Home Phones Nokia 8

Camera Nokia 8 - Page 2

(Quote) 
 I cannot judge color accuracy, but second one has more noise than the first one.

Camera Nokia 8

Comments

• naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Photos are in this order:
    1.GCam port camera
    2. New HMD camera
    3. Stock Android 8.1 camera

The picture with most accurate colors is the second.

I cannot judge color accuracy, but second one has more noise than the first one.
  • Jivko Antonov Jivko Antonov
    ✭✭✭  /  edited January 2019
    GCam port vs New HMD

First two photos: the dear is more detailed with the HMD camera, the color of the dear is real. The GCam photo is a bit brighter, but the dear is bluish and under the dear there isn't any details.

The second two photos: Here the problem of GCam is the same. Ureal colors, the white 8s very bluish. The HMD camera represents the real life colors. But it would be better if it's brighter.

The third two photos: GCam is again with cold colors. The bed of the dog is not that white and the details of the Christmas tree are much less. The HDM camera again represents the real life colors and for me it shows much more details.

The fourth two photos: For the clear winner is the HMD camera. The picture is brighter, more light in the open door, and maybe just a bit more details at the calendar. The only downside is the source of light, is overexposed.

In all photos is used flash and everything is in auto.

• marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited January 2019
    How is the focus on the photo camera? If you tap a specific focal point, will the camera refocus on the centre of the screen by itself after a few seconds?

Also, how is the chaotic (to put it mildly) focusing issue on the video camera? The footage from the new year's fireworks show has been ruined by continual and idiotic autofocusing on who knows what. The same happened for my child's kindergarten party, totally ruined the memories I wanted to capture. @HMD_Laura may have reasons to ban me one of these days, I'm enraged!
    ✭✭✭  / 
    marsic said:
    How is the focus on the photo camera? If you tap a specific focal point, will the camera refocus on the centre of the screen by itself after a few seconds?
    Yes, after 3 or 4 seconds. But the most important is that when you tap to focus on a specific point and then touch the shutter button, it takes the picture immediately and doesn't do a refocus again like the rubish stock camera app. It's way faster.

• naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @Jivko Antonov many thanks for the photos, gave us chance to make a clear comparison.
    I still did not change my argument, HMD camera caused more grain than GCam port, even on the fourth scene. 
    Maybe it  gets better if they improve HDR performance.

✭✭✭  / 
    I don't know what you mean more grain, more visible noise maybe, but this noise reduction algorithm is better for me. On the last photo look at the picture above the door. 
    On which photo do you read better what is written? 
    GCam always use more ISO, but they use algorithm to remove the noise that high ISO leads with itself, and as you can see for the first time even for me, Nokia camera app makes more detailed photos.
    Tell on which photo you see more details with GCam? And where?
    ✭✭✭  / 
    marsic said:

Also, how is the chaotic (to put it mildly) focusing issue on the video camera? The footage from the new year's fireworks show has been ruined by continual and idiotic autofocusing on who knows what. The same happened for my child's kindergarten party, totally ruined the memories I wanted to capture. @HMD_Laura may have reasons to ban me one of these days, I'm enraged!
    I know what you are talking about. I also really hate this "hunting focus". It ruined a lot of my videos.
    Here is a link to one video I did now for you. It's dark, because all in my house are sleeping, but I think the focus is faster and stable. What do you think?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/G7BvNX8P83YEoRao8
  • marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Here's a shorter video shot at the children's kindergarten party, tell me how I should feel.

• petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @Jivko Antonov thank you for comparing photos and video preview. I would be happy with the new HMD camera application. What is the version of the app?
  • petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    marsic said:
    Here's a shorter video shot at the children's kindergarten party, tell me how I should feel.

I also have this problem when I recorded a video where there are more people. Has a problem with focusing.
    ✭✭✭  / 
    petrus said:
    @Jivko Antonov thank you for comparing photos and video preview. I would be happy with the new HMD camera application. What is the version of the app?

• jdan jdan
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Hi Jivko. Can anyone download and install this camera app? Can you easily use both the stock app and the new one?
    ✭✭✭  / 
    No, you can't use both cameras, because it detect that this is new version amd update the old one. But you can unistal the update if you want.
    Go here and download it:
    https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/hmd-global/nokia-camera-new/

There are 3 bugs, but there is a solution for 2 of them. 
    1. In standard photo mode if you want to use flash always and set it "ON", the camera will never make a photo. If you want to force the use of flash you have to go in manual mode.
    In standard photo mode it has to be on Auto.

2. When it is very dark around you and you go to make a video the display becomes almost black you can't see anything. You have to go to the last taken photo and in 1-2 seconds to return and it works. Next to the shutter button is a circle of the last taken, just click on it and in few seconds return to camera. This is only needed when it's very dark around you. 

