Nokia 8 Sirocco update to Pie - Page 4

Just update manually, like most people here.

Nokia 8 Sirocco update to Pie

Comments

• valyo_bg valyo_bg
    ✭✭  /  edited February 2019
    Just update manually, like most people here. There is no sense to wait if you can download update file from the several topics below in this forum and update within 20 minutes.
  • valyo_bg said:
    Just update manually, like most people here. There is no sense to wait if you can download update file from the several topics below in this forum and update within 20 minutes.
    Of course I could. But it is supposed to be automatic, and most users will not know to do so. Moreover, it is not just Pie. My latest security patch is 1 December, when February's is being rolled out. 
    My reason for leaving this comment is mainly to find out whether others are in the same boat. Either there is a server problem, or it is specific to a block of model numbers, which I suspect is the case. If there is a snag applying the update to a particular build, I would prefer that were sorted first.
  • HoboCadet HoboCadet
    ✭✭  / 
    mine is unlocked , using sim on the EE network - still no update
  • ThomasIch ThomasIch
    ✭✭  / 
    I am in Switzerland. My Sirocco is on android 8.1, SP December 18, meaning that currently I am waiting for SP January 19 and android 9.

When I bought the phone with AndoridOne, the deal was
    - at least two years of main android updated
    - at least three years of security patches

In roughly seven months Google will present android 10.
    Dear Nokia, should I ever get android 9, will that count as one major android release? I hope not honestly.
    Even more important for me are the security patches. With phones being used for more and more delicate activities like banking and such, I feel it is not acceptable jumping a patching cycle.

I remember a different Nokia from the nintith and start of new millenium. Hopefully HMD Nokia will choose the red pill from now on ;-)
  • tonyb tonyb
    ✭✭  / 
    Hi all, my Nokia 8 Sirocco was purchased SIM free and not locked to a network.  I am currently using an EE SIM on a pay monthly contract.
    I too have been checking daily for the pie update.  I checked EE website and there was no mention of pie testing for the 8 Sirocco.
    I happen to have a Tesco Pay as you go SIM so I put this in and when I powered the phone on it immediately advised me that the update to pie was ready to download and I accepted that.
    When I was promptedto restart I powered off the phone, reinstalled the EE SIM and loo and behold I had pie running 😁
    The only downside is that I seem to have lost the EE WiFi Calling capability.

This is clear proof that EE are holding up the release of pie to the 8 Sirocco in the UK.
    Hopefully when EE complete their testing I will get WiFi calling back.

• ThomasIch ThomasIch
    ✭✭  / 
    One day after my comment of waiting for Pie it arrived to my phone. Right after the upgrade, also the January 19 patches arrived.
    But still, I am not happy with the deliverd service.
    Android 9 arrived to my with 6.5 months of delay. Patch delivery for Oreo stopped in Dicember.
    I hope this will work better during the android 10 rollout.
  • todesurteil todesurteil
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Strange that you haven't received Pie in the UK yet, as to my knowledge even Vodacom in South Africa, part of the Vodafone group, I believe, has released Pie on the 25th of January. 
  • DsL DsL
    Before I had this phone I had the Microsoft Lumia 950 XL, I had high hopes for HMD/Nokia and Android but the lateness of the update along with the lack of information and communication reminds me of that time.

Still no sign of the update here in the UK, maybe EE is still in the process of testing, who knows I wasn't able to get a straight answer from them either. Yes, I am aware that I could manually update, but that isn't the point.
  • tonyb tonyb
    ✭✭  / 
    I note that I now have EE WiFi calling reinstated on my 8 Sirocco so perhaps EE are getting close to approving Pie for rollout?

Overall I am happy with the performance of pie and have not noticed anything detrimental.  The camera interface has changed, much better than the previous version though.
  • I note that I now have EE WiFi calling reinstated on my 8 Sirocco so perhaps EE are getting close to approving Pie for rollout? 

Overall I am happy with the performance of pie and have not noticed anything detrimental.  The camera interface has changed, much better than the previous version though.

I too am on EE in the UK. I manually updated to PIE, but cannot get any new (security) updates for my phone. I too am hopeful that its coming... can you please keep me posted?
  • DsL DsL
    I note that I now have EE WiFi calling reinstated on my 8 Sirocco so perhaps EE are getting close to approving Pie for rollout? 

I too am on EE in the UK. I manually updated to PIE, but cannot get any new (security) updates for my phone. I too am hopeful that its coming... can you please keep me posted?

