Where Is December Security Update On My Nokia 7 Plus?....😠😠😠😭😭😭

Tagged:

Answers

• I am very angry that you have given the November update in the month of December. So where is the updates of December now?..
  • wyk wyk
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Mid of January 😴
  • manna manna
    ✭✭  / 
    I think Last week of December
  • Retty Retty
     / 
    You are lucky I am still on August and 8.1
  • Same here, still August sp
  • I switched to a different carrier ans and I got all the updates including pie and nov sp immediately.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭  / 
    December will be one of the slowest months. Because it is the holiday season in most parts of the globe. So, forgive them in December if they get it slightly late.
    I'm still hoping that it will be on time :smile:
  • diogenes diogenes
    ✭✭  / 
    I still don't understand what the carrier has to do with that, when you get the updates OTA over your WiFi? Maybe someone can explain to me...
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭  / 
    diogenes said:
    I still don't understand what the carrier has to do with that, when you get the updates OTA over your WiFi? Maybe someone can explain to me...
    Just that carriers want to test each update and want to ensure themselves that their services are working flawlessly and exactly how they want. And that's how carriers delay it. In several countries (especially where there's a trend of carrier locked devices; or sold by carrier on a contract), the OEM needs to submit the updates with the carrier for an approval. The end users will only receive it after the carrier is satisfied.
  • diogenes diogenes
    ✭✭  / 
    What dou you mean by "carrier"? Do you mean the internet provider? Or the provider of the SIM card? They can be different anyway. Still making no sense to me, what should help then to change the SIM card?
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭  / 
    diogenes said:
    What dou you mean by "carrier"? Do you mean the internet provider? Or the provider of the SIM card? They can be different anyway. Still making no sense to me, what should help then to change the SIM card?

The carrier here refers to the SIM card provider which will also be the provider of mobile internet service. So, in most developed countries, cell phones are sold by carriers (operators) on contract. That means, you buy into their service for a long term.
    For example, in the US, Verizon will offer you an iPhone XR for $31.24 per month for 24 months. So, now you're locked into Verizon. You do not pay the full cost of the phone, but get it on something like monthly installments. The monthly fees also includes calling, texting and data allowances. The phone is carrier locked and you are not allowed to use a SIM card from any other carrier in it.

So, that's how it is. It is a carrier branded device and the carrier reserves the right to decide what runs on the device. They get the authority to test and approve which updates are sent to the device. They are usually concerned that the device works fine, but that's just a public side. They are more concerned that there are no loops wherein the user can misuse their services and also ensure that they make the user pay as much as possible.

The above is a typical example. The carriers do often interfere in carrier unlocked and prepaid phones too. But the degree is lesser. Hence, to ensure a good presence, every OEM tries to keep the carriers happy. If a carrier is happy, it will recommend your phone in the stores and also their websites.
  • diogenes diogenes
    ✭✭  / 
    So you say, that the carriers can control your WiFi data? Because it is always recommended to use WiFi to do updates, not mobile data. Still don't get it. Can those carriers block the OTA updates coming over WiFi??? Even if WiFi is from a different internet provider?
  • diogenes diogenes
    ✭✭  / 
    BTW, talking about SIMlock free phones...
  • singhnsk said: 
    diogenes said:

The carrier here refers to the SIM card provider which will also be the provider of mobile internet service. So, in most developed countries, cell phones are sold by carriers (operators) on contract. That means, you buy into their service for a long term.
    For example, in the US, Verizon will offer you an iPhone XR for $31.24 per month for 24 months. So, now you're locked into Verizon. You do not pay the full cost of the phone, but get it on something like monthly installments. The monthly fees also includes calling, texting and data allowances. The phone is carrier locked and you are not allowed to use a SIM card from any other carrier in it.

So, that's how it is. It is a carrier branded device and the carrier reserves the right to decide what runs on the device. They get the authority to test and approve which updates are sent to the device. They are usually concerned that the device works fine, but that's just a public side. They are more concerned that there are no loops wherein the user can misuse their services and also ensure that they make the user pay as much as possible.

The above is a typical example. The carriers do often interfere in carrier unlocked and prepaid phones too. But the degree is lesser. Hence, to ensure a good presence, every OEM tries to keep the carriers happy. If a carrier is happy, it will recommend your phone in the stores and also their websites.
    Ah I see your point and would understand for a carrier branded phone. However I know mine (and a few others from UK asking on here) is a SIM free purchase so in that case not locked to any carrier. 

This means I could use any network (carrier) and have tried a few yet the no update comes through. In fact trying the device with no SIM card and just wi-fi still doesn't get the update in the UK!!
  • diogenes diogenes
    ✭✭  / 
    That's what I didn't understand. Makes it a bit clearer now. Let's just hope, that Nokia gets back on schedule again. At least with Security Udates. I expected so much from Android ONE. 7+ has it all. Projet Treble, A/B partition, therefore seamless updates. So, they should come quick. Google gets their Security updates out latest on the 5th of month. And a fix for Pie would also be appriciated by me ;-)