Expand Internal Storage - Nokia 7.1

Hi all,  Any users of Nokia 7.1 or Nokia customer representative,

Expand Internal Storage - Nokia 7.1

Hi all, 

Any users of Nokia 7.1 or Nokia customer representative,

would you be able to confirm that the phone memory can be extended with SD Card as Internal storage? 

A Thread on Nokia 6.1 forum is revealing this is now available with Pie

You can now set microSD cards to work as internal storage. Instead of having internal and external storage existing as separate spaces, Android views the card as an extension of the built-in memory.

You have to set it up first. Your card will be wiped in the process, so make sure you’ve backed up any data you need:

1. Insert the card into your phone. When the New SD Card notification appears, tap Set Up.
  2. Next, you need to choose how your phone should use the card. Select Phone Storageon Android 9, or Use as Internal Storage on older versions. Alternatively, go to Settings > Storage, tap the card, tap the menu button, and select Storage Settings. Tap Format as internal.
  3. In the next screen tap Format SD Card, or Erase & Format. This will wipe your card.
  4. On Android 9 you’re offered the chance to move your content—including apps—onto the card. It also shows you how much space you’ll save. Hit Move Content to complete.

Thanks,

Tagged:

Comments

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    Yes you can do this - in fact it is not new, it has existed in Android for years. However, you should be aware that you will not be able to read the SD card in any other machine as it will be encrypted and locked to your Android phone. Also, if you remove it, some apps and functionality might break.
  • On the 7.1 & Oreo 8.1.0 if the SD card is already setup as Portable Storage, can it be reset as Device Storage.  In Storage Settings I can Format, but doing so still leaves it as Device Storage? 
  • freakk freakk
    ✭✭  / 
    I just got a Nokia 7.1, currently on Andoird 8.1.0, and when I insert the sd card (Sandisk Ultra SDXC 128GB) it only shows the option to format it as portable storage, not as internal storage.
    I have a 64Gb sd card formatted as internal storage in my previous phone (Moto G5), done when it was still on Android 7.
  • Nokia 7.1 with Pie don´t allow to use the micro sd as internal storage
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    Really? That's strange, I wonder if that's a new "feature" of Android 9, or if it's a bug in the Nokia 7.1 firmware. Have you contacted support directly about this? https://www.nokia.com/phones/locale/support

• Tartarus Tartarus
    ✭✭  / 
    Is there going to be a fix for this. I just unboxed my new 7.1 and there is no option to use the SD for internal storage. I think I'll box it back up and swap it!
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    Did you contact support about it?
  • Internet addict Internet addict
    ✭✭  / 
    @Tartarus i would swap the 7.1 as soon as possible if i where you. The phone is a total mess and Nokia isnt trust worthy.
  • steve steve
    ✭✭✭  /  edited January 6
    My device gives the option to use as internal but I'd rather keep it as just external.

If I hadn't already started filling my card with old Motorsport and studio pics I'd go through the process of formatting as internal and screenshot everything, but I'm not about starting emptying my card again :-) 

Could there be a card issue for the person not able to use as internal ? 
  • Our firmware don´t allow us use the microsd as internal storage. It´s not an issue it´s a Nokia decision.
  • steve steve
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Ah maybe I saw the SD as internal option before the update then...isn't having an SD as internal rather slow though ? As in not as fast as native internal storage ? 
  • Yojan Yojan
    ✭✭  / 
    Nokia 7.1 with Pie don´t allow to use the micro sd as internal storage
    My device has the same issue. With my Nokia 6 with Android Oreo I can format the micro SD card as internal, but I can't do it with my Nokia 7.1 with Android Pie...
  • It´s hard to understand
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    If you have the problem and haven't contacted support about it yet then please do, it's essential that they know this is a bug that affects a large number of users.
  • Dwayne Wilkinson Dwayne Wilkinson
    ✭✭  /  edited January 10
    It is possible on the Nokia 7.1 to do this.  Nokia has hidden the option, the following Web site takes you through the process of formatting an SD Card as internal storage, I have done it on mine and works a treat:

https://www.modaco.com/news/android/heres-how-to-configure-adoptable-storage-on-your-s7-s7-edge-r1632/

Even though this is for a Samsung phone it is using standard Android commands.  You'll need to download some software from Google here:

https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools

Here's my storage settings:

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  /  edited January 10
    @Dwayne Wilkinson Great tip! Thanks for sharing. And this will help people become more familiar with the technical side of their pocket telecommunications and computing device!
  • That's cool, but we are asking for that feature in a native way through an update