Can I load Global / India ROM on Nokia X7 of China? (my office colleague is re-selling one)

My office colleague sourced Nokia X7 from China and has China ROM on the phone. For some reason, he is looking to sell the phone.

Can I load Global / India ROM on Nokia X7 of China? (my office colleague is re-selling one)

My office colleague sourced Nokia X7 from China and has China ROM on the phone. For some reason, he is looking to sell the phone. Can I load Official Global ROM on it? How? What can be disadvantages? Warranty?

Answers

• wilson shrestha wilson shrestha
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    My office colleague sourced Nokia X7 from China and has China ROM on the phone. For some reason, he is looking to sell the phone. Can I load Official Global ROM on it? How? What can be disadvantages? Warranty?
    I believe if you are somehow able to do this then you will completely break the update cycle in your phone and you won't be receiving the security patches and OS upgrades on your flashed Global ROM. You could look up in the xda forum section of this phone and you might be able to find the process to do exactly what you're referring to in the near future since it is not there at the moment. You should be able to find all your answers there. But, since Nokia 8.1 the global variant of the phone is just about to be available in the market I think you should wait sometime for making this happen or you could just buy the Global Variant.
  • Laze Sun Laze Sun
    ✭✭  / 
    Hmd has not yet officially unlocked the bootloader of Nokia X7 ,  so you can't load other ROM on it (even the ROM for Nokia 8.1).
    The ROM for China market should also support Google services (you need to install it yourself).
    In addition, there are some differences between the hardware of Nokia X7 and 8.1.

• OneRun OneRun
     / 
    laze sun said:
    Hmd has not yet officially unlocked the bootloader of Nokia X7 ,  so you can't load other ROM on it (even the ROM for Nokia 8.1).
    The ROM for China market should also support Google services (you need to install it yourself).
    In addition, there are some differences between the hardware of Nokia X7 and 8.1.

I was under assumption that Nokia 8.1 is international version of X7 model. I just did a quick compare in GSMArena and found that international version has NFC which is not there in X7 model. Is there any other hardware difference I am missing between these models ?
  • OneRun OneRun
     / 
    Did you got chance to access the X7 model ? Looks like it is easy to enable Google play store easily. Is there any specific reason you like to move to Global/India ROM from Chinese ROM apart from Google play store ? 
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Nokia/comments/9w66q1/bought_a_nokia_x7_from_china/

• Laze Sun Laze Sun
    ✭✭  / 
    OneRun said:
    laze sun said:

I was under assumption that Nokia 8.1 is international version of X7 model. I just did a quick compare in GSMArena and found that international version has NFC which is not there in X7 model. Is there any other hardware difference I am missing between these models ?
    Nokia X7 has 6+64GB and 6+128GB option.
  • Laze Sun Laze Sun
    ✭✭  / 

hmd 暂时还没有国行机器的官方 bootloader 解锁,所以暂时还不能直接刷其他固件。
    国行版 rom 应该也支持谷歌服务(需要自行安装)。
    另外诺基亚 X7 和 8.1 的硬件有一定差别。
    其他问题可以问问光卡大佬 @Hikari_Calyx ,他在此方面比我熟。

• OneRun said:
    Did you got chance to access the X7 model ? Looks like it is easy to enable Google play store easily. Is there any specific reason you like to move to Global/India ROM from Chinese ROM apart from Google play store ? 
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Nokia/comments/9w66q1/bought_a_nokia_x7_from_china/

In past, with a Xiaomi device, I tried using English language over a China MIUI ROM, but was disappointed seeing Chinese language repeatedly on few interfaces. Thus I felt it would always be better to use Global ROM.
  • Can Nokia x7 working normally in Nigeria?
  • 한국에서도 사용이 어렵습니다
    Volte를 사용할수 없으니 옛날 방식으로 통화를 합니다 글로벌하게 프로그램을 하면 더 많이 폰을 팔수있는데 아쉽네요
    노키아가 중국회사라 그런지 너무 폐쇠적이네요 다시한번 실망감을 감출수없네요
  • korea kim said:
    한국에서도 사용이 어렵습니다
    Volte를 사용할수 없으니 옛날 방식으로 통화를 합니다 글로벌하게 프로그램을 하면 더 많이 폰을 팔수있는데 아쉽네요
    노키아가 중국회사라 그런지 너무 폐쇠적이네요 다시한번 실망감을 감출수없네요
    When question is in English, everyone is discussing in English, why would you respond in Korean?

HMD is said to be Korean company, but surprisingly it is very much focused on China Market, not sure why. Coming to your problem, if the LTE service is provided on network band that your Nokia smartphone supports, then you should be able to make use of it... So, I suspect you picked device before knowing that LTE service in your country is provided on different band than what that Nokia device supports. If so, then we can not blame Nokia.
  • In xiaomi devices flashing global rom so freakin easy but in Nokia devices its damn hard. 
    Try searching on XDA
    Maybe someone can help you from xda.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    It should be possible, but only via unofficial conversion. I have tested it on a few phones and at least the 64GB + 4GB can be converted fine. OTA updates work as expected, but NFC will not work because it is not included in the X7.
    But the thing is that you will have to pay for it. And you should not do that unless you desperately need the Global ROM.
  • hikari calyx hikari calyx
    ✭✭  / 
    Let me explain the difficulty of converting a Nokia X7 to Nokia 8.1.

First, bootloader unlock is still unavailable for this model.
    Second, to flash a phone with locked bootloader, you'll need to grant service permission with specific tool known as OST LA. Nokia X7 uses the strongest authentication type ever known as 0x0008. You also need an account for it.
    Third, the system image is divided into 9 different sparses with different length, which is unusual on Android Phones development.

If you can overcome these issues, the Nokia X7 can be converted to 8.1 perfectly, you just can't use NFC because Nokia X7 doesn't have NFC.