My priorities - stability, security and features, in that order

Hi everyone, One of the most disappointing things I keep reading on the forums is the number of people who are experiencing instability, bugs, broken and missing features and overall sadness after security and OS updates to their beloved HMD Nokia phones.

My priorities - stability, security and features, in that order

Hi everyone,

One of the most disappointing things I keep reading on the forums is the number of people who are experiencing instability, bugs, broken and missing features and overall sadness after security and OS updates to their beloved HMD Nokia phones. I completely understand and share your frustration with this, nothing is more disappointing than installing an update which causes more problems than it fixes. It took Microsoft several years to learn this, and in many cases they still make mistakes. HMD must learn that it is not acceptably at allto issue updates which cause problems. There is no excuse for this. This is something which we tried to explain to the marketing team for the MENA region in Dubai when I and the other competition winners were there, but I'm not sure they understood properly.

That's why I decided to post here what my priorities are for the software of my HMD Nokia phone.
  1. Stability - I don't want updates that introduce new bugs that make the phone unpleasant to use or even completely unusable
  2. Security - Don't make my device less secure by introducing new bugs in poorly tested OS updates
  3. Features -Don't remove or break features in security and OS updates.
All of the above have happened, I know this from the vast number of posts I read on the forum.

If you agree with my priorities, please reply below. If you don't agree, please reply and say why, I'm really interested to know (I might learn something, you might convince me!).

In the meantime, if you don't trust the HMD updates (like me) you can make it so your device doesn't auto-update by going into the developer settings (find instructions for this elsewhere on the web).

Cheers :)

Comments

• I totally agree. I can mention specific problems. Nokia 6 problem with Dobly Atmos after updating on Oreo. Nokia 8 update of the non-optimized application camera PRO. After the security update on Nokia 8 does not work SmartLock well. 
  • @petrus, my original post is back! I'll ask HMD to close the duplicate :)
  • @madbilly I totally agree with you and this is what I was also trying to explain to the marketing team that 'Stability' matters. Nobody wants a software on their phone that breaks with each update. However, I think we should give HMD sometime to act on this. So, are you planning to update your Nokia 8 to Android Pie Stable update when it arrives? I would really want you to try and install the update and see if Nokia has listened to us on these topics and see if you face the same complications. Basically, this would be a reality check to see if HMD Nokia has really listened to the feedbacks that all of us provided.
  • @wilson shrestha I was going to install the beta but they stopped it before I had chance to properly backup all my settings and data (I don't only use Google stuff so it's a little complicated). Since I can no longer do the beta I will wait and see what the general response is before I update my phone to Android 9, when HMD release it for the 8.
  • @madbilly Well Mr. Juho Sarvikas already mentioned about the stable update on twitter so everyone should be receiving the update in no time. 

Crying on my Sirocco 😭.
  • madbilly madbilly
    **  /  edited December 2018
    @wilson shrestha thanks for sharing the link, I'll let you know when my pie arrives!

Don't worry about your Sirocco until you see how successful the update is on the 8s!
  • After the December security update, the SmartLock issue has been fixed. :)  PS: I'm still running on Oreo.  ;)
  • Me too, pie update not available for me yet, but I'm also not sure I'll bother upgrading yet.
  • Muser Muser
    **  / 
    Agreed, there are Nokia 6 issues that have been outstanding for almost a year (Atmos bugs, connectivity problems, issues with developer options, etc).

Granted I don't think it's all HMD's fault, similar issues have been reported on devices from other OEM's (including Pixel) so it may also be an issue with Google pushing broken updates.