Phone restarting itself

My new Nokia 8 is restarting itself around 2 times a day.

Phone restarting itself

iycanthropy iycanthropy
✭✭  /  edited September 2017
My new Nokia 8 is restarting itself around 2 times a day.

I cannot pinpoint a reason for this. Sometimes it happens in the middle of the night. It has occured when hanging the phone up or simply opening an app. I just get a restart and the phone carries on working as normal until the next restart.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or do I have a faulty unit?

Comments

• Wildfire Wildfire
     /  edited September 2017
    I think it's a faulty product.
  • iycanthropy iycanthropy
    ✭✭  /  edited October 2017
    Is there any way of verifying this? It seems very random and it could be something in the firmware or my configuration that is causing it. Is there any way of looking for error logs in Android?
  • DrewBurton DrewBurton
     /  edited December 2017
    I have had my phone 2 days now and, generally, I am very happy with it however, although I haven't actually seen my phone restart, 3 times now I have picked my phone up and found that I have to enter my pin code to unlock the phone implying that it has restarted itself whilst inactive.
    I assume (and hope) that this is a rectifiable software issue.
  • mcdona922 mcdona922
    ✭✭  / 
    Having exactly the same issues as you guys. Phone randomly reboots and then continues to carry on like nothing happened, until the next reboot. Contacted support and was advised to try a factory reset. In some small way I'm glad to see I'm not alone with this issue. Looks like this product may have been rushed to market with buggy firmware. Let's hope Oreo will be properly tested before being pushed.
    ✭✭  / 
    My setup includes an SD card and a DN tempered glass screen protector, I wonder if any of these items are causing an issue?
  • You can always check the uptime if you are unsure if it actually rebooted or not. In about phone and status.
  • mcdona922 mcdona922
    Tried a factory reset this morning as well formatting my SD card natively in the phone. So far not a single reboot. Maybe just the placebo effect but the phone seems a lot more responsive. Will continue to monitor.
    ✭✭  / 
    I've noticed uptime sometimes doesn't reset after a reset which is strange.

Keep us posted mcdona922. I'm reluctant to format and reset as my phone is configured just how I like it.
  • mcdona922 mcdona922
    Just a small update to say that since doing the factory reset and formatting my SD card in the phone, I haven't had a single reboot or application hang. The only small issue I've had is with smart lock showing a blank screen. This has been discussed over on XDA. The working solution is to go into Settings->Security->Trust Agents and disable smart lock. Reboot the phone and re-enable smart lock and everything works as it should. Hopefully this intermittent bug will be patched soon.
  • mcdona922, I am thinking of doing the same but is there a way to backup your different page/screens and apps?

• mcdona922 mcdona922
    Apps etc can all be restored via Google play. Just choose the restore option when setting back up, as opposed to 'set up as a new device". Google Play should allow you to do this as long as you currently have backup and sync enabled. As for Screen layout etc, that's something I'm not sure about. As far I'm aware there isn't any way of restoring your screens, but I may be wrong? For me it was a small price to pay for having phone that actually works.
  • I'm having the same problem. Almost every morning, before l leaving to work, I plug in my headphones and the phone immediately freezes. Pressing power button will only turn on/off the screen but can't unlock, everything isn't responsive. A few seconds later, the phone restarts. Sometimes, it restarts when opening an App. At first, I though it was related to the Glance feature, but turning this off resulted in the same effects.

Contacted support, but unfortunately, haven't had a reply, which isn't a good indicator. Trying the factory reset and see if it helps.

• user1506937881942 user1506937881942
     /  edited December 2017

user1506944829758 all support said was to do a factory reset. I don't want to, but it seems like the only option :(

✭✭  / 
    I've done my reset to manufacturers settings. I'll see how it goes and let you all know. I restored my backup from Google drive and it restored all my apps, widgets and pages perfectly.
  • user1506937881942 user1506937881942
     /  edited December 2017

So I had Safe mode on until this morning and no restarts happened. I now restarted back to normal mode and I am waiting to see if it will randomly restart again

• I've done a factory restart 21h ago. This morning, when I plugged the headphones jack it didn't freeze or restart like it usually does, but it's only 21h. I'll give it a full week to see if it doesn't happen again.

