Camera Nokia 8

Does nokia 8's camera can't be improved further? Or is it in the limit of improvement? I expect some tech based answer...

Camera Nokia 8

kiranzzz512 kiranzzz512
✭✭  / 
Does nokia 8's camera can't be improved further? Or is it in the limit of improvement? I expect some tech based answer...
Tagged:

Comments

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    The cameras themselves are not actually top end specification (pixel size, aperture size), so there is a limit to how good the camera can be. However, there's no doubt that the software can be improved especially in low light, e.g. it's still not good add my old Lumia 925 or my wife's Motorola G3...!
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    As impressive as night sight is only a series of images all slapped together and you daren't breathe while it's doing its magic.
  • thelostswede thelostswede
    ✭✭  /  edited December 2018
    If you're on pie, it's quite easy to side load the camera soa from other Nokia phones and assis from there being no square profile, it has worked flawlessly for me after a reboot. Prior to rebooting, the video mode wasn't working correctly. This shows that thereth just making excuses not to update the camera app. It pretty much ads everything I want from the camera in terms of functionality, although the pro mode is obviously missing, but I'm not overly concerned about it, as the manual mode offers most of the same features.
  • Jivko Antonov Jivko Antonov
    ✭✭✭  / 
    The camera app from Nokia 7.1 also work very good for me.
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @kiranzzz512
    What more do you need and expect, technically, and in which situations are you not satisfied with the options and performance in the current app?

I liked the original out-of-the-box app better than the current version, it had more Zeiss legacy / personality and fewer 'bugs' but less options.
    It's beyond me why people want to experiment with multiple apps instead of taking the time to learn what makes a good picture, regardless of equipment.

Quoting an old master:
    Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst
    Constant new discoveries in chemistry and optics are widening considerably our field of action. It is up to us to apply them to our technique, to improve ourselves, but there is a whole group of fetishes which have developed on the subject of technique. Technique is important only insofar as you must master it in order to communicate what you see... The camera for us is a tool, not a pretty mechanical toy. In the precise functioning of the mechanical object perhaps there is an unconscious compensation for the anxieties and uncertainties of daily endeavor. In any case, people think far too much about techniques and not enough about seeing.
    — Henri Cartier-Bresson
    More info about him and his imaging philosophy:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Cartier-Bresson

Season's greetings,
    Hans
  • monchib monchib
    ✭✭  / 
    Hy
    Hope that will be possible stream a live stream to any decided website.
    MfG
    Marc
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭  / 
    HMD and the camera app can't know what picture and video you want.
    The best camera is the one you've got with you. Take lots of photos. Practice in manual mode. Keep only the best shots, discard the rest.
    A new camera app does not help if the issue is too little time to learn.
    I still need dumb luck for a really good shot after 50 years of practice.

Thanks HMD / nokiamobile and the community.
    Happy New Year to you all.

Shot on Nokia 8, edited in Kdenlive:

--
    Hans
    ✭✭✭  /  edited December 2018
    After reading this two reviews,

https://nokiapoweruser.com/nokia-6-1-plus-google-cam-vs-nokia-cam-latest-version-imaging-quality-comparison/

https://nokiapoweruser.com/nokia-7-1-google-camera-vs-nokia-camera-comparison/

I tooke the decision to download the Nokia camera app that both these phones use. 
    Nokia Camera 91.9.1133.80 This also is the latest version of Nokia camera in the play store.
    The good thing is that it works on Nokia 8. The focus is much faster, there isn't any refocus wen you touch the shutter button, the picture is less megabytes but maybe more details that the stock Nokia 8 camera app. This camera app use only the color sensor of Nokia 8, because Nokia 6.1 .Plus and 7.1 doesn't have BW sensor.
    There isn't also always "hunting focus" when taking video clips, like the stock camera app.

I did a comparison test between stock Nokia 8 camera app, GCam port and the camera app from Nokia 7.1/6.1 plus.

Can you guess wich photo is taken with wich camera app? Do you see the improvement?

