Nokia 7.1 - Review Roundup

Our Nokia 7.1 is muscling its way into the smartphone market and hoping to continue the legacy of its predecessors.

Nokia 7.1 - Review Roundup

matteo.m matteo.m
Staff member  /  edited January 10

Our Nokia 7.1 is muscling its way into the smartphone market and hoping to continue the legacy of its predecessors. The Android One promise means that fans can look forward to a bright future when it comes to Nokia 7.1 and enjoy constant updates without annoying bloatware.

If that wasn’t enough, Nokia 7.1 also boasts ZEISS optics for stunning shots, a crystal clear PureDisplay screen with a 19:9 ratio, and Dual-Sight for #Bothies. With the Nokia 7.1 officially on sale, HMD Global has helped the Nokia 7.1 stand out from the rest of the crowd, but here’s what the professionals have had to say.

Digital Trends: Close to perfect, the affordable Nokia 7.1 is everything you’ll want in a phone...It has everything you’d want in a phone: Uncluttered software, satisfactory performance, a capable camera, an affordable price tag, and a great screen with good sound.

TechRadar: With the Nokia 7.1, this rather appealing mid-range excellence is being pushed even further. But just how good can a phone at a mid-range price be? Actually rather good, the Nokia 7.1 whispers, with its attractive design, competent specs, and impressive camera.

Android Police: We've given high marks to phones like the Nokia 6.1 and 3.1—both fantastic budget devices. The 7.1 caught our attention because it's going after a long-neglected space with its $350 price tag. The Nokia 7.1 presents itself as the best of both worlds: premium features and hardware with a price that's still manageable.

9to5Google: With the software update security net of Android One on top of a solid build and quality experience, anyone looking for a great backup or an Android device for a tech-fearing loved one, the Nokia 7.1 deserves some serious attention.

Android Central: The Nokia 7.1 is the most flagship-like Nokia Android phone to hit the U.S., and while its $350 price tag may lead you into believing its a throwaway mid-ranger, I'm pleased to say that it's anything but.

Tom’s Guide: HMD Global has packed a darling of a display in this phone, gifted it with class-leading performance that can keep pace with that of devices that were considered cutting edge just a year and a half ago, and thoughtfully partnered with Google to give users the best software experience possible. What's more, the company wrapped all of that in a design that obscures that this phone costs well less than half of what you'd pay for most flagships today.

While that those in the know have already passed judgement on the Nokia 7.1, we want to hear what you think. Tell us about your experience in the comments below.

Tagged:

Comments

• kennethk kennethk
    ✭✭  / 
    I am happy with my purchase of the 7.1 so far. Some Pros and cons after 3 weeks of use:
    + Fast and snappy
    + Beautiful
    + Perfect size for my hands
    + Standard Android without bloatware

I have not used the camera that much yet, but I think I will be happy with it (especially if some of the Google Camera software features, like night mode, can be added). 

- The user manual is incomplete
    - Glass backside makes the phone extremely slippery, so one has to add a skin/case to it. As the phone does not support wireless charging it might as well have a metal or plastic backside.
    - When I was in Tenerife last week, the phone changed its timezone back and forwards randomly which was very confusing. But ok this might be due to wrong setups among the base stations.
    - No FM radio
    - I find it hard to balance the volume for alarms, media playback, ring volume and notifications according to my needs. But this might be due to Andriod Pie....
    /Kenneth
  • When the power is getting low,the speaker distorts,is this a common issue with the phone? Other than that,I love the phone
  • Cool
  • Неужели невозможно сделать поддержку exFAT для большой SD-карты? У меня 128 Гб SDXC с FAT32
  • Неужели невозможно сделать поддержку exFAT для большой SD-карты? У меня 128 Гб SDXC с FAT32. Стыдно! Для флагмана от Nokia!

• Is it really impossible to make exFAT support for a large SD card? I have 128 GB SDXC with FAT32. Shame on you For Nokia's flagship!
  • utpal07 utpal07
    ✭✭  / 
    I 🥰 Nokia 7.1 ❤️ The most premium and luxurious mobile in this price range don't listen to others guys just  go & buy this phone tomorrow.. because Nokia 7.1 has something magical feature display you will see 
    Difference When I  play a normal 480p video on my Samsung galaxy A8 Plus and Nokia 7.1 together , 
    I feel that my Nokia 7.1   Display better than other and super AMOLED  CLEAR WINNER all new  Puredisplay from  Nokia
    Actually N7.1 as HDR10 support quality & the best part is real time SDR 2 HDR Conversions.. Playing PUBG on N7.1 with  HDR awesome details.
    Tnx to Puredisplay my future ready phone.
    love the design of Nokia 7.1 return from the Nokia legacy premium looks & luxirious style on affordable price.
     Captured dual sight mode picture with Zeiss lens.
    And when its comes to durability my phone has aluminium 6000 series frame dual  sided Gorilla glass and beautiful notch.
    Another special things from Google software Android One platform best of all Android . 2years os update 3years security updates
    Currently
    My phone runs on Android Pie (9.0) 
    And I know my phone will definitely update will Android 10  .. 
    The display and the design with Zeiss optics Android one gives you the best out experience.

