Stuck on download mode after security update - Page 4

Thanks everyone for the instructions here! I had the same issue on my Nokia 7.1 after the latest update and the steps here helped a ton!

Stuck on download mode after security update

Comments

• c del c del
    ✭✭  /  edited August 17
    Thanks everyone for the instructions here! I had the same issue on my Nokia 7.1 after the latest update and the steps here helped a ton! I have a lot of Android command line experience, and in the end I was able to wipe my device and get it back up and running.

One of the issues I had was that fastboot wasn't even seeing the device and I spent a ton of time trying to figure out why. Eventually I confirmed that the device wasn't even detected by the OS (*I was using a Mac*) by running this in a Terminal window:
    ioreg -p IOUSB -w0 | sed 's/[^o]*o //; s/@.*$//' | grep -v '^Root.*'

Once I realized that, I restarted the phone with Volume Up & Power key(s) for 10-12 seconds (as per: https://old.reddit.com/r/Nokia/comments/a5i0au/androidone_download_mode_stuck/) and then the device finally appeared to the OS as "Android" when running the command above. Of course, it was still stuck in "Download Mode" as always.

From here, in Terminal I just ran:
    fastboot --set-active
    fastboot reboot

Once it rebooted, on the phone's screen I was prompted with "Android Recovery" and was told "Can't load Android system. Your data may be corrupt...etc.". I used the Volume and Power buttons on the device to select "Factory data reset" and confirm "Yes". The device then restored and eventually booted up to the initial set up screen.

It seems like this is a far too common occurrence with this and other Nokia phones, and since the phone is only a week old, I am leery of keeping it. I guess I will give it one more run through the update cycle and see if it happens again...Nokia, please fix this!
  • cisco5 cisco5
     / 
    the solution is easy go to this page, pay 8USD and wham after an hour of work, all done remotely., your phone is as good as new.

https://shop.techmesto.com/product/stock-rom-flashing-service-for-nokia-phones-fix-software-issues/
  • c del c del
    ✭✭  / 
    > @cisco5 said:
    > the solution is easy go to this page, pay 8USD and wham after an hour of work, all done remotely., your phone is as good as new.
    >
    > https://shop.techmesto.com/product/stock-rom-flashing-service-for-nokia-phones-fix-software-issues/

This smells a bit too much like an ad. There are plenty of relatively easy ways to fix this for FREE as well, with some simple tools that are readily available.

However, the point is that NONE of this should be necessary to this extent, because updates (especially security updates!) should not be this buggy.
  • mpf mpf
    ✭✭  / 
    I just came to this thread to add a "+1" of affected users. In my case it was a Nokia 7.1.
    Dead as a brick. Tried all described workarounds. Can't even turn the damn thing off.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    mpf said:
    I just came to this thread to add a "+1" of affected users. In my case it was a Nokia 7.1.
    Dead as a brick. Tried all described workarounds. Can't even turn the damn thing off.
    Hi, if you have a lot of battery, it is better to turn it off by sending:
    fastboot oem HALT
    (note the caps) and then removing the USB Cable.
    You might need to send it to Nokia or buy a flashing service, both of which will need at least 20% of available battery capacity. So, good if you charge it and do the halt command to retain the charge.
  • Nifikus Nifikus
     / 
    26/09 07:00 +1 "Download mode" nokia 7.1 from Russia, YANAO, Salehard.
  • schnibolt schnibolt
    ✭✭  / 
    Speaking that Nokia don't explain a fix for this problem. The international is full of people searching for answers and other non Nokia staff spending time trying to help.

In the early 2000s I stopped buying Nokia phones. I have given them another chance but unless the company makes information on a resolution visible and free on the internet, why should people bother with this company again?
  • My nokia 6.1 got into download mode after September month security update. ADB didn't help. Now its useless. Warranty over by just 10 days before. I never recommend anyone to buy Nokia hereafter. Could not exchange as it is not working. Poor Nokia. 
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

My mum just rung me up and her 7 Plus is dead with this problem so i have told her to take it back to EE, hopefully they can sort it out for her.

• Hey guys,

I saw you all may saw the link https://www.techmesto.com/possible-fix-nokia-smartphone-stuck-on-download-mode-after-ota-update/

I assume that you all have downloaded fastboot tool on your PC

If your device stuck on fastboot mode, use fastboot command as following:

1. fastboot getvar current-slot
    2. if current-slot is a, use "fastboot --set-active=b", then "fastboot reboot",
    3. if current-slot is b, use "fastboot --set-active=a", then "fastboot reboot"
    4. after 2, 3, if you still enter download mode, "keep press power key and volume up button to restart" or "keep press power key to restart" or "keep press power key and volume down button to restart"

hope this can help you all