Headphone socket jammed / broken

Anyone had this with their Nokia 8 where you can't fully push home the 3.5 headphone jack any more, so it never connects properly?

Headphone socket jammed / broken

Tim_M Tim_M
✭✭  / 
Anyone had this with their Nokia 8 where you can't fully push home the 3.5 headphone jack any more, so it never connects properly?

I've checked the socket and can't see anything stuck in there or anything unusual, but I just can't push the jack in fully. I've tried with a bit of force but don't want to overdo it.

It's out of warranty I think, though the phone has a number of chips in the edges from dropping it a number of times (too slippery! and where's the official case for the 8 Nokia?). Okay drops might not have helped but they were there before when the socket was okay.

Likewise I do have a mobile insurance with my bank account which I could try. Again they may refuse due to the chips in the case as this can indicate not taking care of it which they are specific about. The chips they won't fix as they exclude cosmetic damage anyway. Don't really want to be without the phone for months while they sort it out either.

Otherwise, solution may be Bluetooth or USB-C Audio. The latter I'm told can be better quality due to the compression Bluetooth gets. However I'm not sure what the Nokia 8 supports with USB-C. I know some phones pass through the audio, some require an adapter with a DAC in it (though this may be better quality than the built in DAC), but also it seems there are differing standards and it may be difficult finding an adapter that works. I've tried one from a friend and it just didn't see it at all, but not sure whether that was a passive one or with DAC.

I don't want to get headphones themselves, just something to plug in a 3.5 jack as I have perfectly good headphones plus want to hook into other a car socket.
Tagged:

Comments

• Tim_M Tim_M
    ✭✭  / 
    Follow up - right, ignore the jammed socket. Turns out fluff got well and truly jammed in there!  Had a go with a tooth pick and finally got it out. :D 

Oops. Oh well. It was so packed down it looked like the surface of the socket.

Anyway, skip the first part. The part on USB-C audio still stands though, as potentially it can deliver better quality than the built in 3.5 jack, depending on DAC.