No option to make SD card as internal storage - Page 2

Very uninformed comment seeing as all the new generation Nokias, including 7 and 8 have the same issue.

No option to make SD card as internal storage

Comments

• Gaz Gaz
     /  edited August 2018

Very uninformed comment seeing as all the new generation Nokias, including 7 and 8 have the same issue.

I guess Nokias are not the phones for playing big games or watching videos.

• maxh maxh
    ✭✭✭  /  edited August 2018

Go to Settings, System, About phone, Build-number. Tap 7 times on build-number. Activate Developer options.

Go back to System. Tap Developer options. Go to Allow Apps Force External storage. (Don't know the exact English sentence). Now you can eg. in the camera app choose SD Storage as setting.

It's hidden, but possible.

• Gaz Gaz
     / 

I haven't enabled developer options yet, but before I do, just want to clarify that you can already set the camera app, Play Music/Movies to use the SD card, as any other app that has this feature in its own internal settings (Moon+ Reader does too).

What is missing the feature where apps (usually large ones) that support it allow the OS to move some data off the internal storage and onto the SD card (a somewhat ancient feature as I've had Symbian 6 phones that could do this).

The phone's user guide suggests that this achievable by formatting the SD card with the 'Internal Storage' option, which is absent when you attempt to do this.

I'll enable Dev options to see how much of a difference it makes, worth doing anyway as the no sleep while charging is very handy when using the phone as a sat nav in the car :)

• maxh maxh
    ✭✭✭  / 

True however, it is often difficult to set up data and apps on a SD card. The system must take into account that something may be missing when the memory card is removed. In addition, free access to the memory card for all apps is a security and privacy risk. Therefore, with each new Android version, the rights for apps are more strictly enforced.

With a modern Android it is in principle not even possible to put apps on an SD card. Programs may only store their data, such as photos, books or card material, on them.

• Gaz Gaz
     /  edited August 2018

This is precisely the option that is missing, this should be possible even without formatting the SD card as internal storage.

There are other odd things I've noticed, I set the camera to use the SD card, and went and took some snaps, then connected the phone to by computer. The old DCIM folder in the internal storage shows up with nothing in it, and on the SD card it appears as a sort of useless placeholder file, so I can't copy photos this way, doesn't matter atm as there is google drive, but what If I'm traveling without roaming data?

Very odd, it as if the whole SD card functionality has been gimped, whether its an Oreo 8.1 thing or a Nokia thing, I don't know, but my last phone running Android 6 didn't have these issues.

Enabled Dev options and the allow force move option, and no difference.

On a more positive note, the camera is much better than I expected.

• Gaz Gaz
     / 

Its precisely this ability which is missing, you don't even need to format the SD card as internal storage to move some of the app data to CS card (games in particular do this for audio and video stuff, thats why they need extra permissions and download additional data when you first play them). This isn't there at all.

Additionally, having set the camera to use the SD card and taken a few pics to confirm that it works, these files are unacceptable when connecting the phone to a PC, they are however accessible from the Internal Storage's DCIM folder.

Its as if the SD card's functionality has been gimped somehow.

Enabled dev features and the force move option, no difference as the option to move some files is absent by default.

On a more positive note, this phone's camera is better than I expected. This phone is perfect except for the SD card oddities, which tbh are relatively minor, but still, its an odd decision especially as it affects all the new gen Nokia phones.

• maxh maxh
    ✭✭✭  / 

/Quote

Additionally, having set the camera to use the SD card and taken a few pics to confirm that it works, these files are unacceptable when connecting the phone to a PC, they are however accessible from the Internal Storage's DCIM folder.

Its as if the SD card's functionality has been gimped somehow.
    /Unquote
    Do you mean after removing the SD card from the phone and inserted in the PC, or accessed from the PC via USB?

• maxh maxh
    ✭✭✭  / 

Gimped? Do you mean after removing the SD card from the phone and insert into a PC or, accessed from PC via USB?

• Gaz Gaz
     / 

Apologies, I was a bit vague.

Yes, via USB, camera app by default stores photos in the DCIM folder on the phone's internal storage, which is fully accessible when browsing the Internal Storage part of your phone on your PC. Have since set the camera to use the SD card, its automatically created a DCIM folder there, but that folder only shows up as a placeholder file, you can't browse it. Other folders on the SD card are visible and browse-able.

Again, a minor issue with a 1001 workarounds, but its oddly inconsistent, and its a limitation on the SD card side of things.

• maxh maxh
    ✭✭✭  / 

Tried it. I can browse with Windows explorer the SD card. There are 2 folders, Android and DCIM. In DCIM there is a folder called Camera. In Camera are the pictures i made. I can copy, move, delete, open etc.

• Gaz Gaz
     / 

Hmm, Ok, so I renamed that folder to DCIMold, reset the camera app, re-set storage to SD card, took a photo and its fine. Camera app created a new DCIM folder, new photo is in the Camera folder, I can see it and browse it on the PC.

Copied the old photos from the DCIMold/Camera folder to the new Camera folder, and they are invisible to the PC. Bizarre.

No matter, unimportant pics, can delete all of them and start over, if they are all there in future and accessible, thats fine.

Using the 'Files' app to move stuff around seems to create weird issues. I use it to move the Camera folder from the old DCIM to the new one when I first made the switch in the camera app. it also did something similar with the Books folder for Moon+ reader, but fixed itself when I got the app to move thumbnails/user data to the SD card too.

Will test with other file explorers when I have time, but its not important at the moment.

