Camera Nokia 8

Comments

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
  • Thanks to both of you. I ll try them!
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    naufrago said:
    HMD stock camera's (or any other brand's) photos in dark environment with flash cannot be compared to Google's Night Sight. Night sight is app-based tech of Google and it's one of the most innovative software development of 2018. (As per xda)
    I hope HMD and Zeiss comes with something extraordinary to compete with others. (Not like dual-sight gimmick)
    Getting more light on would be a good start. Maybe they could use a bigger lens, or more cameras... Hang on a minute! :D 

As for flash range, I just wish they'd put a xenon flash on a modern smartphone.
  • Андрей Жданов Андрей Жданов
     /  edited January 2019
    Why the camera application used on pixel 3 makes pictures much better than the built-in camera application on the Nokia 8 smartphone? What is this optimization?
    Especially straining chaotic focus while shooting video and the absence of any fixation of focus while shooting the photo. The built-in camera's help is simply cast, otherwise you can not say. Noise boosters are simply inhuman, even free camera applications with Google Play take pictures better. I waited and hoped for the fact that in the update of Android 9 it is fixed but not .. The camera just built Google Lens, the quality was as low-balance and left. One camera on Lumia 1520 photographed much better than two on Nokia 8. Zeiss is dead.
  • Jivko Antonov Jivko Antonov
    ✭✭✭  /  edited January 2019
    A friend of mine has got Nokia 7.1 and after the update to Pie the camera version is again new.
    But I can't find this version in internet to check what's better.
    His phone actually works very well and he told me that there isn't any problems with battery or whatever.
    I really hope this month finally to receive a proper camera app for our Nokia 8 and offcourse Android 9.
  • Fredson85 Fredson85
    ✭✭  / 
    martin.fd said:
    I am currently (besides the standard Cam) using this one: https://f.celsoazevedo.com/file/gcamera/GCam_6.1.021_N7P_test2.1.apk and it works quite well on my Nokia 8 
    I am using this one: MGC_6.1.021_BSG_Arnova-based_v.1.2_TlnNeun.apk and did some adjustments in accordance with some post on reddit. This works pretty well for me in the field of low light photgraphy without using flash. I did not compare photos in bright conditions but I assume, that this isn't a problem.

So my settings for GCam are:
    Settings > Advanced > Base > Model
    - Back camera: Pixel 2
    - Front camera: Pixel 2

Settings > Advanced > Final JPG quality: 97%
    Settings > Advanced > Noise Reduction
    Back camera:
    - Activate: active
    - Noise model
    -- Activate: actvie
    -- Custom sensor noise offset a: 750 (default)
    -- Custom sensor noise offset b: 22500 (default)
    -- Custom sensor noise scale a; 2117875
    -- Custom sensor noise scale b: 113625
    - Denoise Parameters
    -- Activate: active
    -- Custom luma denoise at high ISO values (1): 1.1
    -- Custom luma denoise at average ISO values (2): 0.7
    -- Custom luma denoise at low ISO values (3): 0.1
    -- Custom chroma denoise at high ISO values (4): 5
    -- Custom chroma denoise at average ISO values (5): 10
    -- Custom chroma denoise at low ISO values:  5
    -- Custom denoise revert factor at high ISO values: 0.05
    -- Custom denoise revert factor at average ISO values: 0.05
    -- Custom denoise revert factor at low ISO values: 0.05

same for front cam.

Settings > Advanced > Libs: Stock by Google

Maybe this is usefull for others.

I made some shots for comparison:
    1. Stock Camera in Auto Mode
    2. Stock Camera in Pro Mode with ISO 800 and 1/2 s exposure time
    3. GCam in Auto Mode (Camera)

The first is obviously the worst shot, while beeing pretty sharp in lacks in brightness and saturation (a lot!).
    The second one is the best i could manage tho shoot in pro mode. It's not bad either, having some noise but also a lot of detail and most accurate at colors. Anyway, having exposure time set to 1/2 s you'll need some steady hand to avoid to much blur and therefore it is not so usefull for everyday's shot.
    For the GCam I think it did a pretty good job, having less noise than the others but beeing still very sharp. You can see the algorithms magic getting into trouble when you look closer at the cover of the vacuum cleaner (makita). But still, I can live with that.

