Gcam Night Sight on Nokia 8

Now the devs that post on XDA have night sight working we might not give a monkeys about any new Nokia camera app.

Gcam Night Sight on Nokia 8

MrBelter MrBelter
✭✭✭✭  / 
Now the devs that post on XDA have night sight working we might not give a monkeys about any new Nokia camera app.

This is a pretty extreme example but it certainly seems to work

Comments

• LennartB LennartB
     /  edited December 2018
    mrbelter said:

This is a pretty extreme example but it certainly seems to work

That's pretty impressive. I've messed around with Arnova's Pixel 3 ports but they crashed, or i couldn't take pictures and the viewfinder was very laggy.
    MGC_6.1.021_MI8_V1b works great from https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Yes. I tried the latest port and works like a charm in night mode.
    It crashed during normal photo shoot, but switching to "motion off" solved the problem.
    I can PM anyone who requires APKMirror link.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    For those that don't know where to look :)

• marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited December 2018
    Aren't you guys afraid that those app ports may contain data/crypto mining scripts or other inconveniences/malware?
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Aren't you guys afraid that those app ports may contain data/crypto mining scripts or other inconveniences/malware?
    That's a risk.
    But crypto mining is easy to detect by observing application activities.
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    mrbelter said:

I suggest apkmirror instead as they have malware check.
  • marsic marsic
    I see there are also camera apps from HMD, including versions 90.**** and 91.****

• naufrago naufrago
    I see there are also camera apps from HMD, including versions 90.**** and 91.****

I tried them and they keep crashing. Those were accidently rolled out for Nokia 8 previously and pulled back immediately.
  • marsic marsic
    Installed the night sight version, works pretty well but i can't find the option to disable auto-video, the view finder is very slow
  • naufrago naufrago
    Installed the night sight version, works pretty well but i can't find the option to disable auto-video, the view finder is very slow
    Viewfinder is very slow on night sight due to nature of process I guess.
    You auto-video (motion) is the second circle on top of screen.

PS. Checked again, you're right, viewfinder feels sluggish. Maybe improved by changing some settings, will check.
  • Dheeraj Dheeraj
    ✭✭✭  / 
    mrbelter said:

Which one did you download?
  • marsic marsic
    @Dheeraj ask @naufrago for a link in private message

Later edit: I've just had my phone reboot itself again, I don't think it was the Twitter app, but this gets me worried. Factory reset it is then
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    FYI, just noticed a tiny network traffic (6,25 kb in background). God knows for what :lol:
    Turned off background data.
  • marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Perhaps you tried the Google lens feature and it tried to communicate with their servers to determine what it was looking at?
  • marsic marsic
    Hah, unbelievable. Is Sarvikas programming it by himself, with what knowledge he can recall from high school?

LE: forget about my flash question, I didn't read the entire post before
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    To cut a long story short;
    Lens is OK, but "the" camera app, is living a dog's life.
  • marsic marsic
    From my understanding the lens feature is nothing but a shortcut to Google's lens app, it has nothing to do with HMD's camera app.

@naufrago did you manage to solve the issue with the sluggish viewfinder?
  • petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi, I also add a comparison (model TA-1004).
    HMD camera (twilight)

GCAM (twilight)

HMD Camera (dark)

GCAM (dark)

• naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @petrus
    Literally, "plain as day"!
  • marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Does the actual "Camera" mode work for you, on the GCam port? It doesn't for me.
  • naufrago naufrago
    Does the actual "Camera" mode work for you, on the GCam port? It doesn't for me.
    It's buggy. Mostly works, but sometimes just doesn't response.
  • marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Mine doesn't react at all, doesn't take the picture. Also it crashed a few times. This is why I don't accept relying on such questionable ports and instead rage at HMD for a proper native implementation.
  • marsic marsic
    It's okay, it was just an observation really. The night-sight mode for pics in low light is sufficient for now, although I'd like to fully rely on the native hmd app (if only it will be worthy of the honor, may the gods of programming bless the hmd amateurs with some skills)
  • Audioboxer Audioboxer
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Hey guys try this one https://f.celsoazevedo.com/file/gcamera/MGC_6.1.021_Potter_v5-san1ty.apk

Works perfect on my Sirocco and there is no lag with the viewfinder. 
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @marcel sichitiu,
    You can give a try to the one @Audioboxer suggests. It is smoother than Arnova8g2 port that we tried before.
  • marsic marsic
    @naufrago any suspect background activity? Either network or processor spikes?

LE: installed and tried it for a bit:
    - the default "camera" mode works, but is set to a pretty long exposure (is that what is called?), L takes at least a second to capture.
    - the night-sight mode has a much shorter exposure time, I couldn't test it in a very dark environment but doesn't seem as effective as the Arnova version.
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @naufrago any suspect background activity? Either network or processor spikes?

LE: installed and tried it for a bit:
    - the default "camera" mode works, but is set to a pretty long exposure (is that what is called?), L takes at least a second to capture.
    - the night-sight mode has a much shorter exposure time, I couldn't test it in a very dark environment but doesn't seem as effective as the Arnova version.
    Not that I'm aware of.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I have just had a go myself and the difference is startling, for still subjects it is quite the business.
  • Jivko Antonov Jivko Antonov
    ✭✭✭  / 
    marsic said:

Nokia Camera 91.9.1133.80

This is the version from Nokia 7.1.
    I downloaded it from the link above and it works. Tonight I will test it.