Glitchy phone call audio on bluetooth car kit

Hi, I have a nokia 6 on Oreo 8.0.0 (00WW_5_22A), when connected to the the handsfree kit in my car every few minutes the phone call audio goes all glitchy (sounds like the person at the other end is underwater) for a few seconds making it impossible to have a decent conversation.

Glitchy phone call audio on bluetooth car kit

System System
 /  edited October 23

Hi,

I have a nokia 6 on Oreo 8.0.0 (00WW_5_22A), when connected to the the handsfree kit in my car every few minutes the phone call audio goes all glitchy (sounds like the person at the other end is underwater) for a few seconds making it impossible to have a decent conversation.

I have tried all manor of tests at Nokia's support chat request and nothing is making the problem better. The things I have tried so far are;

-Resetting the network settings

-Setting the TTY mode to full

-Doing a soft reset

-Doing a hard reset

Does anyone have any ideas how I can make my phone usable with a bluetooth handsfree kit?

Many thanks

Jason

Comments

• Unknown
     /  edited October 23
    I have this problem since first os version, 7.0.
    With 7.1.2 and december update, solved at 80%.
    Now, with Oreo update, again the problem.
  • Having fast regular updates is supposed to be a positive but it seems that some of them are really only beta quality.
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭  / 

Hi Jason,

Maintaining good voice quality in a moving car is a challenge for the cell network and the phone. Depending on the mobile operator, you may get better results if the preferred network type is set to 3G or 2G instead of 4G.

- Did you try this already?

Regarding Bluetooth interoperability issues, it is unfair to blame only the phone, or only the handsfree.

- How does another phone with the same SIM perform with the handsfree kit?

For reference please, and for others to maybe provide better answers, which mobile operator/carrier in what country, and what is the make and model of the handsfree kit?

--
    Hans

• Hi Hans,

Thanks for your reply. So I originally had been wondering if it was another cause so had already tried:

- Sitting in a layby with a good signal whilst on a call
    - whilst on a call changing to loud speaker mode on the phone (which did resolve the problem)
    - using my old Samsung s7 with the same sim connected to the car kit (which didn't have the problem)

Do to another issue I have with the phone (it takes ages to connect out going calls as my provider doesn't support volte) my phone is set to 2g / 3g mode anyway.

On Friday I spent almost 2 hours on the Nokia support chat and after all sorts of tests their advice was to wait for this months security update but couldn't confirm that it was a known issue that was due to be fixed. Seemed to me they didn't know what else to do and were trying to get rid of me!

Kind regards
    Jason
  • Sorry I forgot to mention that I am in the UK on plusnet mobile.

Kind regards
    Jason
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭  / 

Thanks for the follow-up Jason. It seems you already tried everything except replace the phone or the handsfree kit.

Plusnet Mobile = EE (Huawei network). Both EE and HMD/Nokia must be aware of the 4G and VoLTE issues with Nokia 6 at EE. There are several posts regarding this in the forum. - Hopefully the Bluetooth call audio quality improves when the basic connectivity issues is sorted out.

Please let the forum know how it goes.

Best regards,

Hans

• I have test all recomendations and nothing.
    I am in Spain, with Movistar net and I have try in 2012 Mercedes Eclass original bluetooth, 2013 Mercedes Viano original bluetooth and in 2017 Mercedes Eclass original bluetooth.
    My previous phone, Microsoft Lumia 640 with the same SIM and without problems.
    In the previous version, puting the volume in low mode, partially solved. Now, this solution is not working.

Regards
  • Unknown
     /  edited June 11

Thank you for posting, it's nice to know it's not just my handset! I've had to go back to using my Samsung as I do a lot of driving for work and it's important for me to be able to take calls whilst driving.

I really like the handset, I even prefer it to my S8 but the software updates just aren't good enough.

Kind regards

Jason

• Unknown
     /  edited June 11
    It is not only your mobile.
    I had bougth 3 units of Nokia 6 and I have this problem with 3 units in all my cars.
    The answer of the help chat was that the problem is in all my Mercedes-Benz bluetooth systems and that the phones works perfectly. They recomend me to repair the original bluetooth or change for aftermarket one, 
    Of course, I will change the "nokia" phones before touch anything in my cars.

Regards
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭  / 

FYI, Mercedes-Benz provide a comprehensive mobile support website at
    http://www.mercedes-benz-mobile.com/

There's an update for SIM Access Protocol and audio quality.

MB has tested and approved Nokia 8 for their 2017 models (with limitations regarding music playback control).

Radio interference may affect Bluetooth audio quality:
    Toggle WiFi off during Bluetooth pairing and while troubleshooting.

In Settings > Securiy & location > Location > Scanning = Try toggle off both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth scanning to see if this makes a difference - but keep location On during pairing and use.

In Settings > Connected devices > Bluetooth = Try temporarily delete other devices (that the phone may be searching for) and close other apps that use Bluetooth.

