Is anyone else facing this issue with their Nokia 8 (2017) ? #Nokia8 #Screenissue

So I noticed this issue soon after I bought my Nokia 8 in May 2018.  If I am viewing something on my display for more than a few minutes.

Is anyone else facing this issue with their Nokia 8 (2017) ? #Nokia8 #Screenissue

So I noticed this issue soon after I bought my Nokia 8 in May 2018. 
If I am viewing something on my display for more than a few minutes.
For example me typing this question. (Screenshot 1) Then I move to a different app to view Screenshot 1.
Now I took a picture of my phone from my Nokia 6.1 plus to try and point out my issue. Which is visible in picture 2 and 3
If you view picture 3 and zoom in on it you see a ghost of what I was viewing for a longer period ( in this case the clearly visible ghost is that of Google logo on key board in centre left of the screen and icon showing "2 tabs" of Google Chrome app). (Marked in picture 4)

So, I'm curious if this has happened with anyone else ? And will this be covered under the definition of a defect ? 

All I want is this to be fixed by a screen replacement. But I don't want to risk going to the authorised dealer, and him ripping off the screen before he can tell me it's covered under warranty or not, and charge me a hefty amount coz my screen is already ripped. 

Also, if someone can explain my position on warranty and this defect, my phone doesn't have any physical damage and no water damage either. (Another reasons I'm clueless as to the defect)

Any help would be appreciated. 
Tagged:

Best Answer

• megan megan
    Staff member  /  edited November 2018 Accepted Answer
    Hello, 

Sorry that you are having this problem. 

Please try a soft reset. This is a safe and quick way to reboot your device, so no need to worry, you won’t lose or erase any data. Just keep in mind that the device should not be charging. It’s easy: Press the Power button and Volume UP button simultaneously for at least 10 seconds, release them when you feel the phone vibrate and you see "Powered by Android" on the screen

If this does not solve the problem, please contact support directly via Mail ([email protected]) or Chat.

I hope this helps, 

Megan

Answers

• alberto4 alberto4
    ✭✭✭  / 
    This doesn't happen to me, but I heard that the display issues are pretty often at the Nokia 8. I bought mine in August 2018 so it is relatively new
  • Same issue bro...I bought Nokia 8 in 2017
  • Nokia should resolve this issue
  • There's also a considerable battery drain going on for me since the last update 
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    thanks for sharing the pictures I agree it looks like there's some sort of ghost image there. Many people have said in the past that they've had similar issues, I don't know if they got the screens replaced under warranty. I would suggest that the first thing to do is to contact support who should be able to tell you if it is covered under warranty or not. After that you can visit your local care centre or if your're in Europe use the online repair tool: https://nokia.ebuilder.com/

• madbilly said:
    thanks for sharing the pictures I agree it looks like there's some sort of ghost image there. Many people have said in the past that they've had similar issues, I don't know if they got the screens replaced under warranty. I would suggest that the first thing to do is to contact support who should be able to tell you if it is covered under warranty or not. After that you can visit your local care centre or if your're in Europe use the online repair tool: https://nokia.ebuilder.com/

The pictures I uploaded would be 2/10 for level of discomfort caused. I usually face a 8/10 level discomfort while using my Nokia 8 on a daily basis.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    I'll be very surprised if a reset fixes ghost images but if it does then that will be worthwhile knowing!
  • bett95 bett95
    ✭✭  / 
    Even for LCD displays it is quite usual to get Screen Burn or image retention problems. Here is a fix for screen burns in lcd panels as well as for image retention: Ghost screen APK here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16drCJbOTbe55mDJcfFTK7K8XwRHDpnu_/view you can try various settings and this could help to mitigate or delete the problem.

• I am too having same problem on my Nokia ghost on the screen of Google or some stuck app...
  • megan said:
    Hello, 

Sorry that you are having this problem. 

Please try a soft reset. This is a safe and quick way to reboot your device, so no need to worry, you won’t lose or erase any data. Just keep in mind that the device should not be charging. It’s easy: Press the Power button and Volume UP button simultaneously for at least 10 seconds, release them when you feel the phone vibrate and you see "Powered by Android" on the screen

If this does not solve the problem, please contact support directly via Mail ([email protected]) or Chat.

