Nokia 8 March Security Patch - When?

I have a Nokia 8 with 8.1 Oreo and the February Security Patch.

Nokia 8 March Security Patch - When?

piphil piphil
 /  edited May 5

I have a Nokia 8 with 8.1 Oreo and the February Security Patch. I'm still waiting on the March patch - which I'm keen to get ASAP, because it fixes the problem with internet connection tethering, which is proving a bit of a pain for me at the moment.

I'm on the 3 network in the UK. I've seen others on the forum say they've received the update, but I don't know in what territories they are resident.

I'm sure the February patch arrive in mid-February, but we're at the end of March now? Is there something I need to do to force the update?

Comments

• I would like to know this as well. I am on EE in the UK, still not update.

• mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭  / 

You'd be better off asking these https://twitter.com/Nokiamobile with this being a community forum no one knows really

• duncadelic duncadelic
     / 
    Yeah I'm wondering too, I'm on EE in the UK and only just got 8.1 this morning, finally finally! But it's still on the Feb patch, and as it's April on Sunday the March patch is very late indeed.
  • I doubt we'll get it until next month, Nokia have forgotten about the 8 since the sircco!
  • I too am waiting on the March security update. I think
    the issue could be with the file names.

Info taken from here: https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/security-updates

Nokia 8, version 00WW_4_84A, released on February 13,

Nokia 8, 00WW_4_84A_SP01, released on March 14, 2018

As you can see, both versions start with the same characters
    of 00WW_4_84A. If this is the only piece of data that is transmitted between
    the handset and HMD’s servers to check on updates, then each time it will
    respond (correctly) with the message of being up to date. This could explain why we have not received the update. 

• Didn't take Nokia and HMD long to break their promise of regular monthly updates, seems like their focus is only focused on sales .......
  • keith keith
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Noticed from NPU website that UK Nokia 5, 6 & 8 haven't had March security update in UK. Not impressed.
  • keith keith
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Asked twitter nokiamobile about March update. They just refer you to support if they even bother to reply . Support no help. They end up saying it will eventually come through. Will see how future updates go and if stays slow won't bother to buy Nokia Android phone again when I replace my Nokia 8.
  • snoutbaron snoutbaron
     / 
    This is most likely an issue with your mobile carrier. Depending on the carrier, Nokia submits the update to the carrier for authentication. It is then up to the carrier to push it out.

For example, in my country on my carrier the Nokia 8 already has the March security update.
  • My Nokia 8 Is Sim Free from Nokia, Still no March update
  • snoutbaron snoutbaron
     / 

That's really weird. What country? A lot of people having the issue in this thread seem to be from the UK. In South Africa the Nokia 8 already has the update.

• I'm in the UK, looks like Nokia has forgotten about us, this is why I wish they Unlocked their bootloader! At least then we can put a custom ROM on it! I always install custom on my old devices to keep them alive I hope they do this for the Nokia line as well!
  • keith keith
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Mine is sim free from UK. Know of people on EE, Three, Vodafone and o2 and all have no update. What's the point of buying sim free if still have to wait for carriers approval.
  • It's 100% not a carrier issue on Sim Free models it's Nokia releasing the updating in specific regions first, like I know some phones running 8.0 have the March update 
  • snoutbaron snoutbaron
     /  edited March 30
    Yeah, normally if updates are late it's due to carriers but since some of you have said you have carrier-free devices then I guess it's not that.

Very weird. The one thing in common here is that everyone is from the UK?
  • I'm O2 UK on 8.1, not had the update yet I'm carrier free. Dad's on a Sony 8.0 Tesco, he as march update a week ago.
  • [Singapore] Nokia 8 on Oreo 8.0 with March security patch. Waited 1.5 months still no Oreo 8.1...
  • I'm in Australia and still running Oreo 8 on a dual sim TA-1052 model.  My last security update was 1st February.  I sent an email to Nokia and am waiting for a reply. Hopefully they say all updates available soon.

• I too am waiting on the March security update. I think the issue could be with the file names.

Nokia 8, version 00WW_4_84A, released on February 13, 2018

Nokia 8, 00WW_4_84A_SP01, released on March 14, 2018

As you can see, both versions start with the same characters of 00WW_4_84A. If this is the only piece of data that is transmitted between the handset and HMD’s servers to check on updates, then each time it will respond (correctly) with the message of being up to date. This could explain as to why we have not received the update.

• mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭  / 

When you look at who is and who isn't getting the updates in terms of speed to actually receive it looks to me like the smaller markets get updated last. All the mobile phone makers have a massive love in with India we all know that but it is the biggest market so i am assuming this is why India, china etc. get updates first and markets with smaller populations are further down the list. Even mainland Europe seems to be treated as one and the UK as a separate market which presumably is because we aren't connected to the mainland (nowt to do with brexit). Population of Asia 4.4 billion, population of the UK is a piffling 65 million, the amount of HMD Nokias in the UK will be (relativity speaking) peanuts.

• snoutbaron snoutbaron
     /  edited March 30

I'm not sure about smaller markets getting it last. It wouldn't explain why we got the March security update so quickly in South Africa.

• mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭  / 

Last time i looked South Africa was still in Africa, market size 1.2'ish billion.

My speculation about market size being relative to update speed could be absolute garbage but given Nokias silence and sudden unwillingness to communicate i'll listen to any theory that's plausible.

• keith keith
    ✭✭✭  / 
    If Nokia isn't bothered about UK market then don't sell the phones there. They are supposed to be third top seller in UK. Carry on like this and they will go down. I won't invest in new phone that isn't cared for by the manufacturer.
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭  / 

Nokia was the third highest shipped brand not the 3rd highest sales in the UK in Q4 last year, for all we know the phones could all be still on the shelves. Anyway even if it was sales 3rd is a tiny share of the market after the first 2, Apple and Samsung make up 70% of the market, everyone else splits the remaining 30%. In reality i bet Nokia has only 5 or 6% of the UK mobile phone market.

• I have T1012, haven't got March update nor Oreo 8.1 (unlocked, on plusnet aka EE). Checked a few forums:
    - removed SIM, no luck
    - insert Czech SIM card, voila, March update downloaded but no 8.1
    - removed SIM, cleared Android system cache, used VPN to Finland, no luck.
    It seems I must be patient and wait.
  • keith keith
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 1
    Never got March update in March in UK. Nokia failure
  • piphil piphil
     /  edited April 1
    Yep, same here. Not impressed.

I thought the whole point of having a minimalist Android installation was that prompt patches weren't an issue? Someone has dropped the ball at Nokia.

It wouldn't be so bad if Nokia's implementation of Android 8.1 hadn't killed mobile tethering, which is a key feature for me...
  • Not got it. On O2. So much for the selling point of always upto date. Would be nice if HMD would at least reply to some of these posts. Sounds like I'm running a phone with that's could be hacked.
  • Just finished a webchat with Nokia Support. They suggested I return the phone as it is under warranty. Will wait to see if the April update arrives before I return it. 

• keith keith
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Yes I agree. It is the no response from HMD or Nokia support twitter or Facebook or on this forum I think is unforgivable. Good manners cost nothing. If there was a technical issue then they should come clean about it.