As soon as I know the update is available on EE I will post on forum.
  • DaveyNavy DaveyNavy
    ✭✭  / 
    It's now March and still no official OTA pie update for Sirocco in UK .... Anyone  in UK  received OTA update?
    I'm thinking about installing the manual update provided by audioboxer.. 
    Would appreciate your thoughts...
  • DsL DsL
    ✭✭  /  edited March 2019
    @DaveyNavy

No, still nothing on EE at least.. my security patches are from December 2018! I may try asking EE for a progress report, but I'm not holding out much hope that I will get a straight answer.

EDIT:
    Expected response from EE, see below:

Hi  

We always aim to deliver software updates to customers in as efficient a manner as possible. We work tirelessly to make sure that any updates do not have a negative impact on how your phone behaves on a day-to-day basis, so we test them thoroughly. If anything is found, the manufacturer usually needs a week or two to fix these and then send back to us to re-test. 

We have no reason to unnecessarily withhold or delay any software or security updates.

Thanks - 
  • DsL said:
    @DaveyNavy

No, still nothing on EE at least.. my security patches are from December 2018! I may try asking EE for a progress report, but I'm not holding out much hope that I will get a straight answer.

EDIT:

Hi  

We always aim to deliver software updates to customers in as efficient a manner as possible. We work tirelessly to make sure that any updates do not have a negative impact on how your phone behaves on a day-to-day basis, so we test them thoroughly. If anything is found, the manufacturer usually needs a week or two to fix these and then send back to us to re-test. 

We have no reason to unnecessarily withhold or delay any software or security updates.

Thanks - 

Typical response for any MNO customer support.... They haven't a clue what's going on at device level!

Mine updates straight away with a sim from another operator (I use a LycaMobile sim) inserted, and a manual check for OTA updates!

Once updated, power off, insert EE sim, all done! 
  • DsL DsL
    ✭✭  / 
    DsL said:
    @DaveyNavy

EDIT:

Hi  

Thanks - 

Typical response for any MNO customer support.... They haven't a clue what's going on at device level!

Mine updates straight away with a sim from another operator (I use a LycaMobile sim) inserted, and a manual check for OTA updates!

Once updated, power off, insert EE sim, all done! 
    I might give that a try.. the second response from the customer service representative was a kinda of "off script":

"I appreciate it is not ideal but it will be ASAP. 

Thanks"

I agree that they probably don't know what's happening on a device level, so I didn't really press for answers, after all they are just ordinary workers like myself.
  • Southy Southy
    ✭✭  / 
    I'm on BT mobile (EE) and no updates since Dec 18, and I've been reading comments on here about different network sims working to install updates, so I've just put my work phone sim in (O2) and hey presto, it updated to pie straight away, thanks everyone :) 
  • Terrytubby Terrytubby
    ✭✭  / 
    Pyves said:
    DsL said:
    Pyves said:
    DaveyNavy said:
    Anyone in the UK have the pie update?
    Yes, received it last week. :)
    Hi there, can I ask what network you're on? Because I am on EE in the UK and my sirocco still hasn't received the updated.
    I didn't buy my phone as part of a carrier plan, I got it unlocked from John Lewis.
    Mine is unlocked in the UK, but still doesn't have the update
  • rich rich
    ✭✭  / 
    DsL said:
    @DaveyNavy

Did EE in the uk supply the sirocco? I'm with  an EE virtual partner and they tell me the updates have nothing to do with them and it's down to the manufacturer to push the updates through. It makes no sense for a network to approve software for a phone they've never sold!
    Like others have found,  switching the SIM made the update visible (as if it was there all along in the background) but I cannot get beyond the January update? Anything official from Nokia regarding this?
  • tzsm98 tzsm98
    ✭✭  / 
    The Pie update ruined my phone's mobile data. A new SIM, complete reset, trip to carrier store, new carrier settings - nothing fixed it. I'm wifi only now for data. I'd have stuck with Oreo had I known Pie was going to be so damaging to the user experience. T-Mobile US.
  • DsL DsL
    ✭✭  / 
    @rich
    EE (UK at least) doesn officially sell the Sirocco, it's not listed on their website, I don't know if that is the cause of the delay in getting the update.

I used a Vodafone PAYG SIM to update to Android 9, and was able to install the February 1st Security patch.
  • DsL DsL
    ✭✭  / 
    Can someone please post when the March security patch becomes available, I'll probably have to switch SIM cards to download it.

Thanks In advance
  • I still don't have the Pie update. I'm with EE? 
  • All we can do is complain to our network provider. I am not getting any response from BT Mobile, which is presumably because it is handled by EE who run the network (and are owned by BT).
  • Sportsterphil Sportsterphil
    ✭✭  / 
    I'm on bt and it is now April and my phone has not had any updates since December. What is going on Nokia?
  • Sportsterphil Sportsterphil
    ✭✭  / 
    My wife is with virgin and her Nokia 6.1 updated age's ago.