4G VOLTE calling problem on EE UK

i have a nokia 6 which is on the ee network in the uk. 

4G VOLTE calling problem on EE UK

Ben Ben
 / 

i have a nokia 6 which is on the ee network in the uk. 

when on 4g mode and dialling out, the call disconnects at my end after about 15 seconds with a message "no response, timed out" however the other end still rings for about another 15 seconds, but if they answer there is just silence. the same happens on wifi calling.

when on 3g this doesn't happen and the outgoing call lasts for a very long time. 

has anyone else had this problem?

thanks

ben

Comments

• Unknown
     /  edited October 2017
    Same problem I just started another topic on this. Mine just hangs up after 6 or 7 rings.
  • Just switched my phone to 3g and now works fine. Wonder if it's a problem at we or phone?
  • Ben Ben
     /  edited October 2017
    Which mobile network are you on? I'm on EE UK
  • Unknown
     /  edited October 2017
    I am on ee as well. Can't find anything on their site about an issue at moment
  • Ben Ben
     /  edited October 2017
    I spoke to EE second level technical support last night and eventually found out it's a known problem with at least some Nokia 6. They suggested going back to the carphone warehouse and asking them to test the sim on another Nokia 6.
  • mine has been fine i think until recently. no new updates i am aware of having been installed. hope that some nokia person can contribute to this thread and tell us. 

• Ben Ben
     /  edited October 2017
    It took me a while to identify the problem as driving around and being in the office meant I wasn't on 4g all the time.

I'll go into CPW on Saturday and see if they have any info and if the fault can recreated on their handset.
  • Ben Ben
     /  edited October 2017
    The same happens on their handset so it must be a problem with all handsets.
  • I tried to chat with support the other day. I suspected it would be a waste and it was. They did not understand problem even when I sent link to thread. I am not an expert but it seems like a software thing. Something makes the phone hang up at a certain time. When I call it works fine as long as people answer in time.
  • I have exactly this problem. The phone is unusable for voice on 4G because on almost all call-outs the dialler terminates before the recipient picks up, but the ringing continues and the recipient then picks up to a dead line. If Nokia can't fix this then the phone will be going back to Carphone Warehouse soon.

• user389 user389
    ✭✭✭  / 

Maybe your mobile operator made a mistake?
    VoLTE requires a carrier specific update to the phone, and that update must only be rolled out to the phones they support.

The most current list of VoLTE supported phones at EE UK (that I could find) does not include any Nokia:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Calls/4G-Calling-on-EE/td-p/575160

I suggest post and ask the EE forum, if Nokia 6 is supposed to be VoLTE enabled at all, and describe the issues you are facing.
    - If calls are lost when moving out or into 4G coverage, then the proper technical term is 4G/3G network "handover".

Please let us know how it goes?

I'm still waiting for Telenor Denmark to enable VoLTE on my Nokia 6.

--
    Hans

• Ben Ben
     /  edited October 2017

The page at http://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device/4g-calling shows that the Nokia 3 and 5 support VOLTE, and when you speak to customer services they tell you that the 6 is supposed to as well. 

Trying the Nokia 8 showed no problems when using my SIM card, so I don't think it's the SIM. 

The Nokia care line chat people said that it's a carrier problem, but when I asked them to explain why the same SIM works perfectly on the 8 and they then changed their tune to we will inform the developers. 

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the next Android Oreo sorts this out!

• now that is interesting that the nokia 8 works fine. so either it is some specific nokia 6 software problem or there is a hardware issue. i have contacted support by email and referenced this thread to them in the hope that they will actually interact with this forum.  i have not heard anything back yet but only sent the email yesterday.

• Ben Ben
     / 

While there is an official policy of not commenting on future software releases, I hope that 7.1.2 fixes this fault. 

https://www.gizbot.com/mobile/news/nokia-8-nokia-6-nokia-5-nokia-3-android-7-1-2-nougat-oreo-update-044653.html 

• user389 user389
    ✭✭✭  / 

Thanks Ben, for info and patience.