Regards
    Fredson
  • Fredson85 Fredson85
    ✭✭  / 
    Hmm, for some reasons my photos are missing. Here's the links:
  • Please provide a link for the new HMD camera. I can't find it on the Danish store.
  • terminusaquo terminusaquo
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Please provide a link for the new HMD camera. I can't find it on the Danish store.
    It's not on the Store as HMD decided that Nokia 8 owners aren't worthy enough to have their camera app updated via the store!!?!
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    There are changes in the camera functionality in Nokia 8 since the Pie update. For example the notification beep is no longer recorded at the start of videos.
    It's the same camera app, fortunately, I don't need a half gigabyte of augmented reality stuff.

It's a disgrace for a vendor forum that this Nokia 8 camera thread has also turned into a discussion about pirated software from unofficial sources.
    --
    Hans
  • marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited January 2019
    @user389 I'm genuinely happy for you that the Nokia camera app is satisfactory for you. But for me (and most others, from what I could gather) their camera is a disgrace itself, more so towards the Nokia and Zeiss brands.

• petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @user389 I agree, the augmented reality in the camera is also useless to me.  

• user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Thanks @marsic ,
    My use is typically: start the Sports Tracker app, plug in a Bluetooth headset, start Google Music random playback from a ~16GB mp3 collection on SD, start walking, then take pictures and record videos when needed.
    HMD's camera app records videos without drop-outs in the tracking and no hiccups in music playback over Bluetooth, and there are no issues regarding sync of 3 email accounts and the other system stuff also running in the background at the same time.
    For me it's still impressive that the engineers managed to squeeze a camera with the same resolution as the Nokia N8 into less than half the physical size and get a better picture and a lot better video quality in the Nokia 8.

I wish HMD or Zeiss would publish a white-paper to explain what they (try to) do, and I refuse to publish my guesses, except that the EXIF data is not the whole truth. For example the exposure time in full auto can be much longer than 1/10 second, and there's interesting things going on regarding image stacking for noise reduction, fusion mode (both sensors), HDR etc. in full auto.
    - I suggest toggle HDR off and maybe flash on for quick snapshots and portraits if you don't like the result in full auto. Flash is notoriously 'buggy' in Android, sadly, and I don't think HMD resolved that yet.

HMD's camera app does not always produce the kind of picture I want at first attempt with everything at full auto, and I sometimes get more interesting results with pictures taken from the standard camera option in the Sports Tracker app.
    The current camera app has a manual (Pro) mode to play with if needed, so all in all it's no different than other cameras or camera-phones I've used.

For me the ideal camera app would have the same user interface as Nokia N8, with manual options for sports, night, landscape, fireworks etc., that works in both picture and video mode + a manual selection of the currently hidden hardware specific noise reduction, fusion mode etc.
    This is not what the updated camera app does (so far) in other newer Nokia phones, so I've decided to be happy with the current app instead.
    --
    Hans
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Dear @user389,

Thanks for the update on your camera experience. In case you are interested, there is more discussion here
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    @user389 Ah, some one else appreciates the N8 camera! I think we all did back in the day, it was awesome. Mine still is, except it got dust in it :(

I agree I find the flash on Android phones unsatisfactory, one of the reason I still think my N8 and Lumia 925 were better at low light shots. It's probably because the timing suffers from going through a virtual machine (although I would hope they could do synchronisation at the HAL). Windows phone didn't have a VM so couldn't have this problem and Symbian was an RTOS! Also the xenon flash helped, but we can't get that with an app update! :D 

I fully agree with you on the request for a white-paper like old Nokia used to do. I would love to know what your guesses are. Maybe it would encourage you to know that I publish all my guesses to be shot down by others?!