• My phone stops working out ofna sudden!! The screen goes blank..but the phone vibrates on notifications....
    And this problem isnt fixed itself...i have to restart the phone by pressing both the volume keys and the start button...and then only my phone starts. So its not a normal restart! And this happens two times a day or three times a day.
    I have complained on the Nokia Support App, but they have not been able to solve the problem or give me a logicao reason for this answer.
    So disappointed in Nokia!!!!
    It has only been 3 weeks since i got this phone!! Never expected such unreliability from Nokia!
    ✭✭  / 
    After 24 hours we seem perfectly stable with my device. It also seems faster. Placebo effect maybe?

As for the above post. That seems a different issue from what I experienced. A reset may be a solution that works for that problem as well.
  • So my Spotify app crashed and my phone restarted automatically again :( I will have to do a factory reset

• Henhoy Henhoy
     / 

I have the issue my self, most of the time my phone resets, is when connecting to the hands-free in my car. I will follow this thread for some days before deciding to factory reset or not.

• I factory reset my device yesterday and my problems started again today.
    I think my rebooting problem is linked to my Galaxy Gear S3 smart watch which I permanently linked by Bluetooth. When I move out of Bluetooth range I often return to my device and find that it has rebooted and my settings app often force closes when I manually reconnect it.
    I am also having problems with the phone app force closing.
    I have contacted Nokia support as I need to know if this is a rectifiable software issue or do I need to swap my device for something else but so far I have been ignored.
    I think this is a great shame as this is a device that I really like but these issues render it not fit for purpose for me.
    Nokia please respond.
  • Same happens to mine. Apps force close often (say around a day or two), been to the service centre and got replaced but the problem persists. I have trouble in making calls too, sent information to Nokia Support but no response since then. Quite **** off with such quality.
  • Henhoy Henhoy
     / 
    I got a small firmware update two days Ago, still security level September.
    I have not had a reboot since, so I keep my fingers crossed, and will report back.
  • I had some issues with mine before the small firmware update a few days ago, it seems to have solved my stability issues.

Those of you thinking of returning your phone, I would hold off, give them a chance to iron the bugs out and push some firmware updates, it's a very new phone that has literally just been released and it's not at all unusual to have some issues and certainly not unique to Nokia, try having a Samsung phone if you want software issues that never get fixed and firmware that just doesn't get updated, not even for security patches. My S4 had some of the worst firmware ever on it. Most annoying being the modem micro code, which would constantly cause the modem to crash resulting in no audio during voice calls, a known issue with Samsung phones since the S2. I was always having to reboot that phone, great hardware but really poorly written software.

The big Oreo update is due before the end of this month, it's currently in beta testing, so fingers crossed for a decent firmware when it's released.
  • Henhoy Henhoy
     / 

I am now on the fourth day after the small update, and have still not had a reboot.

• Mine hasn't restarted or crashed in a while and I didn't factory reset. It could be the recent security patch that I've downloaded

• Henhoy Henhoy
     / 

And now it has not restarted for six days, after the small update. I expect only to report back, if the issue returns.

• After the factory reset and the security update, it's been 135h since the phone was last turned on. None of the previous behaviours have re-occurred, which sounds pretty good.

• Anyone format sd card as internal storage?
  • Aslan Memon Aslan Memon
     /  edited May 2018
    My Nokia 2 keeps restarting all of a sudden like this, I've Nokia 5 too but only 2 exhibits this behavior. Tried support but no help. They said uninstall WhatsApp (only this app is installed after Wikipedia) and I did but no good. Hope Nokia is working on this it this will leave a very bad taste to one it's loyal customer.

P.S. both Nokia 2 and 5 are box packed and bought recently.
Prev1