Google Widevine L1 DRM certification missing in Pie on Nokia 8

What is the point of having an amazing 2K display on Nokia 8("Flagship") if we can't stream HD content on Netflix, Prime Video etc., like services.

Google Widevine L1 DRM certification missing in Pie on Nokia 8

rishi-kumar rishi-kumar
 /  edited December 2018

What is the point of having an amazing 2K display on Nokia 8("Flagship") if we can't stream HD content on Netflix, Prime Video etc., like services.
Please fix this HMD! 

Comments

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I don't seem to have any problems streaming HD content from Netflix :confused:

• What is the point of having an amazing 2K display on Nokia 8("Flagship") if we can't stream HD content on Netflix, Prime Video etc., like services.
    Please fix this HMD! 

Same here. I noticed it and mentioned it in these threads: 
    https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/9417/no-widevine-l1-support-in-nokia-8-sirocco
    https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/6466/widevine-l1-supported
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Interesting, I have it on 8.1

• terminusaquo terminusaquo
    ✭✭✭  / 
    naufrago said:
    Interesting, I have it on 8.1

I can confirm what you have here on my Nokia 8 with Android 8.1
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited December 2018
    Prime Video (just watched Suicide Squad up to and passed the point where the stream quality maxed out) and Netflix (just watched Doctor Strange up to and passed the point where the stream quality maxed out) stream HD just fine on my Nokia 8 so maybe it is a region thing.

(9.0 Beta but it has never not worked)

• naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @mrbelter can you check widevine security level using drm info from play store?
    Hi quality streaming is not possible on level3. I have no issues on 8.1 since security level is 1, but others have level 3.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    It says L3 but unless my vision has deteriorated immeasurably over the last week both Prime Video and Netflix are working fine and displaying content in HD. If you want to pay your airfare you are more then welcome to come for a cup of tea and see for yourself.

Has anyone even stopped for a minute and thought the app is reporting things wrong with the beta, after all everyone has been quick to rip the beta to bits over everything else wrong with planet earth.
  • mrbelter said:
    It says L3 but unless my vision has deteriorated immeasurably over the last week both Prime Video and Netflix are working fine and displaying content in HD. If you want to pay your airfare you are more then welcome to come for a cup of tea and see for yourself.

Has anyone even stopped for a minute and thought the app is reporting things wrong with the beta, after all everyone has been quick to rip the beta to bits over everything else wrong with planet earth.
    Do you have Nokia 8 TA - 1012 or TA - 1004. Because I am talking about TA - 1004
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    mrbelter said:

Do you have Nokia 8 TA - 1012 or TA - 1004. Because I am talking about TA - 1004
    TA-1012 and i am very sorry i crashed your party with a differing point of view to your own.

This place seem to be very much my opinion is the only one that matters and bollards to the rest of you, you're wrong and i am right. Egos rule the roost with discussion and advice coming down the line in second place, it is quite sad really.

It is very easy to see why a number of really good posters have left.
  • mrbelter said:
    mrbelter said:

TA-1012 and i am very sorry i crashed your party with a differing point of view to your own.

This place seem to be very much my opinion is the only one that matters and bollards to the rest of you, you're wrong and i am right. Egos rule the roost with discussion and advice coming down the line in second place, it is quite sad really.

It is very easy to see why a number of really good posters have left.
    Wow chill out dude, no one is accusing you of anything, I am just clarifying because I want to find whats the problem. Why so serious!?
  • rishi-kumar rishi-kumar
     /  edited December 2018

Please fix this HMD! 

@juho Sir please check out this issue.
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited December 2018
  • naufrago said:
    @rishi-kumar why are disagree with my my post? I'm only stating a fact with a proof , screnshot of my ta-1012.
    It appears ta-1004 is missing drm approval.
    I think you should behave. Your approach is mean. I am no longer posting to your discussions.
    Nope. I have the TA-1012 as well and I don't have widevine L1. It appears to be a problem with pie beta.
  • mrbelter said:

Try playing test patterns on Netflix because if it has widevine L3 it won't ever play over 540p.
  • New version of "DRM info" app supports Android 9 - does the Nokia 8 / Android 9 now report L1 Widevine DRM? 
    (I have not updated from Android 8.1.0 yet - still waiting for January 19 security patch) 
    ✭✭✭  /  edited January 2019
    Could this be a false reading in DRM Info? Could this be the content you're watching? Could this be the network you are connected to having a poor signal?

I ask these three questions as I don't see any difference between content played on 8.1 or 9.0 oh and I'm running the "final release" version of Pie.
  • DRM Info was updated Jan 14. to support Android Pie - has anyone checked if the previous report was false?

• Debanjan Chowdhury Debanjan Chowdhury
     /  edited January 2019
    schox said:
    DRM Info was updated Jan 14. to support Android Pie - has anyone checked if the previous report was false?

It still says security level L3. And it's accurate because I have seen both Amazon prime video and Netflix play upto 540p but on my pixel XL where it reports security level L1, I can watch Netflix @720p and Amazon prime video @1080p. Also a piece of advice. DO NOT update from android 8.1 to android 9 now because it will completely break your Nokia 8 and make it unusable. Your gps compass navigation will be broken which made me miss couple of into the spider verse screening, your phone will restart from time to time for no reason, fingerprint reader doesn't work some time, app selection doesn't work, hey Google or ok Google detection doesn't work, worse battery life and a lot more bugs. And the pie update doesn't even have most (almost all) of the pie features.
  • Could this be a false reading in DRM Info? Could this be the content you're watching? Could this be the network you are connected to having a poor signal?

I ask these three questions as I don't see any difference between content played on 8.1 or 9.0 oh and I'm running the "final release" version of Pie.
    AFAIK the final release version is the same thing as the beta version minus the feedback app. Also it's not false reading as I replied to schox earlier. Also it's not internet bandwidth because I have 100 Mbps up and down and a pretty good router which gives me full bar coverage in my whole room even in 5ghz mode. Basically the speed never drops below 90 Mbps. Do you have Netflix SD subscription that is why maybe you aren't noticing a difference?
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Could this be a false reading in DRM Info? Could this be the content you're watching? Could this be the network you are connected to having a poor signal?

AFAIK the final release version is the same thing as the beta version minus the feedback app. Also it's not false reading as I replied to schox earlier. Also it's not internet bandwidth because I have 100 Mbps up and down and a pretty good router which gives me full bar coverage in my whole room even in 5ghz mode. Basically the speed never drops below 90 Mbps. Do you have Netflix SD subscription that is why maybe you aren't noticing a difference?
    How much do you pay for Netflix, if you pay £5.99 a month then you don't get HD content anyway?
  • Could this be a false reading in DRM Info? Could this be the content you're watching? Could this be the network you are connected to having a poor signal?

How much do you pay for Netflix, if you pay £5.99 a month then you don't get HD content anyway?
    I pay for the ultra HD plan because I have a 4k TV.