3. The last found from me bug bug is that you can't make a selfie with the front camera with flash. It always has to be set to off.
  • kiranzzz512 kiranzzz512
    ✭✭  / 
    And also i noticed another bug on the camera app... The focus comes back to the center of the frame after a few seconds... And sometimes slow mo screen looks so dark... Like it needs more light... The phone was so nice... Except the camera... I fell in love with the design, the one hand usability, steel colour, no copycat notch which makes us stand out from the crowd, i loved the phone so much... I wish if nokia could do a camera upgrade on the phone at a small cost... Or provide another module which attaches to the phone via usb or wirelessly that can provide a good camera experience... I wish if i could talk to nokia developers directly, because of some ideas pop up in my head and instead of talking here which goes unnoticed... I would really love to actively take part in Nokia's development...
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @kiranzzz512

About dark screen in slow mo read my post above yours.
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I don't know what you mean more grain, more visible noise maybe, but this noise reduction algorithm is better for me. On the last photo look at the picture above the door. 
    On which photo do you read better what is written? 
    GCam always use more ISO, but they use algorithm to remove the noise that high ISO leads with itself, and as you can see for the first time even for me, Nokia camera app makes more detailed photos.
    Tell on which photo you see more details with GCam? And where?

I agree.  Details vs. noise, you have to choose one.
    New camera app always kept crash on me. I will give another try if I upgrade to Pie again. 
    (For the moment, I prefer to stay on Oreo which is quite stable for me)

✭✭✭  / 
    It's strange that it crash. I'm with Oreo and don't have any problems. Except the bugs. I installed it on the phones of my friends they also don't have any problem.
    Try to clear the cash and restart the phone.
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    It's strange that it crash. I'm with Oreo and don't have any problems. Except the bugs. I installed it on the phones of my friends they also don't have any problem.

Installed again. Cleared app storage & all settings, then rebooted. 
    Same again. App keeps crashing.
    Maybe a factory reset solves it, but I do not intend and want to do it for HMD camera app.
    I will use GCam and wait for a proper release.
  • petrus petrus
    naufrago said:

Installed again. Cleared app storage & all settings, then rebooted. 
    Same again. App keeps crashing.
    Maybe a factory reset solves it, but I do not intend and want to do it for HMD camera app.
    I will use GCam and wait for a proper release.
    The new HMD camera is also falling for me. It's a pity.  :(
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Very strange. As I told you, it works almost perfectly on my Nokia 8 with Oreo and I installed it to the phones of 2 my friends and there it also works very good. 
    I really don't know why it crashes in your phones.
  • marsic marsic
    Probably the camera is crashing due to SD card installed, as I've mentioned in a few other posts I've had trouble with SD cards, which was solved after I've formatted in the phone (I've had to do it twice for success). Just remember to back up your files on it. Probably you'll need a reboot too. Hopefully you'll get rid of the issue.
    ✭✭✭  /  edited January 2019
    Yes, this is possible. I and my friends don't have SD cards.
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    marsic said:
    Probably the camera is crashing due to SD card installed, as I've mentioned in a few other posts I've had trouble with SD cards, which was solved after I've formatted in the phone (I've had to do it twice for success). Just remember to back up your files on it. Probably you'll need a reboot too. Hopefully you'll get rid of the issue.

Nay! I dumped SD Card long time ago after camera crash.
  • dray78 dray78
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Photos are in this order:
    1.GCam port camera
    2. New HMD camera
    3. Stock Android 8.1 camera

The picture with most accurate colors is the second.
    Where you get the new HMD camera? If i look in the Play store i can't find it. Maybe it depends on country / region? 
    ✭✭✭  / 
    No from Play store. Because this new camera is not intended for Nokia 8.
    Download it from the link below:
  • dray78 dray78
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Read it wrong  :D 
  • user1542372148155 user1542372148155
    ✭✭  /  edited January 2019
    I tried that camera about a week ago on Pie and after noticing video in low light is much darker than with stock Nokia 8 camera, I reverted back.
    For photos I use this cstark gcam port released on December 15th and primarily intended for LG normal angle cameras: https://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=31004 .
    I'm very satisfied with it and not planing on trying other apks anytime soon.

✭✭✭  / 
    I tried that camera about a week ago on Pie and after noticing video in low light is much darker than with stock Nokia 8 camera, I reverted back.
    For photos I use this cstark gcam port released on December 15th and primarily intended for LG normal angle cameras: https://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=31004 .
    I'm very satisfied with it and not planing on trying other apks anytime soon.

Common, please read what I write above your comment!
    This is one of the bugs when the video is dark. Just go to the last photo or video next to the shutter button and then go back. The video is now how it has to be.
    This camera is better than everything. 
    Even OZO audio is working.
  • user1542372148155 user1542372148155
    ✭✭  /  edited January 2019
    Common, please read what I write above your comment!
    This is one of the bugs when the video is dark. Just go to the last photo or video next to the shutter button and then go back. The video is now how it has to be.
    This camera is better than everything. 
    Even OZO audio is working.
    You were writing about "dark screen", I was writing about actual darker video footage. If we're talking about same thing, then OK. I'm still content to wait out for new camera app for Nokia 8 or maybe some other HMD apk with less bugs and better photos and video.
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Yes, we are talking about the same. When the screen is dark the video also will be dark, but if you do what I told you, then the screen and the recorded video will be OK