Lens oscillation

In recent months it is becoming far more common for the camera lens OIS mechanism to buzz when I start up the camera.

Lens oscillation

mark coley mark coley
✭✭  / 
In recent months it is becoming far more common for the camera lens OIS mechanism to buzz when I start up the camera. The resulting image is distorted with blurring all over. An audible buzz can be heard if you put your ear to the lens. I have since noticed if you shake the phone gently with the camera off you can hear the lens rattle about, but if the camera is on (with OIS functioning) there is no rattle. I'm just wondering if something has broken inside and this is why I can hear the rattle and this is why occasionally the lens buzzes when power is supplied.

Can anyone with a functioning phone shake it gently to see if a rattle is heard, and if it ceases if the camera is turned on before shaking?

Comments

• marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Mine doesn't rattle at all (yet). I've shaken it while locked, if it matters.
  • mark coley mark coley
    ✭✭  / 
    Thanks. I suspect something is broken. If I press the camera icon whilst my ear is to the phone I hear a click as the OIS powers up. Occasionally I get the click and a buzz (and the blurred images). If buzzing then simply waiting or gently rotating the phone through 180 degree sweeps seems to fix it. I think I'll have to return it.
  • Dheeraj Dheeraj
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Do you use gcam? If yes, does it happen when gcam opened as well?
  • mark coley mark coley
    ✭✭  / 
    It happens with that too randomly. I've also noticed it can happen more if I start the Nokia camera with a double press of the power button. I'm not sure if the vibration buzz makes it fail more often. Tapping the back of the phone sometimes stops it buzzing too. I suspect a feedback gain is too strong and it's hunting. If there was a dampening device that has broken it might explain the rattle I can hear.