Nokia 8 half display goes static

Its been more than a year since I bought this beast Nokia 8. Suddenly the left half of the screen became static with pixels all over it. The touch works fine.

Nokia 8 half display goes static

gslp456 gslp456
✭✭  / 
Its been more than a year since I bought this beast Nokia 8. Suddenly the left half of the screen became static with pixels all over it. The touch works fine. My device is out of warranty and the Nokia care guys say that it is display issue and have to replace the display for a whopping amount of 7000 INR. I do not want to spend it and have seen many complaints online and it seems the issue is not with display but with the underlying hardware. Did anybody fac the same? Any possible work around or solutions ?
Image result for nokia 8 half screen issue

Image result for nokia 8 half screen issue

Comments

• I got the exact problem with my Nokia 8, on the exact side, 3 weeks ago. Fortunately mine is still under warranty so I got it fixed for free. However, before taking my phone to Nokia care I asked a repair guy and he said that it could be a cable problem. The cable that connects the right screen side to the phone could be loose or broken.
  • gslp456 gslp456
    ✭✭  / 

Thanks for the info. What exactly did the Nokia guys do to fix this? Did they replace the cable or changed the entire display ?
    Unlike the good old Nokia days , the Nokia care now is outsourced to Flex , which does not have quality technicians to fix the problem !

• @gslp456
    It happened to me twice.
    First time I had to send it to Hungary through Nokia's support. It went static again within 5 weeks upon return.
    Second time the store I bought it from sent it to a repair centre in my own country.
    Both times display was changed. So far no issues anymore, no thanks to Nokia.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited December 2018
    If you're thinking about repairing it yourself unfortunately it's not easy to disassemble the 8, there's lots of glue involved. If you do try, please look at as many videos and instructions as you can. Good luck :smile:
  • AbuKhleif AbuKhleif
     /  edited April 1
    Happened to me as well. :neutral:
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @gslp456 and @AbuKhleif I have learn that this is either a mainboard or a display problem, but to find out you need to do this:
    1. Switch on the phone (confirm that it shows half display)
    2. Try to heat the device to 60°C for a few minutes (I imagine this is difficult to do at home!)
    3. If the display starts to work properly, change the mainboard.
    4. If this does not fix the problem then change the display.
    Note that I have not tried this myself.
    Good luck! :smiley:
  • I have the smae problem today. Very bad 
  • user1540973094983 user1540973094983
    ✭✭  / 
    I have the same problem very bad 
  • Arnau Galofré Arnau Galofré
    ✭✭  / 
    The same has happened to me today. It's clearly a bad hardware design/bad manufacturing and NOKIA should take care of this repair. I am discussing it with the customer service, if it does not go well it will obviously this will be the last nokia I my life.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    The same has happened to me today. It's clearly a bad hardware design/bad manufacturing and NOKIA should take care of this repair. I am discussing it with the customer service, if it does not go well it will obviously this will be the last nokia I my life.
    You wont get a repair, this has happened to many, many people and we all got a full refund due to no parts being available. There is a massive thread about it here https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/46869/and-then-suddenly-this-happened/p1

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @Arnau Galofré or you'll get a replacement 8.1 or 7.2 instead of a refund... it depends if you go straight to HMD via their customer support/repair service or go back to the place you actually bought it from. It probable also depends what the laws are in the country where you bought it.
    Is your phone still in warranty? If not then there is still a small chance that you can claim because I think this half-display fault is well known and could be considered as a hidden defect present at the date of manufacture, so it existed within the legal guarantee period so technically you should be able to get a repair or refund... but this is a legal technicality which I think is very difficult to argue in practice; it also depends on which country you bought the phone in.
    Good luck! Let us know how you get on.
    Cheers :)
  • potemkin_redux potemkin_redux
    ✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    I think this half-display fault is well known and could be considered as a hidden defect present at the date of manufacture
    @madbilly Nokia 8 was full of hidden defects, especially those related to display, battery, and microphones.
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 
    My, Nokia 8 is approaching 21 months.
    I wouldn't say it's full of defects, other than the clicky audio in videos, which seemed to correspond with the camera"pro" update march ISH 2018.
    Everything seems to be fine, battery seems as good as when I first bought it, averaging 7 hrs sot charging every other day. No screen problems.

The rest of the troubles were to do with the pie update which are mostly sorted now.
    Maybe mine is good example.
    Who knows

It'll break now that I have tempted fate...lol