Call volume too low

Hi,  The call volume on my Nokia 6.1 is really low.  It's OK with a headset but using the phone in the normal way I can barely hear it even with the call v…

Call volume too low

ewgoforth ewgoforth
✭✭  / 
Hi, 

The call volume on my Nokia 6.1 is really low.  It's OK with a headset but using the phone in the normal way I can barely hear it even with the call volume all the way up.  I don't recall it always being like this, I've had it a month.  I'm wondering if the speaker is dying or if the Android Pie upgrade messed it up. 

Comments

• gomoku gomoku
     / 
    My wife and I each own a Nokia 7.1. We are on T-Mobile. The audio quality on our phone calls had been deteriorating, with all sorts of background noise and low volume, to the point where we could not understand the person at the other end.

T-Mobile were completely incapable iof diagnosing the issue. We got unsatisfactory, scripted answers mentioning poor coverage,  unblocked phones, the upcoming 5G, and other erroneous and laughable opinions not backed by fact. It was suggested we change carrier if we were so unhappy, this after 12 or more years as 'valued customers.'.

Mr. T-Mobile Magenta CEO, I am talking to you.

Today, after experimenting (I am a process engineer), we found a fix. We turned off Enhanced 4G LTE Services, under Network/Internet  -> Mobile Network -> Advanced settings.  

Proper volume is restored, audio is crystal clear. 

Hope this helps someone.

Regards,
    - Dario Boriani
  • ewgoforth ewgoforth
    ✭✭  /  edited January 30
    gomoku said:
    My wife and I each own a Nokia 7.1. We are on T-Mobile. The audio quality on our phone calls had been deteriorating, with all sorts of background noise and low volume, to the point where we could not understand the person at the other end.

T-Mobile were completely incapable iof diagnosing the issue. We got unsatisfactory, scripted answers mentioning poor coverage,  unblocked phones, the upcoming 5G, and other erroneous and laughable opinions not backed by fact. It was suggested we change carrier if we were so unhappy, this after 12 or more years as 'valued customers.'.

Mr. T-Mobile Magenta CEO, I am talking to you.

Today, after experimenting (I am a process engineer), we found a fix. We turned off Enhanced 4G LTE Services, under Network/Internet  -> Mobile Network -> Advanced settings.  

Proper volume is restored, audio is crystal clear. 

Hope this helps someone.

Regards,
    - Dario Boriani

Any idea what you lose if you do that?   Does that turn off the T-Mobile Extended Range LTE?  I use a T-Mobile MVNO and the Extended Range LTE helps my coverage a lot.
  • gomoku gomoku
     / 
    Sorry, no. Whatever the possible downside of turning that feature off, not being able to make sense of garbled screeches on all calls makes it imperative.
  • Same situation- Wife and I are T-mobile and it is usually between our calls to each other. sometimes others. I'll try this.
  • adriano adriano
    ✭✭  / 
    I faced the same issue, i tried everything but nothing happened, so I had no choice and I sent the phone to assistance. I got it back yesterday and now it works fine, I don't know what they did but I think it was a hardware issue because they opened my phone and replaced display