nokia 8 fingerprint sensor issue-help!!!!!!!!!!!!

many times fingerprint sensor reads unable to read and process the fingerprint. don't know what to do..!!! please help

nokia 8 fingerprint sensor issue-help!!!!!!!!!!!!

many times fingerprint sensor reads unable to read and process the fingerprint. don't know what to do..!!!
please help

Comments

• petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi, try to clear your fingerprints and set them again. If it does not work, then restore the phone to factory settings. If this does not work, the phone must be taken to a service center.
  • sualfons sualfons
    ✭✭  / 
    Generally, the Nokia 8's fingerprint sensor gives a lot more fails than the ones I have had in other phones before (iPhone 5s and Honor 9 were fast and reliable in that matter). I also got a Samsung A5 (2017) for a work phone recently - it is about the same level of "you don't get in here" as the Nokia 8. All of those are way better than the pathetic "strike over" sensors that were built into the likes of Samsung S5 (and S5 mini) phones....
  • petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    The fingerprint sensor works perfectly for me. The problem only occurs when I have a wet finger.
  • petrus said:
    Hi, try to clear your fingerprints and set them again. If it does not work, then restore the phone to factory settings. If this does not work, the phone must be taken to a service center.
    I agree with this. At some point the fingerprint sensor started working poorly for me, but removing and setting the fingerprints again resolved whatever was the matter, so that's worth trying.
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    many times fingerprint sensor reads unable to read and process the fingerprint. don't know what to do..!!!
    please help
    If i double tap the screen to wake the phone and then use the fingerprint sensor to actually unlock it, it is quick and accurate although it is still terrible when compared to say the Nokia 7 Plus which is lightning quick and nails it 99% of the time.

When it comes to waking the phone and then unlocking it then the fingerprint scanner (on mine at any rate) is absolutely crap and no amount of cleaning or re-adding fingerprints has improved it, i regularly end up with the too many attempts prompt.
  • Dheeraj Dheeraj
     /  edited December 2018
    sualfons said:
    Generally, the Nokia 8's fingerprint sensor gives a lot more fails than the ones I have had in other phones before (iPhone 5s and Honor 9 were fast and reliable in that matter). I also got a Samsung A5 (2017) for a work phone recently - it is about the same level of "you don't get in here" as the Nokia 8. All of those are way better than the pathetic "strike over" sensors that were built into the likes of Samsung S5 (and S5 mini) phones....
    Mine works like charm. Its very fast and accurate 99% of the time. You may have not set the fingerprint properly or there might be something wrong with your sensor.
  • Hey

I'd happily heap praise on just how fine, superb and awesome the Nokia 8 is, however the camera and the finger print sensor let an almost perfect handset down. 

I find the sensor to be very unreliable and my personal feeling is that the sensor is to small and shapes too slim for it to consistently grab a good scan of your finger. 

It's a bit like **** Pathenr - 60% of the time it works everytime!
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Not exactly scientific this but out of 10 attempts to unlock the phone from a locked state and not just a sleeping one it managed it 7 times so that's 70%, albeit from a very small sample size. (I have my thumbs scanned twice by the way to try to double up on accuracy.)

Annoyingly i nearly always manage to unlock it getting it out of my pocket when i don't want to unlock it :lol:
  • LennartB LennartB
     /  edited December 2018
    Mine almost always succeeds in reading my finger print, except when my fingers are wet (logically) or i don't put my finger on it correctly. Unlock is pretty fast, i just have to touch it very briefly and it instantly unlocks the phone.
    With Android 7 to 8 i sometimes had this weird issue that upon unlocking the phone it would enable split-screen, but since 8.1 (or some patch after 8.1 was rolled out, can't recall) this has been fixed. So i can say for me it has been working as it should.
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    It seems some have it good and some have it bad, even some reviewers struggled with it.

