Expanding internal storage with SD card

Is it true that the SD card can help expand 16 GB internal storage on Nokia 5? 

Expanding internal storage with SD card

taher99 taher99
✭✭  /  edited November 2018
 Is it true that the SD card can help expand 16 GB internal storage on Nokia 5? 

Comments

• marcolopes marcolopes
    ✭✭✭  / 
    You have to format it as INTERNAL memory. (please EDIT the NAME of the topic!)
  • HMDLaura HMDLaura
    Staff member  / 
    I changed the topic name. 

When opening up a new topic please consider to give it a reasonable name so other users know what it is all about. 

Thanks, 
    Laura 
  • If using an SD card to expand the memory, make sure that it's a good quality card that won't slow down your Nokia 5.
  • nitheesh nitheesh
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    You can now set microSD cards to work as internal storage. Instead of having internal and external storage existing as separate spaces, Android views the card as an extension of the built-in memory.

You have to set it up first. Your card will be wiped in the process, so make sure you’ve backed up any data you need:

1. Insert the card into your phone. When the New SD Card notification appears, tap Set Up.
    2. Next, you need to choose how your phone should use the card. Select Phone Storage on Android 9, or Use as Internal Storage on older versions. Alternatively, go to Settings > Storage, tap the card, tap the menu button, and select Storage Settings. Tap Format as internal.
    3. In the next screen tap Format SD Card, or Erase & Format. This will wipe your card.
    4. On Android 9 you’re offered the chance to move your content—including apps—onto the card. It also shows you how much space you’ll save. Hit Move Content to complete.

• dresdenRoe dresdenRoe
     /  edited February 2019
    > @nitheesh said:
    > You can now set microSD cards to work as internal storage.
    >snip

While this is now possible, No one should do this at all. there is a lovely bug outlined here https://forum.xda-developers.com/nokia-6-2018/how-to/adoptable-storage-available-pie-update-t3873841
    that explains how making a SD card part of your internal memory on nokia 6.1 phones and then using this storage will corrupt your files. And unfortunately I can verify that with android 9 and the january security update this is still happening. lost a whole bunch of pictures and had to reload all my music and custom ringtones. I got really lucky that all my apps still work
  • marcolopes marcolopes
    ✭✭✭  / 
    > @nitheesh said:
    > You can now set microSD cards to work as internal storage.
    >snip

While this is now possible, No one should do this at all. there is a lovely bug outlined here https://forum.xda-developers.com/nokia-6-2018/how-to/adoptable-storage-available-pie-update-t3873841
    that explains how making a SD card part of your internal memory on nokia 6.1 phones and then using this storage will corrupt your files. And unfortunately I can verify that with android 9 and the january security update this is still happening. lost a whole bunch of pictures and had to reload all my music and custom ringtones. I got really lucky that all my apps still work
    Thanks for the heads up! One of the reasons i won't use the SD CARD as internal memory is because i cannot access any information on any other device... that's a big no no...