I hope this helps, 

Megan
    I tried this. It isn't a software issue or would have been visible in screenshots. It seems to like a hardware defect, that's why I wanted to know if my warranty will cover it. 
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    So I noticed this issue soon after I bought my Nokia 8 in May 2018. 
    If I am viewing something on my display for more than a few minutes.
    For example me typing this question. (Screenshot 1) Then I move to a different app to view Screenshot 1.
    Now I took a picture of my phone from my Nokia 6.1 plus to try and point out my issue. Which is visible in picture 2 and 3
    If you view picture 3 and zoom in on it you see a ghost of what I was viewing for a longer period ( in this case the clearly visible ghost is that of Google logo on key board in centre left of the screen and icon showing "2 tabs" of Google Chrome app). (Marked in picture 4)

So, I'm curious if this has happened with anyone else ? And will this be covered under the definition of a defect ? 

All I want is this to be fixed by a screen replacement. But I don't want to risk going to the authorised dealer, and him ripping off the screen before he can tell me it's covered under warranty or not, and charge me a hefty amount coz my screen is already ripped. 

Also, if someone can explain my position on warranty and this defect, my phone doesn't have any physical damage and no water damage either. (Another reasons I'm clueless as to the defect)

Any help would be appreciated. 
    Hello,
    Check this video of my TA-1012.

It gets even worse by time, especially in dark backgrounds.

I purchased in October2017 and screen replaced under warranty in September 2018.
    It is caused because of LG panels used, most probably the first batch. Now the same problem came up with the replaced screen and I'm not sure what to do.

I like my Nokia 8, but this screen issue is really disturbing.
  • Dheeraj Dheeraj
    ✭✭✭  /  edited November 2018
    Im facing this problem as well and my phone is nearly a year old. I had found a temporary fix which is using the phone at full brightness for a while but now that doesn't seem work. And if even after getting a screen replacement this issue exists like @naufrago says, i don't know what to do.
  • marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭✭  /  edited November 2018
    Could you guys share a screenshot of your model number and hardware version? Maybe we get to some conclusion or statistics about various hardware versions (perhaps some versions are not affected?).

To do this, go to Settings > System > About phone. Now scroll to the bottom of this screen (to also expose the camera firmware and touch panel versions) then tap on "Model" and a popup shows with the model and hardware version. Take the screenshot and post it.

Here's mine:

Later edit: also specify what issues you have with your phone, so we could compile some statistics of sort.
    Or do you guys think we need another, dedicated thread for this?

• naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hello @Marcel Sichitiu
    Here is mine;

• alexkay alexkay
    ✭✭  / 
    I strongly agree to the postings above, but maybe there is a little chance of not facing a screen burn in isssue:
    Could it be, that the Bitdefender dialog is slightly transparent per design, so that the background under the dialog can be seen?
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    alexkay said:
    I strongly agree to the postings above, but maybe there is a little chance of not facing a screen burn in isssue:
    Could it be, that the Bitdefender dialog is slightly transparent per design, so that the background under the dialog can be seen?
    That (transparency) was my first thought when I noticed "image retention" for the first time, because I have had signed beta labs and upgraded to oreo beta. I suspected it was caused by transparency settings of the os. Then I faced the ugly truth; it became worse and worse by time, such that, images of more than two apps were tangled.

For short, I am not able to and willing to be optimistic on this matter. After seeing the numerous complaints on different channels, it's clear that, this is a big fail for the very first flagship of HMD. (Apart from how many batches are effected)
    Yet, they have not admitted the issue until the moment.
  • imchandu03 imchandu03
    ✭✭✭  / 
    This is common issue for Nokia 8, also Nokia never react for their faults, this is covered under warranty, i have got new device from Nokia after this screen burn issue, but with in 1 month i am facing same issue now.
  • marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    What is the level of screen brightness that you set? I'm particularly asking those who have the burn-in issues. I've set mine to about 30% since i got it a month ago, i haven't yet experienced the problem but I'm shivering at the thought.
  • usercub usercub
    ✭✭  /  edited November 2018
    Nokia TA-1004 here. I have same issue :(. Did not go to warsnty yet, because ... it takes more than week and i've seen reports that the issue occurs on replaced screen also. From what i've seen, the night light amplifies this issue, but it still occurs without it. It is so bad, that makes me use my phone less and less :(. And do like this phone, but, when the screen looks smeared after 5 to 10 mins of use ....
    Ps: this happens on two of my coworks phones that buyed this phone at my recomandation, damn :(
    @marcel: it seems that low brightness just makes it less visible, at least for me
  • Dheeraj Dheeraj
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @marcel sichitiu Keeping the brightness low will prolong the life of lcd panel since less current is passed through it. So i keep it at 20% or less. 
  • Dheeraj Dheeraj
    ✭✭✭  / 

The reason we're having this problem is because either hmd have not done the software optimization correctly or have used a cheap low quality lcd panel.
  • marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    I have no idea about the actual cause, but I'd say it's the hardware (the panel itself). There have been quite a few software updates released so far, the users have complained about the burn-in for so long... I don't know what to think about HMD. Indeed, if they'd acknowledge the problem and recall the phones (would they even be capable of such?) it would mean financial loss. But it'd also be an enormous gain in user loyalty or at least respect and act as walking PR agents 🙂 I'd surely go recommend their brand.