Of course it should 'just work'. I just wanted to repeat, regarding Bluetooth interoperability issues, it is unfair to blame only the phone, or only the handsfree kit.

Car infotainment systems is much more complex than my legacy BH-111 Bluetooth headset and its 4-way remote control box, so I'm out.

cheers,
    Hans

• Unknown
     /  edited June 11
    Hi. This week I have done your recomendations, and I have the problem still.
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭  / 

Thanks for trying and for feedback.

If the Update_SAP_V4 download from the MB website for the car radio, and the general Bluetooth troubleshooting steps does not improve the call audio stability, then the next step is a Mercedes workshop.

--
    Hans

• Unknown
     /  edited June 11

I have the same issue in my wife's LandRover Discovery  Bluetooth systems, 

continuously broken audio, it is impossible to understand the communication. Maybe there is something I have to disable to improve the audio quality. 

Please Help,

Cheers

• Unknown
     /  edited October 23
    Sorry, but I am not agree with the solution of visit my Mercedes dealer, because the problem is only with Nokia phones. The best choice and cheap solution, change the mobiles.
    We are a professional drivers company and we can't work with this mobiles.
    A sugestion: if you need to use the mobile driving, choice another mobile brand.
    We are waiting around a year for a solution and still nothing.
    We don't need the rest of features of the mobile, only calls and emails, so I don't know in the mobile has more issues.

Regards
  • TimoA TimoA
     / 

user1509332135099,

first you tell us that: "we can't work with this mobiles" and that: "We are waiting around a year for a solution " From this I understand that you have not been working during the past 12 months at all (instead, you have just been sitting lazy in you three M-B cars, professionally).  

Yet, you are teaching us that: "The best choice and cheap solution, change the mobiles" but for some reason you yourself have not done so.  Instead you have chosen to not to work with your three M-B cars, professionally, during the 12 last months, and just complain here, repeating your teaching with tautology such as: "A sugestion: if you need to use the mobile driving, choice another mobile brand". 

Then, you finalize your contribution by the most profound: "I don't know in the mobile has more issues".  This is absolutely the most valuable and ingenious piece of information that we all were eager to learn and we are eternally grateful that you finally shared this gem with us.

FWIIW, I have had my Nokia 6 about six months now, I've been using the Bluetooth connection extensively, I have two high end headsets (different models/manufacturers) and two cheap BT adapters for headsets(different models/manufacturers), two BT speakers (different models/manufacturers), two keyboards (different models/manufacturers) and I have transferred data via BT between several computers and other phones. There has never been any kind of issues with those connections.  This is my seventh Android phone and the BT is behaving better or moch better than how it was with the previous six phones. 

• """" user1509332135099,

first you tell us that: "we can't work with this mobiles" and that: "We are waiting around a year for a solution " From this I understand that you have not been working during the past 12 months at all (instead, you have just been sitting lazy in you three M-B cars, professionally).   

Yet, you are teaching us that: "The best choice and cheap solution, change the mobiles" but for some reason you yourself have not done so.  Instead you have chosen to not to work with your three M-B cars, professionally, during the 12 last months, and just complain here, repeating your teaching with tautology such as: "A sugestion: if you need to use the mobile driving, choice another mobile brand".  

Then, you finalize your contribution by the most profound: "I don't know in the mobile has more issues".  This is absolutely the most valuable and ingenious piece of information that we all were eager to learn and we are eternally grateful that you finally shared this gem with us.

FWIIW, I have had my Nokia 6 about six months now, I've been using the Bluetooth connection extensively, I have two high end headsets (different models/manufacturers) and two cheap BT adapters for headsets(different models/manufacturers), two BT speakers (different models/manufacturers), two keyboards (different models/manufacturers) and I have transferred data via BT between several computers and other phones. There has never been any kind of issues with those connections.  This is my seventh Android phone and the BT is behaving better or moch better than how it was with the previous six phones. """""

You win, congratulations !!!. I don´t want to discuss with you.

You are teaching us that with your bluetooth devices, your nokia is working fine. Thank you for your comments. They are very helpfully for us in a thread with the title "Glitchy phone call audio on bluetooth car kit".

I think that you have select a wrong thread to write your experience. Search another threath with the title " I am very happy with my Nokia" or somethink like that to lost you time.

Here, we are writing our experiences with the diferents bluetooth car kits, not with headset, keyboard, etc ( remember again to read the tittle )

I have put the brand of the cars to search a solution, like another person put another brand. Not to say that we have 3 Mercedes in our company, it is to search a possible solution.

But, of course, you are very happy with your Nokia using a keyboard and external speaker, and you think that we need your valoration in this thread with the tittle "Glitchy phone call audio on bluetooth car kit". Thank you for your help

The people that have this problems and work with the phone, know what I want to say.

I never said that you have writted.

- We are working of course, but with a headset, but in our country is prohibited.

- If we don´t change the mobiles yet, it is because the support said us that with the Android 8.0 will be solved, and this one is not ocurred.

