HDMI/Displayport socket

in 2010 i could connect my nokia n8 to a high-res display and together with usb or bluetooth keyboard and mouse i could use it like a desktop computer!

HDMI/Displayport socket

madbilly madbilly
Super User  /  edited September 2017

in 2010 i could connect my nokia n8 to a high-res display and together with usb or bluetooth keyboard and mouse i could use it like a desktop computer! now, android is way better than the s60 interface for symbian was in terms of desktop use (still not as powerful as windows 10 mobile or ubuntu touch though) so an hdmi or displayport socket would be great on an hmd phone, especially if hmd supported the port of libreoffice to android, that would be a real windows 10 on arm surface phone beater.

even ignoring the desktop use case it's great just to be able to connect up to a tv to show photos, videos, maps, etc.

Comments

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    Time has moved on a lot since my N8!

Instead of a separate mini or micro-HDMI port, HMD's phones could include MHL or Slimport in phones with micro-USB sockets and one of the various alternate modes in phones with USB-C sockets (DisplayPort, MHL, Thunderbolt, HDMI or VirtualLink).

Maybe these are already supported but I'm not aware of them. Please tell me if they are.

Cheers :)
  • None of the Nokia devices support MHL but,Android Q packs a dekstop mode somewhat like that of of Samsung Dex if that's what you want.
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    user1539887925135 I saw the info about that desktop mode too... but I'm not sure I think it will be any good! Android on a tablet is poor, imagine it on a desktop.... :tired_face:
  • akbrian akbrian
    ✭✭  / 

I'd just like to bump this thread and say I'd love to see MHL, or better yet, Slimport, make a comeback. While wireless casting is fine at home over your own WiFi network, it is often a real problem when away from home. Simple displaying mirroring via a USB-C to HDMI connection isn't tethering, and doesn't require any more data, or WiFi connections, than displaying the same content solely on the phone screen. These are important considerations for those that travel frequently, whether for business or pleasure, and have to deal with the carrier plan limitations and costs regarding tethering. The same problem exists when using hotel WiFi. Most hotel WiFi use gateway sites, which means they won't even work with Chromecast, even if you pay for an additional device connection. Please bring back some form of simple wired display mirroring.