I would also like to see presets for sport, macro and night mode, I have no idea why HMD haven't included these. Thanks for the tip about HDR off and flash on for quick shots too :smiley:
  • user389 user389
    I promise to read all postings in your camera thread ... again ;-) - tomorrow.
    The first HMD camera app for Nokia 8 on Android 7 (IMO) had some artificial intelligence regarding road signs, text and other objects it recognized in the picture, and would apply retouching or effects to it in full auto mode.
    It usually does a good job to remove HDR artifacts in for example a waving flag, but can sometimes make awful HDR (or maybe noise reduction) mistakes with people moving around, even in bright sunlight. Force HDR off also resolves that.
    It will take some weeks and a few hundred pictures in different situations to figure out how the current version works after Pie, which is more relevant than what it used to do a year ago. I'll tag you if I write an unofficial, technical  review.
    --
    Hans
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    @user389 yes please tag me if you write up your thoughts! :smiley:
    The app on Android 7.1 did seem to be better in some cases, I don't know why they changed it so much for Android 8.

• Jivko Antonov Jivko Antonov
    ✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    The app on Android 7.1 did seem to be better in some cases, I don't know why they changed it so much for Android 8.

Do you now the number of the camera app on Android 7.1.1
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Do you now the number of the camera app on Android 7.1.1
    I don't know the version number but HMD's camera app is closely tied to the firmware. The old version is unlikely to work properly except in Android 7.1.1 - but please let us know how it goes, if you find it somewhere ;-)

The camera app was first updated due to popular demand since the launch of Nokia 8. The first discussion I participated in is:
    https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/comment/12715
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    You can find lots of older camera app versions here: https://www.apkmirror.com/uploads/?q=hmd-global

But I don't know which one is for the Nokia 8 on Android 7.1.

• Hi guys! I have some kind of bug on my 8 that prevents me editing what I have written in this forum. I constantly get the message below, or am asked which image I want to insert (writing this on my iPad mini).
    So I couldn’t finish explaining the Compass situation on my 8 after Pie upgrade.
    Star Walk 2 and Stellarium worked this morning, I thought, but both apps show E and W correctly but show N and S upside down. Viewranger map app and several Galileo apps are more or less accurate (within 5-10 degrees of magnetic N provided by a physical SILVA compass.
    I can’t find my original posting, so I wonder if one you would put this where it belongs...

• marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Two birds (comments on cameras) in one stone (screenshot).

I intuitively agree with the commenter at the bottom, even though I haven't used the "7.2" aka "8.1".

• Yesterday I tried to download all the available ported camera apk from every phone.the best with difference is the gcam after the xiaomi camera after the Asus and OnePlus. All these are based in gcam. And I wonder why Nokia cannot use the algorithm of the gcam in order to make a proper camera app!?xiaomi did and the app is great.the photos too are very good.why Nokia cannot?I think they spend too much time in New mid-range phones and somewhere they lost the quality.ok is good to take the software from Google and just implement it with the hardware. But Nokia should focus more in supporting its own models and not waiting from Google to fix the bugs from android.the thing with the camera is another one BIG ISSUE OF NOKIA PHONES AND IS ONE OF THE SPECS THAT THE MOST OF THE CUSTOMERS CARE!
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    user1526470024443 is Xiaomi are using Google's algorithms then they must have paid Google for them because the GCam algorithms are not available as open source.

@marsic, the 8.1 camera will produce better images than the 8 using only the colour camera. Definitely, end of story. Why? Because it has a bigger better sensor and bigger better lens.
    I am tired.
    (Probably soon to be re-tired)
    :lol:
  • marsic marsic
    @naufrago Noooooo!

You did not just use the dreaded "soon"!
    *Tormenting flashbacks*