- I said that I don´t know if the mobile has more issues, because we use for work, not for play or ear music with bluetooth headset or bluetooth speaker or bluetooth mouses. We use for calls because remember that is a phone.

I said that because I am not writing in another threads trying to help the people ( like you saying that your phone work well (very important for us)) , and not destroying the threads with the helping information

Thanks so much for your comments. You have help us.

Have a nice day/night

Regards

• This topic seems to be getting rather personal without reason.

I have now stopped using the nokia 6 and now permanently using my s7. I have tested the nokia 6 on a bluetooth headset that I have laying about and had exactly the same problem with that. 

I am not for one minute saying that everyone is having this problem but please do not also assume that just because some people are having this problem it must be with their car.

I even have a cheap archos phone (£50)  that I occasionally use on the car kit and that too works without issue. 

There is clearly a hardware or software issue with some nokia 6's out there that results in regular scrambled audio quality whilst using bluetooth. I have resolved my problem by no longer using the phone which is a shame as I really liked it.

There is a secondary issue this raises which is that I found the nokia after sales support to be awful. I wasted several hours using their support chat trying to fix the problem and their end advice wasn't to take it for repair but to wait for the next software update even though they had no information on whether this was something they knew was going to be dealt in that update or not. There is a similar issue with the dolby sound since the oreo update and there yet again isn't even an acknowledgement from nokia that this problem even exists. That issue wasn't as great as the bluetooth issue but again highlights the poor after sales from nokia.

I really like the look of the new nokia 6 but after only a few months with the previous one nokia's after sales has put me off buying it. To be honest I still visit this forum every now and then wishing to see a post stating the the dolby issue is acknowledge and resolved and someone actually giving some decent advice about this bluetooth issue just to convince me that these issues are only a one off and not signs of poor service from nokia.

Kind regards

Jason

• We use plantronics e50 model heaser puting the volume at minimun and works fine.
    Tested another models like mc70 and mc90 from the same brand, and works fine too ( changed because the headsets batteries died )

Regards
  • Hallo,

Ich nutze mein Nokia 6 mit einer Skoda Freisprecheinrichtung. Ich habe das selbe Problem. Das Gespräch wird immer wieder dadurch unterbrochen, dass die Stimme des Gesprächspartners für einen Moment verzerrt und unverständlich verschwommen wiedergegeben wird. Ein vernünftiges telefonieren ist so nicht möglich. Bis zum letzten Update war eine Premium Verbindung über rSAP möglich. Dies war sehr komfortabel und klappte super. Leider geht dies nun nicht mehr. Hoffentlich ändert sich etwas mit den nächsten Updates.
  • Unknown
     /  edited June 11
    I have the same problem in my Audi A4(2014) Samsung, iPhone, Nokia Lumia... All of them no problem and worked fine, now Nokia 6...and a normal Phone call over BT without disturbing noises is not possible anymore. Will Nokia solve the Problem? This ist my first try for Nokia again after a long time but If Nokia does not provide a solution, it will be also the last Nokia for me.
  • My phone and my BOSS head unit in my work truck has the same crappy phone call quality as everyone else here. It is so bad I was forced to buy the Nokia 6.1, which work thankfully, but has other issues the Nokia 6 had zero problems with. Can Nokia get this right? I really do not want to be forced to buy a Motorola. HELP, PLEASE!!!! 

• Regarding bluetooth, I've tested a Nokia 6.1 to play music in many new stereos in the shop (both bluetooth and USB) and there is no sound.

• Unknown
     /  edited August 30
    Hello: I am in July 2018 security update. I have found a partial solution working since June update. When you want to use bluetooth hands free with cars and earphones, dissable the WIFI toggle. The mobile use the same chip for WIFI and bluetooth and there is a problem with it if you use together. If you dissable the WIFI funtion when you use bluetooth, no more strange sounds. I am waiting the august update to publish and confirm this "patch solution", but I haven't received it yet. Regards
  • Unknown
     /  edited August 30

I will make some test too!! Thanks for sharing the solution.

Tony

• I will also test. Sounds as good an answer as any other. Hope it works. Thanks!

• user1509332135099, THANKYOU! Calls are crystal clear and no dropouts when plying Amazon music app! Thankyou!

• You're welcome.
    There is another moment that you will get the strange sounds.
    I try to explain: if you have connected a earphones by bluetooth and you are near of another previous allowed to pair bluetooth ( example: car hands free ) you will ear again the strange sounds. To solve: it is necesary to disable the bluetooth of unpaired equipment.
    I think that the problem is that when our phones try to get 2 diferents connections ( bluetooth + WIFI or bluetooth + another bluetooth ), the chip fails.
    I hope that Nokia doesn't try to solve this problem and keep us working with this partial solution. I see that when they try to solve some problem, they generate another 3 new problem.
  • I have the same issue as well in my both cars.
    Was using Samsung J5 before and it was working fine.
    The issue appeared only when I used Nokia6