Very confusing strategy from HMD

I just can't understand HMD's plan.

Very confusing strategy from HMD

I just can't understand HMD's plan. If the Nokia 8.1 is the replacement for Nokia 7 then why is it still on sale? 
If you look at the UK page here https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_gb/android-phones there are 14 android phones for sale. 
Probably some people here know the difference between Nokia 8 and 8.1 or 7plus and 7.1 but I bet most of the people have no idea about the differences between these phones. Why not discontinue the old models when new models come out? Nokia 6 and 6.1 are both on sale and no true flagship form the company this year. Nokia 8 and 8 sirocco have SD835, if I am not mistaken. Also, no love for the US market.

Comments

• wyk wyk
    **  / 
    The naming is total confusion ... Even Nokia is confused... 😆.If Nokia 8.1 is successor of 7+ then why 6.1 is successor of 6 not 5..  & then 5.1 plus & 6.1 plus... Then 7, 7 plus, 7.1 now 8.1.... Uhhh arghhhh 😤 total confusion 😆😂
  • Maybe this picture can help you.

PS: This is my personal opinion and does not represent the official.

• madbilly madbilly
    **  /  edited April 11
    Hi @Anz, you should look at the GB page now, it's even more confusing! The 6 is more expensive than the 6.1, the 7.1 and the 7+ cost the same, the 9PV is way cheaper than the Sirocco - they've all gone crazy! :D

Hi @Laze Sun, I like that diagram! Can you update it to include the latest phones? I don't agree with it (e.g. 3.1+ is clearly not a successor in any way to the 6.1 + or 5.1+ (or 7+!), nor the 2.1 really (although it is an upgrade).

• singhnsk singhnsk
    **  / 
    @madbilly You can spend an entire day concluding which one is a successor of which one and you'll finally give up and go to sleep 😂
    HMD wants to sell online-exclusive too, sell online and offline too and sell offline too. All of these markets have different demands and selling points. While others are doing it via different series (Galaxy A, On, S bla bla) or different brands (OPPO/Vivo/Realme/OnePlus; Mi/Redmi/Poco), HMD is trying to achieve all of it from the same common series of their phones. And that is a confusing area. I want a series now. Maybe C-series - community phones which will come with unlocked bootloaders and freedom to do anything; X-series - sell direct and online with great price and performance ratio; then maybe the standard series to sell offline and via channels with multiple levels, requiring more significant margins. 

• madbilly madbilly
    **  /  edited April 12
    Hi @singhnsk, yes I think you've identified the key problem here. HMD are trying to use a common naming scheme for multiple different market approaches. But, they probably don't want to dilute their brand by making sub-series. I think you've made a good suggestion though, bringing back the lettered series C, E, N, X and using it in a different way. It could work.
    Cheers :)
  • Laze Sun Laze Sun
    **  / 
    madbilly said:
    Hi @Anz, you should look at the GB page now, it's even more confusing! The 6 is more expensive than the 6.1, the 7.1 and the 7+ cost the same, the 9PV is way cheaper than the Sirocco - they've all gone crazy! :D

Hi @Laze Sun, I like that diagram! Can you update it to include the latest phones? I don't agree with it (e.g. 3.1+ is clearly not a successor in any way to the 6.1 + or 5.1+ (or 7+!), nor the 2.1 really (although it is an upgrade).

emm……这个问题是 2018 年 12 月回答的,所以那时 hmd 还没有发布新机。
    当然,在今年 MWC 后我也更新了我的这张表,但是我希望能够等到今年 hmd 的新品全部发完再发布。
    3.1+ 这么设定主要是因为屏幕类似 7+ 使用了 18:9 ;继承了 X 系列的相机配置而在定位上更类似于 Nokia 2 系列注重长续航。

Emm... This question was answered in December 2018, so at that time hmd had not released a new stuff.
    Of course, I updated my diagram after this year's MWC, but I hope to wait until this year's hmd new products are all released.
    3.1+ This setting is mainly because the screen is similar to 7+; inheriting the X series camera configuration and positioning is more similar to the Nokia 2 series focusing on long battery life.