Nokia 8 - Half of display died - Page 4

Hi @Andrutzu, thanks for sharing your experiences, it's very useful for us to know how many Nokia 8s get this fault and how HMD address the issue.Fingers…

Nokia 8 - Half of display died

Comments

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    Hi @Andrutzu, thanks for sharing your experiences, it's very useful for us to know how many Nokia 8s get this fault and how HMD address the issue.
    Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again!
    Cheers :)
  • Andrutzu Andrutzu
    ✭✭  / 
    <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/madbilly">madbilly</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText"><div>Hi @Andrutzu, thanks for sharing your experiences, it's very useful for us to know how many Nokia 8s get this fault and how HMD address the issue.</div><div>Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again!</div><div>Cheers :)
    </div></div>
    </blockquote>
    It's just sad to see HMD would prefer to swap phones even if this could not be profitable for them instead of searching for one fix and make consumer happier. This is now the reason why I still think if I should get the new Nokia phone or instead just switch to competition. The only reason I'm still considering Nokia it's because their warranty policy. I only hope the 3rd time I will get a refund. 
    Cheers .
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    Hi @Andrutzu, is the warranty policy for Nokia phones in your country better than the competition? I agree that I would prefer that they fixed the fault rather than just give another phone, but some people might actually prefer a new phone! You got the TA-1004 which I think is dual SIM so some people might prefer that. I read that someone else got given the 6GB/128GB version as a replacement and someone else got an 8.1 as a replacement. Personally I think that if my phone fails within the warranty period I will send it in with a list of phones I would like as a replacement, in order of preference! :D
  • user1508938037450 user1508938037450
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I would dislike to "change" my Smartphone. So, how I see it, many of the the problems here are problems of newer Nokia 8's, especially the TA-1004. My Nokia 8, a TA-1012, bought in Octobre 2017, works without one of this problems (yes, the bad camera-app has the same "problems" than the others. But, this was it). I hope, can use my Smartphone without this problems for the next months. Than it is time for a new Smartphone (not a "Nokia"). 
  • Andrutzu Andrutzu
    ✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Hi @Andrutzu, is the warranty policy for Nokia phones in your country better than the competition? I agree that I would prefer that they fixed the fault rather than just give another phone, but some people might actually prefer a new phone! You got the TA-1004 which I think is dual SIM so some people might prefer that. I read that someone else got given the 6GB/128GB version as a replacement and someone else got an 8.1 as a replacement. Personally I think that if my phone fails within the warranty period I will send it in with a list of phones I would like as a replacement, in order of preference! :D
    I'm living in Germany but I did send the phone to Hungary cause they use iQor to service their phones. I was meaning the warranty policy is good because they did not ask any questions regarding usage of the phone. Of course I would prefer they just fix it. My first Nokia was ta 1012 one sim  6gb and 128 gb the second are dual SIM (ta 1004) with the same specification. The TA 1012 broke down after one year. The second one TA 1004 only lasted about 3 months. So I guess the 1012 does not break down that often.
  • Andrutzu Andrutzu
    ✭✭  / 
    First repair

