Nokia 8 - Half of display died

Just an issue I think you should be aware of Nokia, I bought a Nokia 8 in August (Australian variant) and about two weeks ago half of the display died in a vertical orientation (the right half).

Nokia 8 - Half of display died

shamuscg shamuscg
 /  edited October 5

Just an issue I think you should be aware of Nokia, I bought a Nokia 8 in August (Australian variant) and about two weeks ago half of the display died in a vertical orientation (the right half). Not sure if anyone else has had the same issue, but it's obviously a hardware issue as when I stopped using it for a while it would start working again.

I've put it in for a warrant repair, but am yet to get it back. Not sure if it is a random one off thing or whether it may be a fault in the design of the the display cable.

Comments

• Anna - Moderator Anna - Moderator
    ✭✭✭  /  edited July 28

Hi! Thanks for letting us know and sorry to hear that this happened to you. We hope you get it repaired soon, and get to enjoy your new Nokia 8 without any hiccups soon! 

Anna 

• user1518797748465 user1518797748465
     /  edited September 23

hi, I bought my Nokia 8 on November 2017 (united arab emirates), after a month has display dead and replaced under warranty, just 2 week back(now its 16 feb 2018) i noticed that the right half of the screen (vertical orientation) is always showing colorful dot during the boot only and after its working normally. Didn't do anything yet, might send to repair again since i still have the warranty.

• user1517576619805 user1517576619805
     /  edited September 15
    I'm having this issue for the third time now. It's long beyond a joke.

Both the previous times it's been repaired under warranty (which means shipping from the UK to Hungary and being without the phone for over a week) and have had new digitizers fitted both times. Issues exactly as you describe bit in my case it was the left hand side of the screen which failed. The first time eventually the whole screen died while I tried to copy data and factory reset.

@Nokia can you comment please, is this a known / common fault?
  • shamuscg shamuscg
     /  edited September 26
    When they sent mine away for repair, they replaced the PCB-A board on the phone along with the display.. I haven't had any issues since
  • LToMe LToMe
     /  edited September 23

Today, exactly the same thing happened to my Nokia 8. The right half of the screen is gray static. I bought my phone on January 4th 2018, so it's not even been 10 weeks. I was happy with my phone so far, but reading user1517576619805 comment about it happening for the third time, is making me quite anxious.

@Nokia: this doesn't seem to be an incident.

• user1522386180051 user1522386180051
     /  edited September 23

Today, i have same experience with my Nokia 8. The right half of screen is gray static. When i try screenshot it, the picture didn't have any gray static. May be this is hardware issue. I bought this phone at Indonesia on February 15th 2018, for me it's only 6 weeks + 1 days. I have problem with my volume down button too, this make me think that Nokia 8 still have many hardware failure.

• CamiloV CamiloV
     /  edited September 23

Well, today I'm sad to report the same problem, in my case being the left side of the screen.

Too bad that many user have this issue. Nokia, please review it sistematically!

The bad thing in my case is that I bought my cellphone in Germany, used it there without a problem, but after few months I moved to Colombia, and here the screen fails. I guess in this situation it will be hard for me to get support or warranty.

• user1523269136297 user1523269136297
     /  edited September 23

Me left side of screen died today.

• Zihad Zihad
     /  edited September 23
    This is very bad..even I am facing the same problem, My vertical right half of the display is stuck in dotted gray pixels, its been only 17days of purchase. Nokia haven't replied anything regarding this issue.

Disappointed as a costumer.
  • user1524437621503 user1524437621503
     /  edited September 23

hi I have same problem with my nokia 8 TA-1020 half of the screen just don't wanna show nothing just today working fine till 7pm and then I take the phone out from my poket I see the screen split in a half nothing wrong with the display is absolutely fine no cracks no damage at all I have the screen protection and case cover till day 1

can anyone help me

Thank you!

• Michiel Michiel
     /  edited September 23
    Hello. Same issue here. Left side of the screen showing grey static. This is the second time for me. (First time after 1 month and now 2 months after it was repaired) No problems until at some point you get the phone out of your pocket and half of the screen dies. First it goes away a couple of times but then it stays that way until repaired. Other than that I really love my Nokia 8 so I sincerely hope they will Nokia will fix this permanently. :-(
  • user1517576619805 user1517576619805
     /  edited September 23

Good luck everyone

After three screen repairs (plus a main camera repair), I've now sold my Nokia 8 as I just felt 100% confident that in another month or two, I would just be having the same problem again.This is clearly a pretty significant problem with the Nokia 8 which is a shame as it's a good phone otherwise (ignoring the abysmally slow terrible performance of the camera, of course)

• CamiloV CamiloV
     /  edited September 23

After many years and many different models, I have now moved away from Nokia, due to this screen problem and the lack of proper response from the company. It is the end of my "Nokia-loyalty" (it lasted long, but I guess they still don't care, I'm just another consumer). Disappointing.