• maxh maxh
    ✭✭✭  / 

Indeed there is some strange behavior sometime. Blame it on 'a new model, teething troubles '. Have a good weekend.

• akbrian akbrian
    ✭✭  /  edited August 2018

I can also confirm that enabling the developer option " Force allow apps on external", does not make the "format as internal storage" option become available.

FYI, other phones that I am familiar with where the "format as internal storage" option is available, the card is encrypted in the same manner as the internal storage. If the card is removed from the phone, the data on it will not be readable on another device.

• thecripplednewt thecripplednewt

It doesnt help that the phone takes almost 1/3rd of the space from the get-go, I really need it to have adoptable storage :s

•  You can increase internal storage on Android phone without root upto 1 TB by using this trick

Is your Android phone internal storage sufficient to handle the application data stored in it? After using Android phone for two or three months, you probably got the message – low internal storage. You face the problem because Android OS eating up half of the storage and the internal memory is on lower side. Most of the people searching on Google, how to increase internal storage on Android phone without root. Today i will show you tweak to increase internal memory on Android phone.

http://www.baatkar.com/2018/06/trick-increase-internal-storage-android-phone-no-root.html

• erikcoolen erikcoolen
     / 

Thanks user1530292042124. My comments:

I missed info about installing ADB for Mac: https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/

The post on 'baatkar.com' didn't mention some additional steps for Oreo: https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-format-microsd-cards-as-internal-storage#oreo

I'll try tonight and see how I get on, will let you know.

• erikcoolen erikcoolen
     / 

Hi Decyther.. thanks for your advise. I tried it out and I indeed get the error message "adoptable storage not available on device with native fbe". Was worth a try, though.. :)

• Yes i m facing shame problem as well . Anyone know to get rid of this . Nokia please fix this bug in new update
  • Ok brother . Have you know whats the procedure of how to save whatsapp data in sd card ????
  • d-mi d-mi
    ✭✭✭  /  edited July 2018
    There's no option to directly save the WhatsApp data to SDcard, you can use a gallery app to transfer photos to a sdcard folder and use file manager to move any other media files or documents manually.
  • user1532007762360 user1532007762360

this is because of andriod 8.1 ??? or nokia 6.1 does not have this option ?

• Photographs can be set in the Camera App to get saved directly to the microSD card. Go to the Settings > Data Storage
    Storing data on the SD card is not an issue of Nokia, it is a function of Android 8/Oreo. Program data can be stored on the microSD card, but data that is not written to or changed by Apps.
  • d-mi d-mi
    ✭✭✭  /  edited July 2018
    @user1532007762360
    That's because WhatsApp doesn't allow you to do so. If your only concern is with photos I will suggest you some simple solutions like copy the whole WhatsApp folder in the sdcard and in future copy the photos from the internal storage to sdcard as we only have the stock photos app to manage pictures there's not much options and you have to turn on sync to every folder(which has pictures in it) to showup in the photos section and that's kinda annoying so what you can do just download an app called "SIMPLE GALLERY". The app is highly customisable, you can checkout yourself and managing photos would be much easier, you can include or exclude folders from showing up in the gallery and the app is totally ad.
  • davestrange davestrange
    Just got this phone, hoping it was fully stock configured only to realise my 128GB A1 top range microsd cannot be used for Adoptable storage.

Around 20GB used out of the box, due to the way the Android Runtime works, Apps are huge. There needs to be a way to use a microsd for internal usage. I dont want to enable Dev settings just to transfers apps externally.

I just hope adoptable storage is enabled in the future of this device. I'm on a 2 year contract :(
  • HappyTraveller HappyTraveller
     /  edited September 2018
    Dave Strange only 16Gb is used on my phone with *heaps* of Apps installed -51% used. Cannot see me using much more than that. Until recently we managed on 16Gb, now have 32Gb. Google have stated they are not going back to storing Apps on the microSD card for security reasons. Reason why memory in phones has been increased by manufacturers. Some data and photographs can be stored on the microSD for the Apps in main memory. Enabling Developer settings doesn't allow you to move Apps to the microSD card.
    ✭✭  / 
    I fully understand now. I watched the latest Google I/O, I see they are trying to make apps a tad smaller in size in the upcoming Android P.

I am finally settled knowing this. Its just due to the A/B update system, theres alot less storage available to the user. As systema and systemb, boota, and bootb makes the backend ro partitions double in size.
  • user1527746486144 user1527746486144
     /  edited August 2018
    But if I knew this in advance, i would buy phone with bigger internal memory. Nokia says in documentation that you can move apps to sd/format sd as internal storage, which is not true.
  • @Ickebins: Its not working on Model TA-1089 (Made in India). If you are Germany, please check which model you get there and it may work on that model! There are several such discrimination by Nokia !!!!

• user1534537031945 user1534537031945
    From the AOSP site:

"Caution: On devices running Android 7.0-8.1, file-based encryption can't be used together with adoptable storage. On devices using FBE, new storage media (such as an SD card) must be used as traditional storage.

Devices running Android 9 and higher can use adoptable storage and FBE."

Fingers crossed that when 9 rolls out for the Nokia phones in the Android One program, that adoptable stroage becomes an option. (again, the ability to use both fbe and adoptable stroage only affects phones in the Android One program, why? I don't know)
    ✭✭  /  edited September 2018
    I see this could happen. The microsd is quite secure in its tray. Plus adoptable storage is a "optional core" feature.

A few years ago we all said 16gb was not enough, now we getting to that point with 32gb phones. So adoptable storage is one of those set and forget features.

64gb is standard :(

We will wait and see if Nokia enables this in the future.