8110 4g - is it a jio phone for everyone in india?

I bought a new Nokia 8110 4g phone today from a retailer.

8110 4g - is it a jio phone for everyone in india?

I bought a new Nokia 8110 4g phone today from a retailer. Following are the two imei numbersit has. 
I realised that it has jio apps preinstalled. Like my jio, jio tv, jio music, jio chat etc. there is no way to uninstall these apps from the phone. You website doesn’t mention this. The retailer didn’t mention it. The box and the paper work of the phone even the user manual doesnt mentionthis fact that this phone is blocked by jio. I ant use these apps as I don’t use a jio connection. 
Secondly even the App Store on the phone is not what I saw in the phone reviews online and on the website. It’s jio apps. It says that name. On the reviews and your website it shows that it has a certain amount of apps. But the phone sold to me barely has that. 

The short cut keys on the phone are also linked to my jio and jio pay app respectively.

So here are the questions:

Is this phone sold to me an original phone?

Before buying How was I supposed to know that the phone was a jio phone? 
It didn’t say anyone that it’s a jio phone. 

What do I do now? 

Comments

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    This is weird and kind of unexpected at the same time. Since the device isn't sold in collaboration with Jio, it shouldn't be having forced down Jio apps for everybody to use.

I hope somebody from Nokia India team addresses this. The 8110 is not a Jio phone and should be free of the 3rd party bloatware. At least it should be removable. You're correct that such an integration was never announced, neither by Nokia, nor by Jio.
  • Keith Keith
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Out of interest
    1 Can you download Whatsapp
    2 In the settings does it confirm it is a KaiOS powered phone. If so what version. 

Sounds like a fake phone to me. Did you buy it from a shop or online? 
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @keith It's a legit phone. @Kartik Gada confirmed via some other user too that it is actually the case. All 8110 in India come with Jio junk pre-installed and all of it doesn't work if you don't have a Jio sim card.
    Really a bad practice. Maybe since WhatsApp is a Jio exclusive app, they had to install the remaining Jio junk to get access to WhatsApp.
  • So yea. I too thought it was a fake phone at first. Which would have been easier. But it’s not. Both imei checked out. Someone on Nokia customer chat checked it for me. Plus all the specs the form factor and size of the phone check out. It says software 10.5 and in more information Kai is version 2.5. 

Also no one on Nokia support knew about this information about jio apps. They just said if they are pre installed you can’t delete them. I am attaching the device information pics. 

• abbas abbas
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I bought a new Nokia 8110 4g phone today from a retailer. Following are the two imei numbersit has. 
    I realised that it has jio apps preinstalled. Like my jio, jio tv, jio music, jio chat etc. there is no way to uninstall these apps from the phone. You website doesn’t mention this. The retailer didn’t mention it. The box and the paper work of the phone even the user manual doesnt mentionthis fact that this phone is blocked by jio. I ant use these apps as I don’t use a jio connection. 
    Secondly even the App Store on the phone is not what I saw in the phone reviews online and on the website. It’s jio apps. It says that name. On the reviews and your website it shows that it has a certain amount of apps. But the phone sold to me barely has that. 

The short cut keys on the phone are also linked to my jio and jio pay app respectively.

What do I do now? 

If it is under warranty, I'm sure the Nokia Service Centre can and should wipe out the default OS and install it with a non Jio KaiOS 2.5
  • Yes, I experienced the same issues when I bought my 8110. I contacted Nokia's help centre about this and they told me to wait till the next update. It seems like they themselves do not know about this. I too was surprised to find out that the store on the nokia was Jio Apps. I brought this phone to get out of Jio and was sent right back. 
  • Does anyone have a workaround for this? I contacted Nokia and they told me to wait for the next update whereas Kaios tech hasn't responded.
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Does anyone have a workaround for this? I contacted Nokia and they told me to wait for the next update whereas Kaios tech hasn't responded.
    Not sure, but if it is possible to flash the firmware of some other country then this app issue could be tackled. But then where to find the firmware from? @singhnsk would know better I guess.

• Rishadkp Rishadkp
     / 

What do I do now? 

I too had this problem...what will do ?
  • Rishadkp Rishadkp
     / 
    Is this camera icon was changed ?????
    It's review video has indicate that camera button is different what happened this device....I don't know... please respond this problem...
    Regards
    Rishad
  • RuchirPandey RuchirPandey
    ✭✭  / 
    This is quite a significant malpractice by Nokia to force JIO apps to non Jio users. There might be default apps installed but not letting them uninstall sound fishy and some unholy  marketing bonding between Nokia and Jio. I wrote and email to Nokia support and they replied with confusing statement quote " we provides Nokia 8110 4G with KaiOS operating system that is why you are getting JIO inbuilt application in your device"

as a matter of fact you are using The apps jio flavor of kiaos firmware rather than kiaos itself. I am going to write to ajey Mehta CEO of HMD india and let's see how it goes.

• user1519490261557 user1519490261557
    ✭✭  / 
    Yes, it's a common issue for users in India. Nokia cheated on it's users in India . Unwanted Jio apps and old software version. Mine has still 10.05 version where as other countries have V 16 now. It's a bad policy of Nokia.
  • RuchirPandey RuchirPandey
    ✭✭  / 
    Dear Community member,

This issue seems tiny given size/value of phone and Nokia but It definitely points to wrongdoing and unholy collaboration between Nokia and Jio. I have emailed and send tweets to Their CEOs @mehta_ajey @SeicheFlorian but all Nokia said that contact support, I mentioned at first place that Nokia support is saying "it is what it is", but they are making it a viscous circle by pointing me back to support. 
    Please see my chat transcript with Nokia support and they seem to act too dumb to understand it.
    http://bit.ly/2vR3s6s 

Please help me to spread the word so that we can collectively make Nokia to acknowledge their wrongdoing and live up to the morals/guidelines/rules applicable else where.  There are rules that penalize them from doing same in Europe and elsewhere but they are just taking us for ride in absence of clear rules in India.

some examples are :
    Please help me by spreading the word in twitter so that Nokia makes some conscious decision to amend the wrongdoing in India.

Please help by tweeting and Retweeting :

✭✭  / 
    Seems Nokia has launched this phone for Jio users only. So it's different from 8110 phones from other countries. IT IS WHAT IT IS ! 
    ✭✭  / 
    Why should one buy 8110 in India for RS 5000 when Jio phones are available at RS 500? Nokia betrayed it's 8110 users in India.
    ✭✭  / 
    Any further response from Nokia to address the phone update issue?
  • Kundal Tripathi
    @kundaltripathi
    ·
    8m
    @mehta_ajey

@SeicheFlorian

@NokiamobileIN

@ruchir_pandey

same issue pre installed jio apps. not mentioned about jio in http://nokia.in website from where i purchased.😟. Felt #Looted .
  • Avikk Avikk
    ✭✭  / 
    Yes, I bought it today and realized it too. Filled with jio apps. Any solution to fix it and get the v16? It's still on v10 :(