• Just wondering if you have had October update incl 7.1.2 to see if it solves the calling problem. I have not had update yet.
  • Ben Ben
     /  edited November 2017

Not got 7.1.2, still waiting. From what I see, the single sim version sold in the UK hasn't been upgraded yet.

• Ok thanks. Just really starting to bug me having to remember to switch to 3g before calling people.
  • Ben Ben
     / 
    7.1.2 has not fixed the 4G calling problem....
  • mine is not updating yet. what a pity. had another look at EE community and they just suggest factory reset but there is no suggestion if that works. have you tried that?

• Ben Ben
     / 
    Factory reset was the first thing I tried.

Regarding the update to 7.1.2, there is an OTA that can be sideloaded to the phone.
    http://www.teamandroid.com/2017/09/01/nokia-6-ota-updates/ and various links from that page have the info you need, but unless you've done it before I'd not suggest you use this method.
  • Ben Ben
     / 

I had another webchat with Nokia customer services and they have told me that it is a network issue, but when I asked them to explain why I didn't get the same issue when using my SIM in the Nokia 8, I didn't get a reply then was asked to disconnect due to inactivity. 

I will speak to EE again to see if they have any further advice, then I will telephone Nokia rather than using the webchat. 

• Webchat useless. I couldn't find number to phone them. Good call on Nokia 8 comment.
    Nokia need to pull up their trousers if they want to be successful once novelty has worn off
  • Unknown
     /  edited November 2017

been having email conversation with support. it is better than chat support but it took them a long time to reply to start with. at this point they are asking me to swap out the sim with one form another provider so see if problem still persists. seems logical but i dont have another sim or a obvious friend etc that  i could borrow a sim of - most are on EE as well.. i went to the carphone warehouse today to see if they had one we could try but they didnt. i am just wondering if anyone has tried this and if the problem still persists with a sim from o2, vodafone etc

• Ben Ben
     / 

I went to the O2 and Three shops in Bradford, unfortunately both shops are outside of 4G reception so they the test wasn't going to work.

I am going to order a 4G O2 SIM card, which comes with a 14 day return policy for testing. It will cost me a couple of quid but at least I'll be able to test at home. 

• Sounds like a good plan. Let me know how you get on
  • Ben Ben
     /  edited November 2017

Tried an O2 SIM on my Nokia 6. I'd not read far enough through the O2 website to notice that they only support 4G calling when using official O2 software on Android devices. 

But before I read that the Nokia 6 did 4G for data then when making a call changed back to 3G. The menu option for wifi calling disappears too. 

Three's website clearly says they don't support 4G calling on devices not bought from them.

Vodafone's website says that only a few specified devices are suitable for 4G calling. 

Back to the drawing board then! Maybe ringing EE technical support again will see if they have found out anything else. 

• What a crazy situation. My ee plan is up in January so I will phone them next week and talk to them. Getting used to switching but it's ridiculous
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭  / 

Hi Ben,

O2 is a Nokia/Siemens network, EE use Huawei technology.

It's for EE to sort out in cooperation with their Huawei technicians and HMD.

A friend's VoLTE enabled Samsung has a toggle in the settings to disable 4G calling if needed or preferred, with a Telenor DK / Nokia Networks SIM.

- It would be great if the issue could be escalated through this forum..!

--
    Hans

• so i have been on the phone with ee this morning who were very helpful. he changed some settings and i had to reboot phone and call - no change. he refreshed the account - no change. i have to leave it 24h and then call back if not solved. i don't think it will be. 

another thing i am going to try tonight is putting sim card back in my old samsung s5 and see if calling works. it is either a nokia 6 problem or a network problem specific to nokia 6. 

at this point i would love some sort of official response or acknowledgement as this is getting ridiculous. are nokia liaising with anyone - are they actually doing anything. i still haven't had 7.1.2 update on my unlocked phone here in the uk