First 3 photos are scene 1

Last 3 photos are scene 2

All photos are taken in complete darkness with flash.
  • marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    The file size difference is unbelievable! Staggering POS from HMD! Several times larger and many more times 💩tier!
    How can they allow such miserable software represent them on their (still) flagship?!
    ✭✭✭  /  edited December 2018
    marsic said:
    The file size difference is unbelievable! Staggering POS from HMD! Several times larger and many more times 💩tier!
    How can they allow such miserable software represent them on their (still) flagship?!
    The file size doesn't matter now. Because the photos were uploaded with Google Photos and deleted from the device by my mistake. And when you download them again in the phone the size is much much less.
    I'm asking about the quality, not the size. What do you think?
  • Can Nokia 8 get Night Mode and 2x Zooming?
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Night mode yes, if HMD want. Zoom is not possible.
  • marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited December 2018
    I'm asking about the quality, not the size. What do you think?

@Jivko Antonov Ok, here goes my guess (in the same order as the uploaded pictures):

- Nokia 8 stock camera
    - The newer HMD camera
    - Google mod camera
    - Nokia 8 stock camera
    - Google mod camera
    - The newer HMD camera

✭✭✭  / 
    The only mistake is the last 2 answers. 
    Change the position of the last 2.

Also on the picture with the bear, the new HMD camera represents very acuraacc the green color of the wall. The other 2 camera apps show very different colour.

Also, I think the new HMD camera captures more details.

• marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    How are the manual controls in the pro mode? Can it take longer exposure (longer than the 1/2 sec limit on our "flagship")?
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Actually it doesn't have exposure option.
  • marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited December 2018
    Nokia power user posted a list of apk for Google camera mods, for various Nokia "smart"phones.

I haven't tried it, don't want to risk my device unnecessarily, but there goes that. Proceed at your own risk.

✭✭✭  / 
    The version for Oreo is bad. Even the stock camera has more details.
  • Vicky max Vicky max
    ✭✭✭  / 
    marsic said:
    Nokia power user posted a list of apk for Google camera mods, for various Nokia "smart"phones.

I haven't tried it, don't want to risk my device unnecessarily, but there goes that. Proceed at your own risk.

Hey how you, I downgrade to Oreo successful. Thanks once again for guidance
  • Pazoli Pazoli
    ✭✭  / 
    Много яка камера

• Cabron Cabron
     / 
    If you're on pie, it's quite easy to side load the camera soa from other Nokia phones and assis from there being no square profile, it has worked flawlessly for me after a reboot. Prior to rebooting, the video mode wasn't working correctly. This shows that thereth just making excuses not to update the camera app. It pretty much ads everything I want from the camera in terms of functionality, although the pro mode is obviously missing, but I'm not overly concerned about it, as the manual mode offers most of the same features.

Did you change your settings? The icons on my camera is somehow on top of a smaller icon of itself 
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I'm also with the latest Nokia camera app from Nokia 7.1, 6.1plus...
    My Nokia is with Android 8.1, but the camera works very well. The only problem is that the flash has to be on auto or off, if you set it On, can't make any photos.
    This Nokia camera is the best for me, night photos with flash, daylight photos... Perfect.
    This means for me that HMD if want can make a better camera for Nokia 8, that will use both sensors on our phone and to make even better photos than this side loaded camera app. 
    Because now this camera use only the color sensor of Nokia 8.
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I found a solution how to use the flash always. Just set it On and go to manual mode. Perfect. Really this is now my best camera. 
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    I didn't look closely but I couldn't see much difference. The "new HMD camera app" you refer to is the one being used on the 6.1+and 7.1 with Android 8.1 right? Or Android 9?
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Look closely and you will see the difference.
    Soon I will upload some comparison photos.
    Yes the camera of 6.1+ and 7.1, and maybe 8.1. 
    It doesn't matter of the Android version, the camera app is the same used in 6.1+ and 7.1
  • RaveXII RaveXII
    ✭✭✭  / 
    This is a big disappointment I mean i bought Nokia 8 thinking it would have killer camera
    ✭✭✭  /  edited January 1
    Photos are in this order:
    1.GCam port camera
    2. New HMD camera
    3. Stock Android 8.1 camera

The picture with most accurate colors is the second.