Volume during regular phone call way too low

When I make a phone call, the call volume is way too low. This has not always been this case, only since the Oreo update.

Volume during regular phone call way too low

Kristian Kristian
 /  edited November 13

When I make a phone call, the call volume is way too low. This has not always been this case, only since the Oreo update. But the speaker is fine, because when I place a call via an app, like a Whatsapp call, Telegram call or Skype call, the volume is fine. It's just normal cellular calls. I guess it's a software issue, not a hardware issue. Does anybody have the same problem? I know, I'm old fashioned, I still use my smartphone as an actual phone - and I consider placing phone calls the most important feature on a phone, so I'm quite desperate. And I already reset my phone to factory settings - to no avail.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• user389 user389
    ✭✭✭  / 

Hi Kristian,

The volume-up button on my phone does not always respond to the first tap while on a call, so keep tapping or press and hold volume-up during a call until it hopefully works?

Please refer to the point of sale if the issue persist. Proper evaluation is best done hands-on, and in this case it's easy to show what is failing.

--
    Hans

• Finally found one post with the same problem as i have. Please keep this post updated.

• Kristian Kristian
     /  edited May 25

I hope the upcoming Oreo 8.1 update will fix the problem, although I somehow doubt it. I wonder why there aren't more people complaining about it -  I'm sure it's a software issue, so more people should be affected by it...

•  

I have the same problem with Nokia 6. After first Oreo update, the volume in call is incredible low. If i'm outside with some background noise, i can't hear anything. I understand that the default value for maxim volume is now set lower than before. I hope that the next update will fix this problem. 

• Kristian Kristian
     / 

I went to the shop where I bought my phone and told them my problem. They sent it back to Nokia, and ten days later I got it back, and now it's working fine again :-) They told me that they did a software update of some sort. 

• user1529739827467 user1529739827467
     /  edited July 14

Following this topic.

I hace the same issue on my one week old nokia 6.1.

• user1528202741268 user1528202741268
     /  edited October 1
    I don't make many phone calls, but today i found out i have this problem too. I know when i bought this phone, it worked wel, i guess it happened after the june update. And it's not only in regular phone calls, when i make a call in whatsapp, the volume is way too low too.
  • user1512580420423 user1512580420423
     /  edited October 15

I had the same problem. About a week i have read a post here where a guy said that he fixed his problem by cleaning the earpiece with a needle. So, after i cleaned my earpiece (speaker), the sound is loud and clear. If you plan to do this, take care with the needle, not to broke something in the speaker. 

• I have the same issue with my new Nokia 6.1. and I have been searching for some resolution, couldn't find any. and it is an issue only with the regular calls. if I do a call using whatsapp the volume is great.

• Mockingbird Mockingbird
     /  edited August 23
    I have this very same issue. The phone is barely two months old. It worked fine until today where the call audio has gone really low and is of very poor quality.

I have tried restarting it but no luck.
  • user1534961721663 user1534961721663
     /  edited August 25

I found on another forum that if you go to the settings->app->phone and clear the cache, it temporarily fixes the volume. It worked for me just now.

• Tried it before, didn't work then, doesn't work now. If it is a sofware bug (which is i guess, cause when increasing or decreasing the volume there is almost no difference, and when i put the level on its lowest, the slider doesn't go all the way to left but stops about 1/2 an inch from the beginning of the volumebar, to me it seems like it needs to be recalibrated). To bad it takes forever to hear word from Nokia or to come with a solution (update) about this.

• user1535167391034 user1535167391034
     /  edited November 1
    I also facing the low call volume during call... Its completely a software bug whereas this was not there in nought...
    Pls nokia fix the issue asap... Its been pending for months now... Take it on priority and maximize the default caller volume to atleast 95 in the upcoming security update..
  • Hi All - Even I am facing this problem in the nokia 6.1 I bought few days back, can someone please suggest a solution.

Thanks

Natraj

• I had the call volume go low again after previously fixing it with the cache/data clear and reboot, so I went to the apps settings and deleted the cache and data for phone. It worked again on my 6.1 running Oreo.
  • Thanks for the response, do we keep doing it or do it once and it works, can you please let me know

• It seems like the volume on my phone started getting soft again after 3 weeks, so that's when I cleared the phone app cache/data and restarted the phone again. I will probably have to do it again in another three weeks time.
  • I cleared cache and data on my phone app, but doesn't seem to help.

• Try rebooting the phone after you clear everything
  • I tried, it worked for just one call and then back to low volume.

Can you confirm which version of Android you have is it 8.1.0.

• Yes, 8.1.0
  • Can you please give the exact steps. I will try again. this is highly irritating, this is a must feature for any phone.

Does anyone know if the bluetooth speaker works fine?

• Nasu81 Nasu81
     / 
    DOLBY surround dezactivat și o să funcționeze volumul la maxim
  • Sitaram Shrestha Sitaram Shrestha
     /  edited October 1
    In maximum volume level, Some time ringing volume is very low in Nokia 6 (2017). That's why I can't hear phone calls. What can I do?
  • Put it on speaker (i know annoying ) and hope for the best for an update that solves the problem
  • i have the same issue, earpiece i=volume is very low

• Yeah same problem here... Nokia 6.1. Started happening about 3 weeks ago... tried everything including a factory reset. volume is always very low... 

But... if you boot it into Safe mode the Volume is fine. this is clearly a bug that needs to be fixed. 

• Worst service and customer care.

I sent the phone for repair, they sent back without any repair. It still had the same problem.

Solution I did. Returned the phone after suffering loss for restocking the phone.
  • RobertJ RobertJ
     /  edited October 1

I am also facing issues - the cellular call voice is too low - facing difficulty while listening where other end can hear you properly. It should be software issue, please fix with October update. It works fine with Skype calls.

Please fix it as soon as possible since calling is basic functionality of mobile making it use my new Nokia 5 difficult.

• i have the same issue, we need to raise this issue/bug until nokia developers community fix this.

Prev1