is it worth buying nokia 8 in 2018?

Hi There!Just want to know if your Nokia 8 is working smoothly up till now as i have heard many rumors of its screen half dead and some mic issues.

is it worth buying nokia 8 in 2018?

Hi There!
Just want to know if your Nokia 8 is working smoothly up till now as i have heard many rumors of its screen half dead and some mic issues. I planning to purchase nokia 8 this week and would definitly want some assurity over this issue as i don't want to waste my money if this issue is so common.
Tagged:

Answers

• duncadelic duncadelic
    ✭✭  / 
    I've had my Nokia 8 for very nearly 14 months now and its fine, and I still easily get a full day of battery life too and sometimes even more, if you can find one for a very good price it's still a good phone, but bear in mind there will be a few new Nokia phones announced on December the 5th but some of these will of course be quite a lot more money. 
  • marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited November 2018
    @duncadelic have you noticed the screen burn-in issue that so many users reported? Initially I thought it's just on a few phones, but throughout this last month that I've had it more and more users report the screen burn in.

Some say they've tested their phones for burn-in using https://marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html (please note that the site shows a warning regarding possible damage, it's probably a disclaimer for just in case, but i thought you should know)

Later edit: just ran the test from the above-mentioned site. I can see the image retention 😒 but pretty faded, not very noticeable. Then again I've only had it for a month ☹️ eff that...
  • petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I'm also happy with Nokia 8. I use it for 12 months and it's no problem. I do not have a screen problem yet. I recommend this phone :)
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Had mine over a year and not had any issues other than a mildly bright spot over the finger print sensor but just like user1508928527225 i have all on even noticing it and then the screen needs to be white. My wife's is around 3 months old and there are no issues to report with hers either.

John Lewis currently have the Nokia 8 for £219.99, it is no brainer when you look at what you can get for that price.

• Yes you can go for it you get the last year's flagship processor that to very cheaper camera and battery backup is decent but if your priority is camera and battery then go for Nokia 7 plus it's also worthier I am a very heavy user guy using Nokia 7 plus till now I haven't faced any major issues getting flagship experience from Snapdragon 660 but if you are okay with display aspect ratio and specs getting from Nokia 8 then it's a very good deal as well or increase the budget and get 8 sirrocco It's damn good

• I bought my Nokia 8 128gb in August and have not been disappointed. I am a very light user and my battery lasts for nearly 4 days. I have had no problems at all from it, and whoever I have tried anything it simply works. I decided that for the £299 I paid for it there was not a phone available to compete with it, the John Lewis offer for the 64gb model at £215.99 puts it in the same place. If you want top quality, well made and feeling solid in your hand with the capability to do anything for an affordable price you can not go wrong.
  • Keith Keith
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Have had mine for just over a year. Phone is still fast. No screen issues on mine. I thought only OLed screens suffered from burn In. 
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    The only problems I have with my 8 are the ones I caused myself! Oh, and I wish I'd got the dual SIM, 128gb copper version!
  • redskua redskua
    ✭✭✭  / 
    kd5379 said:
    Yes you can go for it you get the last year's flagship processor that to very cheaper camera and battery backup is decent but if your priority is camera and battery then go for Nokia 7 plus it's also worthier I am a very heavy user guy using Nokia 7 plus till now I haven't faced any major issues getting flagship experience from Snapdragon 660 but if you are okay with display aspect ratio and specs getting from Nokia 8 then it's a very good deal as well or increase the budget and get 8 sirrocco It's damn good

Sirroco 8, you pay serious money for a "flagship" that does not even have  OIS on the camera. What is HMD thinking...???
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    OIS isn't the be all and end all and can even become counter productive at higher shutter speeds. On the Sirocco depending on which of the lenses you are shooting with a shutter speed of 1/25th and 1/50th of a second should be sufficient to eliminate camera shake.

Shooting in poor light is a different kettle of fish but even then OIS is only any use for still subjects given the slow shutter speeds involved.
  • Purchased mine through Amazon this year (on "Prime day") for 299€ + VAT. No problem whatsoever. Highly recommended. Best smartphone I have since the venerable Nokia E75. :-)
    Don't think it makes sense paying more for the 128 MB version, since there is expansion through microSD, and you can get a 128 GB card for around 20€ (https://www.amazon.de/dp/B073S8TQH6/)

• I can only agree with what the others say. Best smartphone I ever had and a bargain for today's prices. Still fast. 
  • Just bought the phone and am reading about people having screen issues ..I just hope I won't have such 
  • marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Some have reported to have the phone from the beginning without screen issues. But most of the discussions are about the problems. May you be blessed with a good screen
  • marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Don't throw it away, at least it looks good, you may have a fancy paperweight since you've thrown your money at the likes of HMD
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Unfortunately I didn't learn anything about the Nokia 8 screen issues in Dubai. It's possible I may get chance to ask someone tomorrow, but naturally tonight was all about the new phone, it's all anyone wanted to talk about.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Not often i moan about HMD but what a joke Dubai was, all that pomp and ceremony to launch an existing product under a different name. What an absolute waste of money and resources.

