Feature request

Well, the chinese version of Nokia smartphones is different....but got to know a feature which was added in the Chinese Nokia 7 in the Pie update....Touch Ball...

Feature request

prasad134 prasad134
✭✭✭  /  edited December 2018
Well, the chinese version of Nokia smartphones is different....but got to know a feature which was added in the Chinese Nokia 7 in the Pie update....Touch Ball...
It isnt possible to put this feature in the other versions of Nokia phones maybe...but wouldn't it be great to have it?
Any thoughts guys?

Comments

• tpamparo tpamparo
    ✭✭✭  / 
    What exactly is touch ball and what can it do?
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    tpamparo said:
    Just like a floating ball, primarily made famous by the iPhones. It allows you to quickly access other apps or functions of the device. There's also some AI baked into it which makes it understand which apps you use often and make them easily accessible Here are some screenshots for you:

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @prasad134 A part of me feels that this will eventually happen on some future launches. Due to Android One, Nokia is not customizing the Android at all. Motorola does have Android One phones, but they manage to add quite a few important goodies using the "Moto Actions" system app. Nokia should be able to achieve something like that.

For now, I'm happy at home on the China ROM. If your Nokia phone is rooted, then @akilesh made a Magisk module which brings the AI ball to other phones too.
  • prasad134 prasad134
    ✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    tpamparo said:
    Just like a floating ball, primarily made famous by the iPhones. It allows you to quickly access other apps or functions of the device. There's also some AI baked into it which makes it understand which apps you use often and make them easily accessible Here are some screenshots for you:

This is the chinese version right @singhnsk ?
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    prasad134 said:
    Correct. My Nokia 7 runs on the CN ROM.
  • prasad134 prasad134
    ✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    prasad134 said:
    Correct. My Nokia 7 runs on the CN ROM.
    @singhnsk , how are able to get the network speed in your notification bar? Is it an app or given by Nokia itself?

• prasad134 prasad134
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Also , if anyone knows about such features which are in the chinese version of Nokia phones...can you tell about them? Many users would find these features useful and would like Nokia to add them in all phones...
    I know its not possible due to Android One...but still if it's possible...our requests would be worth it....
  • wyk wyk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    That's why Almost all companies release a special Chinese version of mobile... For rest it will follow typical android essence. U can think iff google implements it. 👍
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@singhnsk , how are able to get the network speed in your notification bar? Is it an app or given by Nokia itself?

If is built into the CN ROM. Similarly there are other helpful features too..I'll make a list someday. 
  • prasad134 prasad134
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I hope you could post the list here someday...
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @singhnsk did you make that list yet? ;)
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    @singhnsk did you make that list yet? ;)
    Oh well :( I actually have two phones ready to do a side-by-side comparison. Let me do that tonight! I was hoping to make a video which has actually caused all the delay 🙈
  • prasad134 prasad134
    ✭✭✭  / 
    A video will be a superb eye opener👌👌
  • prasad134 prasad134
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Also i dont know how come Chinese version has face unlock? If HMD's patent got rejected then does it mean patents are not required to put features in Chinese versions of these phone?
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    prasad134 said:
    Also i dont know how come Chinese version has face unlock? If HMD's patent got rejected then does it mean patents are not required to put features in Chinese versions of these phone?
    Actually what got rejected was a trademark application and not a patent. Since the term "Face Unlock" is so common, it is natural that a trademark will not be granted for this. I am not even sure why would any sane trademark application manager even spend money on making such an application.
    And well, yes, we do not need a trademark to implement face unlocking :smile: I'm again raising concerns over this Android One thingy. If it is limiting OEMs to give more to their customers, then I'd rather avoid having that branding.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @singhnsk I fully agree, Android One seems like more of a ball and chain than a great enabler.