There is, however, one major issue with the design which made the general use of the Nokia 8 tricky. The fingerprint scanner is one of the least useful I've found on flagship phones. The front placing is better than on most rear-mounted devices, but the scanner is frankly too small and often failed to respond to my touch. Compared to other Android flagships it felt slow, which is a let down given that many other fingerprint readers are now lightning fast.
  • Yeah i get that, i have relatively small fingers so i'm lucky in that regard i suppose.
    I do have to say unlocking my old Nexus 5x with the large rear-mounted scanner provided a much better experience, the Nokia 8 can be "finicky".
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Mine seems to work better if i plant my print on it rather than just giving it a light tap like you do on other phones.
  • i own a noki 8. i have issues in fingerprint recognition... after several attempts i setup the fingerprint lock. but even afterthat i couldnt unlock my device using fingerprint as it is not recognized. 
  • usercub usercub
     /  edited December 2018
    I agree with all the advices over here :). I found that a ferm press helps. Also, try to align your finger with it(perpendicular), a little bit annoying initially but the muscle memory takes care of that rather fast. 
    As for all the other issues, look, it was a cheap phone. They do have a rather disappointing camera app, but, overall i am happy with it.
    Ps: if you still have issues with it, consider a visit to repair shop.
    Ps2: wet fingers are the death of the finger print reader :)
    Ps3: face recognition (or "trusted face") is available in the pie beta .Maybe it will be in the final release.
    Ps4: maybe, just maybe, some other apps are interfiering. If you do a factory reset, then try the finger print unlock before you install all your ussual apps. Maybe, who knows, i don't
  • Auspex Auspex
     / 
    This all looks totally useless. The n8 had at least as good a fingerprint sensor as my old Nexus 5x, on Android 8. On pie it loses the fingerprints--partially! It knows enough about them to not let you re-add the same finger, but not enough to let you delete it! And "reset to factory defaults" is NEVER a valid answer! I have too much information on this phone to want to go there
  • My Nokia 8 finger print lock is getting cleared automatically... Anybody facing same issue. anybody knows why this happens
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    My Nokia 8 finger print lock is getting cleared automatically... Anybody facing same issue. anybody knows why this happens
    When the battery gets too low. Fixed if you are lucky enough to get the February patch apparently.
  • Hugh Matthews Hugh Matthews
    ✭✭✭  / 
    mrbelter said:
    My Nokia 8 finger print lock is getting cleared automatically... Anybody facing same issue. anybody knows why this happens
    When the battery gets too low. Fixed if you are lucky enough to get the February patch apparently.
    Unfortunately not. I have the February. patch and my fingerprints did a bunk at 7 per cent battery, and my personal ringtone took a holiday, too...
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    mrbelter said:
    Unfortunately not. I have the February. patch and my fingerprints did a bunk at 7 per cent battery, and my personal ringtone took a holiday, too...
    Well that's just gashburger.
  • Hugh Matthews Hugh Matthews
    ✭✭✭  / 
    These things are sent to test us...
  • Jivko Antonov Jivko Antonov
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I don't agree. I tested my phone 3 times to 0% and didn't lost any fingerprints.
  • wild50 wild50
    ✭✭  / 
    I don't agree. I tested my phone 3 times to 0% and didn't lost any fingerprints.
    Do You have android 9 ?
    ✭✭✭  / 
    wild50 said:
    Do You have android 9 ?
    Yes, with February security patch.
  • user1533312530859 user1533312530859
     /  edited March 24
    my phone had the same problem and they fixed it by replacing the motherboard do you hear static when connecting earphones?
    ✭✭✭  /  edited March 25
    After some tests again I can confirm that the problem still exists. But... If your phone turns off, don't start it immediately, but let it starts by itself after reaching 20% and fingerprints will be there. If you start immediately they will be lost.
    So, after February security patch the problem is still here, but there is a workaround.
  • martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I have the February. patch and my fingerprints did a bunk at 7 per cent battery, and my personal ringtone took a holiday, too...
    Same happened to me today ...
  • potemkin potemkin
    ✭✭✭  / 
    martin.fd said:
    I have the February. patch and my fingerprints did a bunk at 7 per cent battery, and my personal ringtone took a holiday, too...
    Same happened to me today ...
    It seems that every new Pie build brings new bugs while old ones remain unfixed.