• wyk wyk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @matteo.m please update the built-in wallpaper segment of all Nokia phones with these new wallpapers with every new wallpapers released by Nokia. Or at least provide cloud link. 

Please 🙏... 
  • tpamparo tpamparo
    ✭✭  / 
    This device actually portrays both superiority on beauty and power. Hands down HMD for producing ever significant devices from time to time.

#UniteFor dominance.
  • Lose the notch.
    Or you will lose future customers.
    Peace
  • Joy Ghosh Joy Ghosh
    ✭✭  / 
    Nokia 7.1 product is awesome bcz thats devise looking and camera features is awesome like DSLR.

• TWARIT TWARIT
     / 
    Good news
  • matteo.m matteo.m
    Staff member  / 
    wyk said:
    @matteo.m please update the built-in wallpaper segment of all Nokia phones with these new wallpapers with every new wallpapers released by Nokia. Or at least provide cloud link. 

Please 🙏... 
    Great idea! Will do a thread on it
  • The phone is fine, but it is a serious mistake to have manipulated Android to not allow the use of micro SD card to install apps. It is difficult to understand a decision like that.
  • Can I exchange my 6.1 to 7.1
  • neng neng
    ✭✭  / 
    I think Nokia 7.1 has all you need for a basic day to day use and with a 350 dollar price tag, this should become a big hit specially in the US. Because nowadays people spend most of the time with smartphones and with an HDR10 capable screen the viewing experience should be greatly enhanced.
  • saddam1990 saddam1990
    ✭✭  / 
    I m using the phone from last one week everthieve looks good but i find heating problem while heavy use and also at the time of charging...
  • saddam1990 saddam1990
    ✭✭  / 
    i never expected such kind of issue will arise in Noika phone's...really disappointed
  • Igentl Igentl
     / 
    The phone is fine, but it is a serious mistake to have manipulated Android to not allow the use of micro SD card to install apps. It is difficult to understand a decision like that.
    thank you for answering my question, if I had known this when purchasing this phone I would not have bought it. 32 GB is not a lot these days, I shall not be giving this phone a good review because of this problem
  • The phone is good, but very disappointment for those who rely on mobile data for all the works. What it mainly lacking is that no 'Tethering & portable hotspot' feature i.e, I cannot transfer internet data from my phone to laptop without using a USB cable (WLAN hotspot is not available). Also missed call notification not showing as a display unless I unlock the phone. These were the most important and must needed features for me which is not there in this phone :s
  • matteo.m said:

Our Nokia 7.1 is muscling its way into the smartphone market and hoping to continue the legacy of its predecessors. The Android One promise means that fans can look forward to a bright future when it comes to Nokia 7.1 and enjoy constant updates without annoying bloatware.

If that wasn’t enough, Nokia 7.1 also boasts ZEISS optics for stunning shots, a crystal clear PureDisplay screen with a 19:9 ratio, and Dual-Sight for #Bothies. With the Nokia 7.1 officially on sale, HMD Global has helped the Nokia 7.1 stand out from the rest of the crowd, but here’s what the professionals have had to say.

Digital Trends: Close to perfect, the affordable Nokia 7.1 is everything you’ll want in a phone...It has everything you’d want in a phone: Uncluttered software, satisfactory performance, a capable camera, an affordable price tag, and a great screen with good sound.

TechRadar: With the Nokia 7.1, this rather appealing mid-range excellence is being pushed even further. But just how good can a phone at a mid-range price be? Actually rather good, the Nokia 7.1 whispers, with its attractive design, competent specs, and impressive camera.

Android Police: We've given high marks to phones like the Nokia 6.1 and 3.1—both fantastic budget devices. The 7.1 caught our attention because it's going after a long-neglected space with its $350 price tag. The Nokia 7.1 presents itself as the best of both worlds: premium features and hardware with a price that's still manageable.

9to5Google: With the software update security net of Android One on top of a solid build and quality experience, anyone looking for a great backup or an Android device for a tech-fearing loved one, the Nokia 7.1 deserves some serious attention.

Android Central: The Nokia 7.1 is the most flagship-like Nokia Android phone to hit the U.S., and while its $350 price tag may lead you into believing its a throwaway mid-ranger, I'm pleased to say that it's anything but.

Tom’s Guide: HMD Global has packed a darling of a display in this phone, gifted it with class-leading performance that can keep pace with that of devices that were considered cutting edge just a year and a half ago, and thoughtfully partnered with Google to give users the best software experience possible. What's more, the company wrapped all of that in a design that obscures that this phone costs well less than half of what you'd pay for most flagships today.

While that those in the know have already passed judgement on the Nokia 7.1, we want to hear what you think. Tell us about your experience in the comments below.