Nokia 7.1 stuck in download mode after update to Pie 9.0 (V3.45A)

I have received the OTA update of Pie 9.0 (V3.45A), coming from 9.0 (V3.39A). The download & install was fine.

Nokia 7.1 stuck in download mode after update to Pie 9.0 (V3.45A)

gem1234 gem1234
✭✭  /  edited December 2018
I have received the OTA update of Pie 9.0 (V3.45A), coming from 9.0 (V3.39A). The download & install was fine. The phone asked for a reboot, so I did.
The reboot failed, the recovery mode came up. I decided to reboot once again, and since then. the phone is stuck in download mode.

I have tried to hold the volume-up together with the power button, but it only gets back to download mode again. Any idea how to achieve a factory reset now?

Thanks for your support!

Tagged:

Comments

• gem1234 gem1234

I tried to use the there described adb/fastboot method, and it helped to reboot and to select the hard reset. After wiping all data, the phone has restarted and now it is locked in an endless reboot circle, ending once again in "download mode".

Using fastboot now once again ends directly in "download mode" after 4-5 unsuccessful reboots, so no possibility to wipe the phone for now again.

Any ideas welcome.

• I'm experiencing an almost identical issue, though mine flashed "Data Corrupted" for about 1/2 second during the install.

I spent some time with Nokia's technical support yesterday and they've told me that the only thing I can do is send my phone in to them for repair. 
  • bobbo bobbo
    ✭✭  / 
    Hi,
    Have you tried to boot in recovery and flash again Pie 9.0 (V3.45A)?
    Use “Apply update from SD Card” or ADB - adb sideload <update.zip> from recovery.
    To boot in recovery power off the phone, use the USB Type-C cable in order to connect the phone to a charger/PC, hold Volume UP and power buttons for 10 sec.

OTA Update.zip file (Size: 139MB) for TA-1095 is available on following link, just scroll down and you will see it:
    https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/11674/nokia-7-1-now-on-android-9-pie/p6

or full Android Pie 9.0 (V3.45A) Size: 1318.5MB:
    https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/11674/nokia-7-1-now-on-android-9-pie/p5

Additional when you are in recovery you can "View recovery logs" /tmp/recovery.log and send a picture of the logs, here. 

You can also check from what bootloader site/slot you have booted and try to change it.
    From "download mode" type following fastboot commands:
    fastboot getvar current-slot
    If slot A is active, you can try to switch it to ''B'':
    fastboot --set-active=_b
    or ''A''
     fastboot --set-active=_a
    next try rebooting, if still doesn't boot try to re-flash Android 9.0 (V3.45A) December security patch from recovery.

I hope this helps.

• gem1234 gem1234
    Thanks for your support, bobbo. I had already applied the adb sideload method before, but it failed. I returned the phone and I have received a new one in the meantime. All operational again, the 7.1 is a fine one.  :smile:
  • I just installed the 2019-01 update and have exactly the same issue. Is their still no solution to this problem?
  • bobbo bobbo
    ✭✭  /  edited January 2019
    kvdg said:
    I just installed the 2019-01 update and have exactly the same issue. Is their still no solution to this problem?
    Have you tried to reflash the January patch or switch the boot site?
    See my post above... And let me know if it works...tnx
  • bobbo said:
    kvdg said:
    I just installed the 2019-01 update and have exactly the same issue. Is their still no solution to this problem?
    I am not able to enter any other function than this Odin mode. Pressing the power button and volume doesn't break the mode. My battery is already drained as well but still not able to leave this mode.
  • Internet addict Internet addict
    ✭✭  /  edited January 2019
    My Nokia 7.1 had the same problem. The januari secuirity update went wrong and the phone rebooted itself a couple of dozen times until it got stuck in download mode. I could not even turn the stupid thing off anymore. It just came back on every time. I returned it to the t-mobile shop for a repair. 

All the problems i have with this garbage phone is just ubsurd. I now use a old Samsung S5 phone from a friend and even this phone is better than the Nokia. It just works without all the stupid buggs. I regret giving away my iPhone se after buying the Nokia.
  • bobbo bobbo
    ✭✭  / 
    kvdg said:
    bobbo said:
    kvdg said:
    I am not able to enter any other function than this Odin mode. Pressing the power button and volume doesn't break the mode. My battery is already drained as well but still not able to leave this mode.
    Try to power off the phone by holding the "power off" button until device is switched off. Next try to go in recovery mode - plugin the USB-C cabel and hold together power + "volume up" buttons , once it start release the power button but keep holding "volume up" button until device go to recovery mode. If device is able to enter recovery check and share the logs. And try to adb sideload the Jan. Security patch.
  • bobbo said:
    kvdg said:
    bobbo said:
    kvdg said:
    Try to power off the phone by holding the "power off" button until device is switched off. Next try to go in recovery mode - plugin the USB-C cabel and hold together power + "volume up" buttons , once it start release the power button but keep holding "volume up" button until device go to recovery mode. If device is able to enter recovery check and share the logs. And try to adb sideload the Jan. Security patch.
    I tried this but it won't go into any other mode then the download mode. I am now using my old Moto G4 and am going to return the Nokia Phone after the weekend.
  • Same problem here. How has Nokia not addressed this. The customer chat was worthless. After explaining the problem they asked me to turn on the phone to get the IMEI number. Then they tried to get me to boot into safe mode. After that they disconnected. 
  • gem1234 said:
    I have received the OTA update of Pie 9.0 (V3.45A), coming from 9.0 (V3.39A). The download & install was fine. The phone asked for a reboot, so I did.
    The reboot failed, the recovery mode came up. I decided to reboot once again, and since then. the phone is stuck in download mode.