Second repair

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  /  edited July 2019
    Hi @user1508938037450, my TA-1012 was also first used in November 2017, so maybe you're right, maybe earlier models have a different display unit. We need to hear from more people about when they bought their Nokia 8s and when the display failed. @mrbelter?
    Hi @Andrutzu, 2 weeks turn around is okay, but I suppose they weren't repairing, just testing and replacing. Good to know your experiences though, thanks for sharing.
  • Evindzer Evindzer
    ✭✭✭  / 
    So, just use the other half of the screen, guys. 😁😁
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    So, how I see it, many of the the problems here are problems of newer Nokia 8's, especially the TA-1004. My Nokia 8, a TA-1012, bought in Octobre 2017, works without one of this problems
    As i said in the other thread which covers the same screen failing issue, my TA-1012 was bought in October (or November) 2017 and half the screen failed.
  • user1508938037450 user1508938037450
    ✭✭✭  /  edited July 2019
    I'm afraid, that HMD doesn't know the reason of the display-problem, too. Sorry, but so as I see it, the 8 is for HMD' her most hated "flagship". They hope, it will be "history", soon. 
  • i solved this problem
    after putting my phone nokia 8 in to freezer for the approx 10 minute
    in a thin plastic bag
    half screen problem solved
  • Andrutzu Andrutzu
    ✭✭  / 
    i solved this problem
    after putting my phone nokia 8 in to freezer for the approx 10 minute
    in a thin plastic bag
    half screen problem solved
    This won't last. It's a heat related problem. By doing so you are likely to kill the phone absolutely. Just send it in and get a replace.
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    Yes it the problem can be fixed by heating so it makes sense that freezing could also fix it, well done @vipin kumar Singh! However as @Andrutzu says it will only be a temporary fix :(
  • Edward Buzdea Edward Buzdea
    ✭✭  / 
    <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/shamuscg">shamuscg</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText"><div dir="ltr">
    <p>Just an issue I think you should be aware of Nokia, I bought a Nokia 8 in August (Australian variant) and about two weeks ago half of the display died in a vertical orientation (the right half). Not sure if anyone else has had the same issue, but it's obviously a hardware issue as when I stopped using it for a while it would start working again.</p>
    <p>
    </p>
    <p>I've put it in for a warrant repair, but am yet to get it back. Not sure if it is a random one off thing or whether it may be a fault in the design of the the display cable.</p>
    </div></div>
    </blockquote>
    Lo stesso problema cioè magicamente metà dello schermo è diventata improvvisamente grigia 
    ✭✭  /  edited August 2019
    <b>Un piccolo aiuto, allora ho ancora la garanzia ma non trovo più lo scontrino d'acquisto ne la fattura cosa posso fare, cioè la garanzia è valida, oppure no? Mi si è chiuso in un modo anomalo è poi, quando l'ho acceso è apparso metà grigio cosa devo fare? Ho controllato sul sito Nokia con il codice IMEI per vedere se è ancora in garanzia ed, lo è....</b>
    ✭✭  /  edited August 2019
    Help?
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    As you can see from this thread (and if you search for the forum you will find other threads) the fault your phone has is unfortunately more common than we would like, and seems to be becoming more frequent.
    It could be a display cable problem. However, heat (or cold) has been found to be a temporary fix sometimes. I did post some info a while ago that the heat test can be used to diagnose if the problem is with the screen or the circuit board.
    However, the faulty part is a mute point because it appears that many Nokia 8s are not being repaired, they are instead being replaced with another model of phone. This may be what is going to happen with yours, so I suggest that you email support to ask for an update and to tell them if it can't be repaired what model of phone you would like as a replacement (considering that the 2018 version of the Nokia 8 is generally lower spec although with a better camera and overall smoother and less buggy operation, according to some who have used both).
  • Him Him
    ✭✭  / 
    Fixed it by giving hard pressure at the left bottom corner of the screen.
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    Hi @HIm, wow, that's an unlikely fix! :smiley:
  • baynoli baynoli
     /  edited October 2019
    Same issue here, after installing October Security Updates. Phone got weird problem, like unresponsive fingerprint, restarting itself, black screen eventually half of the display is dead. Sadly my phone is out of warranty already 2yrs. Reading through this forum, make me sad and disbelief that not even an official statement from Nokia acknowledge it and try to reached out to its customer.
    Eventually this forum will be in history without any Justice.
  • TimeZone TimeZone
    ✭✭  /  edited December 2019
    Same issue with me and my friend. He got his device replaced the next day and it's been 3 weeks and I'm still waiting for parts!!!
  • Hi
    My phone got same week ago. Why technicians from HMD Global not giving any comments if they knew about this fault? All phones with this fault schould be repaired for free even are not under warranty.
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @Artur Nadolny, well depending on the laws in your country you could be correct. In France, any defects hidden at the time of purchase have the be repaired by the manufacturer even beyond the warranty date. I believe there's a similar law in the UK and other European countries too.

But the reason that HMD don't is obvious - they don't want to spend the money. In fact, warranties on sold devices must be one of their biggest liabilities.

If your phone is out of warranty and you can't get it repaired for a reasonable price then all I can suggest is getting another phone, transferring all of your data (try chromecast or miracast to TV to still be able to use the phone to do this as it will still show all the display), resetting this old phone and selling it for parts on Ebay or similar.

Cheers 🙂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

If it an offical screen you are waiting for you will be waiting forever, there isnt any.

• Hey all,

I got the same problem. The phone went at the end of November in Hungary for warranty fixes and now it's Dec 24th and they still waiting for parts. I've pinged three times the live support service for inquiries, nothing besides standard answers. Now i don't know where else can i escalate my problem.

One of the live chat operators actually insisted that such cases are taking about 18 days to be fixed. That happened long time ago.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

There isn't any official Nokia 8 screens left and there hasn't been for some time, April 23rd when mine packed in and there wasn't any official screens available even then (link to thread to show date https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/46869/and-then-suddenly-this-happened/p1 )

• can make sense but why does the customer has to go through this kind of stuff, IMHO having to honor a warranty contract is legally binding for HMD. I also wonder if they will update my warranty with the number of days my device stayed in warranty. Now i am digging for some upper echelon where i can fill my complains. it's too bad since the device is nice but the customer in need of assistance is mistreated so bad

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @Nick Sercaianu the difference is that @MrBelter took his phone back to the point-of-sale I think, whereas you used the online repair request tool set up by HMD, so you didn't request repair from the same people, although the result should be the same.

I don't know what to suggest except shouting loudly and threatening to take them to court to get your phone, a replacement or your money back - 6 weeks is too long to reasonably wait.

Maybe you can message of the forum admins directly, although you should know they are in a completely different part of HMD Global's organisation from the technical support team.

Please tell us how you get on.

Cheers 🙂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@madbilly i sent my phone back to where i bought it from and they then sent it back to an HMD authorised repair service who could not fix it due to a lack of screens.

• Nick Sercaianu Nick Sercaianu
    ✭✭  / 

Hi @madbilly , @admin . I guess i should have do that. At least the local retailer has a 1 month waiting policy then refund / other device . But I've trusted Nokia / HMD instead... I do my best not to shout at the support people because...I know their reach inside the organisation (for which they may be just contractors) is limited. These being said, the court part may actually be a solution. It's January already and the device is still off. As far as i know this can be even interpreted as theft.