Nokia 8 - Half of display died - Page 5

@Nick Sercaianu the main forum admins are HMDLaura and Franziska.

Nokia 8 - Half of display died

Comments

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

@Nick Sercaianu the main forum admins are HMDLaura and Franziska.

I think the court route depends on two things 1) the laws in your country and 2) if you can find a postal address for HMD Global! (except the one in Finland, obviously).

I know what you mean about going easy on the support team, but sometimes they need to be told that reading from the script is not sufficient and they need to use their brains sometimes and know when to escalate an issue.

As well as the chat method you can also email then, which I have found to be preferable sometimes. Otherwise the only option I can think of is to visit a Nokia Care Centre and ask them to follow up the issue, but it depends if you have one nearby.

Cheers 🙂

• Nick Sercaianu Nick Sercaianu
    ✭✭  / 

Hey @madbilly ,

Thanks for the pointers. IMHO court shouldn't be an option but threatening to go there has some effect with some people. These being said , i got today an email from HMD that my repairs are done and i should expect some shipment to be delivered soon. So good news, after so much time.

Personally i would like to thank you and @MrBelter for your replies. Much appreciated.

A fine 2020 ahead for all of you.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @Nick Sercaianu, glad to hear you should soon get your phone back, I hope it's properly repaired and running smoothly!

Cheers 🙂

• user1508928527225 user1508928527225
    ✭✭✭  / 

Oh well, this also happened to my Nokia 8 now. Since getting it serviced at this point is very likely quite impossible, I suppose it's time to start looking for a new phone after 2.5 years. At least this is the kind of non-catastrophic failure where migrating any data not synced to cloud will be easy.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Given the amount of Nokia 8s this has happened to I'd love HMD to have the guts to explain what the problem actually was in the end.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @user1508928527225, sad news, thanks for sharing though, it's useful to know.

@MrBelter I agree, but I feel like this is a company which never admits mistakes or shortcomings, no matter how obvious.

Cheers 🙂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

They don't have to admit anything, the problem is pretty clear for the world to see 😁. Given the Nokia 8 is dead is would be great if they could explain it, not only would people appreciate the honesty for once it might just help people that are hanging on to their Nokia 8s for grim death.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @MrBelter that's kind of what I meant - some honesty and humility would go a long way. From memory, I did find some info on this and one causes is a faulty connector, but others include the display unit and the mainboard, so it's not exactly clear to an end user how to fix it themselves.

Cheers 🙂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

HMD seem to have been the most unhelpful, uncooperative and ignorant mobile phone company i have ever come across and that is a real shame because i still want them to be super successful but they have to start acknowledging issues that their loyal (some blindly loyal) user base present to them.

Flying people out to big events is all great for show but clearly they don't listen to the people that attend and they clearly do not listen the feedback given via the internet, it is all very arrogant.

• user1508928527225 user1508928527225
    ✭✭✭  / 

Thanks @madbilly! Even though HMD's current lineup didn't have any phones that would seem like a good fit for my preferences and I haven't been exactly impressed by them lately, I'll probably lurk on the forum at least for a while.

Who knows, maybe they'll get out of the slumber they appear to have been for a while now and produce something that will tickle my fancy when I start looking for a new phone in a couple of years from now on.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

I think HMD are still in the mode of surviving, so they take feedback on the 80-20 rule... and the 80% of the feedback they read says everything's great! Except if it's on twitter, then maybe 1% constructive feedback get's through 😉

I remain cautiously optimistic that we'll start to see some "wow" phones that really do tick boxes, but I'm not sure they'll ever start communicating openly with us about faults etc, it just doesn't seem in the nature of the leadership there.

Cheers 🙂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I dont think there has been a problem with the phones myself it is HMD and their support.

The Nokia 8 was exceptional when it was launched, it is just a shame shortly after it came out designs took a leap forward with notches, bigger screens and cameras improved with multiple focal lengths however HMD never fulfilled their camera promises and left it running software where one of the most important security functions requires a specific charging regime to work.

The Nokia 8.1 was (and still is) a lovely thing to hold that works well but HMD played silly beggars by letting some people have the notch on while forcing others to have it off and then in time honoured fashion released an update that was poor and 5 months down the line has yet to be fixed.

The Nokia 7.1 was one of the best value phones out there for me but that has got a problem where when gets an update it is entirely possible for it to chuck a wobbly and it either needs the system software fully restoring at a service center or you have to factory reset it if you have been lucky. Again HMD dont appear to have addressed this, my mums phone has had it happen 4 times now and it is quite inconvenient.

Clearly i might have been very unfortunate with the 3 models have used and the rest of the range might be spot on but my old bones are telling me this isn't the case.

To be honest that is all a bit of a ramble, i'd have been much better just saying once HMD have your money they do not appear to care, they would much rather you just buy a new model.

• doanhiep doanhiep
    ✭✭  / 

My Nokia 8 now has this problem too.

I fixed this phone once because of the auto-restarting battery problem, and now this.

And some people say that this is a recurring problem.

I don't know if I should try to repair it again or just give up and buy a new phone.

Very disappointed!

• Hitman01983 Hitman01983
    ✭✭  / 

Nokia 8 TA-1012 Part 1

Hi everyone, I am so upset about this issue. December 2017 I bought a Nokia 8 TA-1012 online through a local Cellphone dealer here in South Africa. 2 weeks after receiving it, half of the screen went static. I took it back to ome of the company's shops where I had bought it from and it was sent to Vodacom Advanced Repair Centre where they had got it from. After 3 weeks I was getting uneasy and started to enquire about the repair being given one excuse after the other. The phone was relatively new to the market at this stage and I don't think they knew what the problem was. After a lot of fifhting and mud slinging etc in March 2018 they finally declared it OBF and sent Me a new phone and I was re assured it won't happen again as it was apparently first time they ever heard of such a problem and it is a once off issue.. I had used it ever since without any problems up until 2 weeks ago when half the screen went static again.

• Hitman01983 Hitman01983
    ✭✭  / 

Nokia 8 TA-1012 Part 2

I contacted the dealership again and enquired about the warranty status and i was told it is still covered and I must bring the device in. I explained My concerns to the shop manager as by now this has become a general issue with this model. He said I am not to worry and it will be sent to the Vodacom Advanced Repair Centre once again to be sorted. After a 2 weeks I het an sms from the Repair Centre saying I muat contact them in regards with My Quote for repair. Quote? What Quote? I contacted the shop manager instead which in turn said He will find out what is happening. After a while He called Me and said, He is very sorry but they are not repairing my phone due to a tiny chip and crack on the left bottom corner of my screen which had happen a year earlier as this was apparently the cause of the hardware failure.. I am like, are You serious? Unfortunately yes but You can have it repaired for R4028,00. I declined and asked for the phone to be returned. I feel robbed and disappointed since I have supported Nokia all of My Life and I feel like customers are not cared about no matter how loyal Yiu are and in cases like this they just look for any excuse to rob You. I am currently in the process of reporting them to the Ombudsman and I am going to fight this till the end. Wish Me luck and I hope the outcome will be satisfying in the end. Just feel bad that one has to go to such extent for something they know is not right.

Very Unhappy Customer...

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @Hitman01983,

That's very disappointing for you. You are right that this is a systemic issue with this model of smartphone, it has happened to a large number of them.

Best of luck with your case, please let me us know how it goes.

Cheers 🙂