As I mentioned before, I moved from the country where I bought the phone, so I can't claim my warranty unless I pay a very expensive international shipping and wait I don't know how long. Too bad. At the end it is my fault for trusting blindly in the quality of this brand, which is nothing compared to what it used to be... Now I have a 3-month old Nokia 8 phone with half screen dead, also, useless.

As another Finn said: Bye bye beautiful!

• Zihad Zihad
     /  edited September 15
    Even I had the same issue... Nokia replaced disply set and also the motherboard, No problem since then. (I think the issue was with LCD flex cable that ran through graphite plate, Which was loosing its integrity when the plate was heating, It used to become normal and working when phone cooled down to normal temperature)
  • user1525514492069 user1525514492069
     /  edited September 23
    Well guess that I'm just another one in the mix of unhappy customers with this Nokia 8. In just 6 days of usage, my phone already showed this issue. Thought that it was a software problem, because the static gray picture on locked screen clock is only half of its size, but I concluded that the usage of the phone, the heating or something else, causes this. If only I can know which batch of nokia 8's are defective, this would avoid my money back appliance.
  • SKPartho SKPartho
     /  edited September 23
    I am experiencing this same **** problem, I live in Bangladesh there are no official support trying to help me here.... I am also willing to spend money to make it work like new. Vertically left of the screen is static... And upon pressing the bottom middle of the display... The static Ness goes away... I'm using it for 6 months now... Very much disappointed
  • user1528195099769 user1528195099769
     /  edited September 23

I have been having the same issue since 2 days. I bought my nokia 8 on april 29th 2018 and the left half of my screen freezes. nokia authorised customer service center only reboot my phone to an older version and told me not to update to the new oreo.. Nokia india customer care is rude and is not helping in any way. my phone is under warranty. What can i do?

• nunopinto nunopinto
     /  edited September 23

It happened to me the same, unfortunately it is already the second time that Nokia 8 goes to repair. At this point I stopped trusting Nokia, unfortunately.

• user1530267566498 user1530267566498
     /  edited July 4

Hi all,

For users with this problem can you please provide us the model you have? TA-1004/TA-1012, etc. Thank you!

• Zihad Zihad
     /  edited August 25
    TA1004
  • LToMe LToMe
     / 
    TA-1012
  •  TA-1012 JUST GONE TO REPAIR CENTER

• Michiel Michiel
     / 

I have a TA1012. Second time in repair now (Dynalogic Netherlands). First time after one month of use sent for repair and a boardswap was performed worked for a few months after that and then the problem re-occurred :-(

• CamiloV CamiloV
     / 

@user1530267566498: I have a TA-1012, bought in Germany.

• saleg saleg
     /  edited August 25

TA-1004

• user1530267566498 user1530267566498
     /  edited August 25
    It seemes that there is a problem with a lot of phones, like the one with nexus 5x. Beeing lucky to have the problem in the first 30 days returning period of the online shop from where i purchased the phone, after i read this thread and a similar one on xda, i changed my phone with a different brand in same amount of money but with better build quality. I gave a chance to Nokia, but...
  • The model wa ta-1012
  • user1531126915588 user1531126915588
     /  edited July 9

Hi

I've started a thread in XDA a month ago, as I had the same problem as everyone else in this thread and the problem reoccurred. Please allow your input into XDA, you'll have more support from there.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nokia-8/how-to/nokia-8-ticking-time-bomb-make-extended-t3806643

I am feeling mostly sorry for any indian/asian buyers as they're being actively ignored by Nokia. Consumer rights?

• PS. my phone is TA1012 (UK)

• CamiloV CamiloV
     /  edited September 23

Wow I was just reading the thread in XDA  and found that user cption there posted this:

"My conversation with Nokia

what happens if my phone have the same fault again?
    it looks like its quite common
    my been repaired once already

16m ago

Nokia mobile care
    if you have a hardware issue with your phone, you have all the rights to send your phone for repair as many times as needed"

If it is true, then it is completely unacceptable. I'm glad that I already moved away from Nokia, this kind of statements is ridiculous (now I am a satisfied Huawei user for the first time, because I couldn't afford to be a couple of months without a cellphone waiting for repair.. Who can anyway?).

Prev1