon at the minute but i have seen different makes for as little as a £1 and i dare say they do the same job :)
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    mrbelter said:

Clearly this wasn't taken on my Nokia 8 but it was taken at 1/200ths at ISO 100 with a Canon 40D with a 100-400 on it. Full moons tend to look a bit rubbish because you don't get the shadows hitting the craters.

But you got pretty good definition of the craters round the edge, nice!
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    mrbelter said:
    madbilly said:
    The Manfrotto one is £7.50 on Amazon at the minute but i have seen different makes for as little as a £1 and i dare say they do the same job :)
    I think I still have one from when I got my Nokia N8, but it may not be wide enough.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    mrbelter said:
    madbilly said:
    I think I still have one from when I got my Nokia N8, but it may not be wide enough.
    I must be honest the Manfrotto one is a bit of a squeeze (although i do leave my case on). Using the time laps feature of looks brilliant when you have used a clamp and a tripod. It isn't genuine time lapse but slow footage played back at real time (about 3 seconds of footage per second i think) but it is very effective.
  • VOLKAN TEKCAN VOLKAN TEKCAN
    ✭✭  / 

guys i want to talk about shooting video with nokia 8 , #nokia8videoshooting

i use pro cam x and compaired all of available apps procam x is phenomenal you can change shutter speed iso when shooting too! quality is awesome. i am using nokia 8.

i installed all working apks from celso azevedo. you must see procam x on android too. i have payed version of procam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMEnDA2DAic

this video explains shutter speed.

for 30 frames per second you must use at least 60 shutter speed for good quality video.

our camera can do 200 iso good too. screen light pointed on my face i tried every single one apps all resolutions and all frame rates. 42000 bps or 42 mpbs is the sweet spot for recording 4k. i checked my sony camera records 1080p 30fps with 14000 bps (i checked these with mediainfo software for windows)

i weighed all video qualities with my eyes on pc monitor 27 inch. everything looks good on phone screen. filmic pro ,pro shot , asus camera ,footej camera,free camera cinema fv-5 ,bacon camera , google camera imports from celso azevedo. NO CAMERA SOFTWARE LETS YOU CONTROL THE SHUTTER SPEED 90 PERCENT OF THEM DOESN'T LET YOU CONTROL ISO EITHER! Only procam x lets you do it. i have both payed and lite free version. both does the job.

the information i gave here even unknown by the nokia hmd . because they don't care . they even removed black and video lens video shooting mode from the phone. they don't let us shoot 60fps 1080p too. if you are reading hmd give us shutter speed options and bitrate options to shoot our videos best quality. it is important that you lock exposure (iso and shutter speed) and focus. they don't let you do that too. you will be amazed how your camera shoots beautiful video and you won't upgrade it for so much time which they wouldn't like.

i did my tests on low light. here is my last test

• sergyu sergyu
    ✭✭✭  / 

You're lucky i don't have the photo taken with my 808PV of the moon, the ND filter was a big use which it seems it isn't implemented on new camera phones, too bad. As for Nokia 8 it dissapoints me when come to camera.

I buyed a oneplus 7t pro and is much better.