I have tried to hold the volume-up together with the power button, but it only gets back to download mode again. Any idea how to achieve a factory reset now?

Thanks for your support!

PL visit service centre
  • I have got same issue with my new nokia 7.1 please Nokia fix this or return me my money
  • gem1234 said:

Thanks for your support!

Could you please mention the location? Or this issue is global?
    I tried to flash updare.zip available on XDA but it says its timestamp is older than installed versiom so installation is aborted. How to fix it?
  • I am back at team iphone. Goodbye Nokia.

I will advise anyone i know not to buy a Nokia phone.
  • bobbo bobbo
    ✭✭  / 
    I am back at team iphone. Goodbye Nokia.

I will advise anyone i know not to buy a Nokia phone.
    May I have (save) your Nokia device?
  • How to reflash january security patch? I could not find it. I downloaded full pie update and it said its time stamp is older than already installed version. Pkease help!
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Mariha said:
    How to reflash january security patch? I could not find it. I downloaded full pie update and it said its time stamp is older than already installed version. Pkease help!
    You cannot do that on a locked bootloader. The update does not install again once you have updated.
  • Matt Nona Matt Nona
    ✭✭  / 
    johnsmith said:
     After explaining the problem they asked me to turn on the phone to get the IMEI number. 
    You can get your IMEI number without turning your phone on, it's on the box as well as on your sim tray.
    I do agree with you that Nokia's support is useless and incopetent.
  • Pesho Pesho
    ✭✭  / 
    I got exactly the same issue that gem1234 describes. Got the update yesterday and after rebooting the phone went to recovery mode.  It was giving only two options -- "Try again" or "Factory data reset". I tried again but it got to recovery mode again. Then I selected the factory data reset and I answered yes to the question whether I agree the data to be wiped out. The phone rebooted and stuck at the boot screen with the androidone logo and a "Download mode" at the top left corner of the screen. After that I could not even turn it off. So I let it stay on while I am at work, hoping the battery will drain off. A few hours later it was off, no power. After about 30 minutes charging, I was able to get it to recovery mode again and tried a factory data reset again. The phone stuck to the boot screen in download mode again. I discussed it with the Nolka support, they advised me to send it for repair. My phone is on its way to them I hope it returns fully operational.    
  • Matt Nona Matt Nona
    ✭✭  / 
    Yea same thing happened to me but unlike you I'm still waiting for Nokia support to attach the freaking shipping label to the email. Absolutely discusted with them, been talking to them for 4 days now and they keep saying it's been "escalated to relevant department". 
  • Приветствую. Кто нибудь смог решить данную проблему с обновлениями? У меня случилась такая же проблема с обновлениями, отдал телефон в сервис через магазин в котором купил, теперь сижу и думаю вернут отремонтированные или "кирпич"
  • Приветствую. Кто нибудь смог решить данную проблему с обновлениями? У меня случилась такая же проблема с обновлениями, отдал телефон в сервис через магазин в котором купил, теперь сижу и думаю вернут отремонтированные или "кирпич"
    Нет, не решили, а вернуть должны рабочий, они же просто прошивку перезальют. И лучше пиши на английском, а то фиг кто ответит
  • nokia ta1097 (7.1) stuck on download mode..after official ota update set only download mode
  • Nokia 7.1 stuck in download mode after update to Pie 9.0 

Thanks for your support!
  • lmf1411 lmf1411
    ✭✭  / 
    Same here, stuck in Download Mode after May update. Tried via fastboot with no results. Any ideas on flashing the stock rom somehow? Thank you!
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    lmf1411 said:
    Same here, stuck in Download Mode after May update. Tried via fastboot with no results. Any ideas on flashing the stock rom somehow? Thank you!
    You cannot flash it yourself since the bootloader is locked. You'll need to visit Nokia Care or else buy some remote flashing services.
  • lmf1411 lmf1411
    ✭✭  / 
    Bought this crap outside my country, I can't send it to be repaired. Can't believe a simple security update messed everything up. 
  • Kazimir Kazimir
    ✭✭  / 
    lmf1411 said:
    Yes, I have the same problem. I got the May security update, restarted the phone, and now, it has an endless boot cycle. I can't get into the recovery, and the phone always boot in download mode.
  • lmf1411 lmf1411
    ✭✭  / 
    Kazimir said:
    lmf1411 said:
    Yes, I have the same problem. I got the May security update, restarted the phone, and now, it has an endless boot cycle. I can't get into the recovery, and the phone always boot in download mode.
    Solved it thanks to Techmestro fix service for 8 bucks, they flashed stock Rom remotely. Hope it helps!