Today we are proud to launch the biggest notch known to man (again).
  • marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited December 2018
    Also about the event, yet another bunch of "promises" about updates, super camera... I remember being promised the same on my Nokia 8 when I bought it...

Also the way Juho spoke... Perhaps he read the forums and Twitter before going on the stage? Could his "traffic" delay have been actually him reading the so many angry people asking for much overdue "promised" updates?

Right now I wouldn't trust them if they told me it's raining outside, even with me standing in the pouring rain...
  • I just bought the Nokia 8 last week and I have been having issues with my screen hanging after I perform some task. I would have to restart the phone to get it back to normal. And sometimes the screen does not respond to touch immediately. I want to know if this common with the phone because I have an option of a replacement or refund. What do you guys think.
  • I just bought the Nokia 8 last week and I have been having issues with my screen hanging after I perform some task. I would have to restart the phone to get it back to normal. And sometimes the screen does not respond to touch immediately. I want to know if this common with the phone because I have an option of a replacement or refund. What do you guys think.
  • LennartB LennartB
     /  edited December 2018
    I just bought the Nokia 8 last week and I have been having issues with my screen hanging after I perform some task. I would have to restart the phone to get it back to normal. And sometimes the screen does not respond to touch immediately. I want to know if this common with the phone because I have an option of a replacement or refund. What do you guys think.
    Get a replacement, i have no such issue with mine.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I agree, get a replacement.
  • Sure it's a great phone. I used to own a Sony with flagship specs. So I was on the lookout for features like good IPS rating, great photo and video capabilities and sound etc. The Nokia 8 falls short on all these features. But the cost of ticking all the boxes was upward of 3x the price of the Nokia 8. Could I live with the compromises? After 3 months I find that the lower specs on IPS rating, camera, etc., are far from deal breakers. The Nokia 8 is a fast, responsive phone with real good build quality. At around USD 250 I think it offers amazing value. I am rarely disappointed by its performance in daily use. My key issue with the phone is with its camera; I feel it's hardware should be more than capable of delivering much better photos. The phone struggles with focus and lighting. It's sound quality is a bit tinny, but loud, and speaker placement is a bit awkward. But run through its specs and you may be surprised by what you could get. I know I was. Its running Oreo;  waiting on Pie. Hope this helps.
  • Craig B Craig B
     /  edited December 2018
    Here is my rant/review about the Nokia 8.
    https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/21950/a-serious-question-about-quality-assurance-and-the-camera#latest

You can pick one up online for £200 and provided the camera is not a deal breaker then it's worth every penny. Actually at 200 pound the camera is satisfactory and I love the boothie mode....me and my girlfriend found some novel uses for the dual cam set up which wouldn't be appropriate for Nokias marketing drive ;-)

For 200 quid your getting a huge amount of solid, quality technology - I think because it wasn't a commercial success, prices were savagely reduced but the phone is actually an incredible bit of kit when bought at the 200 pound price point....I mean it out performs the iPhone X on speed tests!
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    The price is now down to 200 pounds?! Makes me feel a little bit sick at the thought of how much it was sold for not many months ago...
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I paid £399 for mine as it was almost instantly discounted in the UK when it came out, the one i got for my missus was £249 and my mate got his other half one last week for Christmas for £219.

I don't even think the camera has been a deal breaker at any price, i have had some wonderful shots on it providing it isn't too dark but even then if you tap to focus first and remain steady it aint half bad, it is just that the Gcam port is so much better.
  • купил Нокия 8, тестирую вторую неделю, пока всё ОК.
      Подскажите какую лучьше приобрести гарнитуру-Bluetooth что б в машине можно использовать?
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I can't suggest anything, I don't have a bluetooth headset.
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I paid more than 800 USD, now it's down to 450 USD.
    Considering how HMD treats Nokia 8 and poor LGD display panel quality, I definitely do not recommend it.