Whoa, what a nice dream there, back to reality I officially regret buying it. Will wait and see what the new camera brings, although my expectations have faded.

Yeah, the first and last Android Nokia for me. Good luck with the warranty repairs fellas, I'm already bracing myself for it.
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @marcel sichitiu I couldn't be agree more.

Now this is covered under warranty, but replacement panels also have the same problem. 

The question is:
    What will happen after warranty period?
  • marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭✭  /  edited November 2018
    Suffer, i guess. And move on. Leave HMD behind, let them launch dozens of new phones with beautiful screens that will soon show their hideous true nature (cheap scheisse made to impress to buy). I'm so returning to Huawei after my 8 becomes unusable... Had great experience for years, never felt the need for new Android versions on it, great camera, solid display (albeit not at the resolution or DPI of the 8, but still great and reliable!)

Good thing I didn't get to recommend Nokia to someone.
  • Could you guys share a screenshot of your model number and hardware version? Maybe we get to some conclusion or statistics about various hardware versions (perhaps some versions are not affected?).

To do this, go to Settings > System > About phone. Now scroll to the bottom of this screen (to also expose the camera firmware and touch panel versions) then tap on "Model" and a popup shows with the model and hardware version. Take the screenshot and post it.

Here's mine:

Later edit: also specify what issues you have with your phone, so we could compile some statistics of sort.
    Or do you guys think we need another, dedicated thread for this?

I like my brighteness level above 50% and dim it down to 20% at night.
    It's such a terrible experience to use it.
    Burn in and image retention was unbrarunbe as it is, now sometimes I get to see vertical bar on my screen, sorta thing but faded, completely out of whack from whatever is happening on the screen.
  • Suffer, i guess. And move on. Leave HMD behind, let them launch dozens of new phones with beautiful screens that will soon show their hideous true nature (cheap scheisse made to impress to buy). I'm so returning to Huawei after my 8 becomes unusable... Had great experience for years, never felt the need for new Android versions on it, great camera, solid display (albeit not at the resolution or DPI of the 8, but still great and reliable!)

I wish Amazon would take this back and let me get some other phone :/ 
    Over and above all of this I got that new 6.1plus , that's giving me some issue with microphone *facepalm* getting that replaced.

• redskua redskua
    ✭✭  / 
    I have no idea about the actual cause, but I'd say it's the hardware (the panel itself). There have been quite a few software updates released so far, the users have complained about the burn-in for so long... I don't know what to think about HMD. Indeed, if they'd acknowledge the problem and recall the phones (would they even be capable of such?) it would mean financial loss. But it'd also be an enormous gain in user loyalty or at least respect and act as walking PR agents 🙂 I'd surely go recommend their brand.

Whoa, what a nice dream there, back to reality I officially regret buying it. Will wait and see what the new camera brings, although my expectations have faded.

Yeah, the first and last Android Nokia for me. Good luck with the warranty repairs fellas, I'm already bracing myself for it.
    still waiting on this cam update, i empathize with your screen problem. I do not believe HMD has the expertise anymore, like you if the cam update not happening then it's back to Sony/Samsung for me. 
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Suffer, i guess. And move on. Leave HMD behind, let them launch dozens of new phones with beautiful screens that will soon show their hideous true nature (cheap scheisse made to impress to buy). I'm so returning to Huawei after my 8 becomes unusable... Had great experience for years, never felt the need for new Android versions on it, great camera, solid display (albeit not at the resolution or DPI of the 8, but still great and reliable!)

We must keep this thread up, so other nokia 8 users along with wannabe users can see and participate.
    Maybe then HMD reacts.
  • marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    This is merely a user-to-user forum, although I do hope that the moderators will escalate our complains to the appropriate decision makers.

The only solution I can think of is for Nokia to make LG (or whoever supplied the LCD panels) responsible and transfer the loss to their side (request to replace the supplied panels having the image-retention and burn-in issues with revised/fixed ones).