Update problems

Hello everyone. I'm here, sadly, to report a problem getting updates on my Nokia 5 (2017).

Update problems

Hello everyone.

I'm here, sadly, to report a problem getting updates on my Nokia 5 (2017). Looking around the forums, I can see this isn't exclusive to me, nor is it anything new, but I'll try my luck anyway.

My phone used to work just fine, I got all the monthly updates and I was up to the November update. Last week, however, I had to send the phone in to the repair service due to problems with the display and, as usual, the repair service reset the software. Here's the problem: upon getting my phone back today, I noticed that the latest security patch it has is from April. Additionally, no updates are showing up, despite the fact that I had newer versions on the same phone before. I've tried removing my SIM, clearing data for the Carrier Services app, and even resetting my phone. Despite all of that, no updates are available.

I tried reaching out to the support chat using the Support app, but I was only told that the update would arrive eventually. From what I see in the forums, no one seems to have found a solution either. Is there anything else I can do?

Directing my attention at HMD directly, maybe you could make the updates available in a zip package as well, for those who might be unable to detect the OTA release? I'm not sure how much of a challenge this would be, but it would be tremendously helpful.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Comments

•  i'm facing the same issue, the following hint was sent to me from another user.

Unfortunately it won't work with my Phone...

Try this trick and see if it works. This is about the Google Framework Services, the one, I think, is responsible for the update dates.

The instruction:
    1. Go to settings
    2. Go to Apps & notifications
    3. Click See all (?) apps
    4. Click the button with the three vertical dots and select Show System.
    5. Find the Google Framework Services.
    6. Click Force Stop
    7. Click Clear data, then click yes.
    8. After this, restart your phone and see if a new update showed up.

• mike67480 said:

i'm facing the same issue, the following hint was sent to me from another user.

Unfortunately it won't work with my Phone...

Try this trick and see if it works. This is about the Google Framework Services, the one, I think, is responsible for the update dates.

The instruction:
    1. Go to settings
    2. Go to Apps & notifications
    3. Click See all (?) apps
    4. Click the button with the three vertical dots and select Show System.
    5. Find the Google Framework Services.
    6. Click Force Stop
    7. Click Clear data, then click yes.
    8. After this, restart your phone and see if a new update showed up.

Unfortunaely, it looks like I'm out of luck as well. Even clearing both the Carrier Services and Google Services Framework, all with the SIM card removed, I'm still not getting any updates.

What's sad about this is that it isn't new, and Nokia support seems to be completely oblivious to the problem. They just tell you to wait. There's clearly some targeting issue with updates that means people aren't getting them. A tool to install these updates manually would be a just fine solution.