Missing FM Radio

Hi, Nokia 3, 5, 6 has FM Radio . Then why is it excluded from Nokia 8. I know the Snapdragon chipset used by Nokia 8 supports that.

Missing FM Radio

Abhinav Abhinav
 /  edited October 20
Hi,

Nokia 3, 5, 6 has FM Radio .
Then why is it excluded from Nokia 8.
I know the Snapdragon chipset used by Nokia 8 supports that.

Then why is it not exposed.
It's a very essential thing.
Which is very useful in case of emergencies and time when data, mobile, cellular network cease to work.

Please bring FM radio in Nokia 8.

Thank you,
Abhinav.

Comments

• Abhinav Abhinav
     /  edited April 6
    4 days and yet no reply....
  • user1507566776079 user1507566776079
     /  edited May 24

I fully agree. NOKIA 8 has Snapdragon 835 which supports FM Radio. The devices in market with S835 DO have FM radio (Galaxy S8/S8+, LG V30 etc).

Why NOKIA has removed this from NOKIA 8? In US the vendors are pushed to enable FM radio because it is the only way of information during emergency cases (disasters, hurricanes, earthquakes etc). And this has succeeded. 

Why have you removed this from 8? Please at least inform us if it would be possible to be enabled in the future with a SW update OR you have permanently disabled (HW case) the function.

We are NOKIA fans for many years and we are supporting your comeback. But you also have to support us....

• Abhinav Abhinav
     /  edited November 2017

Thank you user1507566776079

i hope we get some reply soon...

/  edited April 6

I am not sure if HMD listens to customers but I do know that they have not still delivered 100% true old Nokia philosophy and spirit. 

There is a logic, which I hope it will not be true, which says that if price>300 euro then NO FM RADIO. I hope that they change their minds....

• Lapulga Lapulga
     /  edited March 4

I agree with both of you. I miss the FM radio in the Nokia 8. If the answer is that an >300€ can not have a FM Radio that is a big mistake because it was one of my key point to buy a Nokia.

Sure HMD will be find a solution soon.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 6

Wow! This is a surprise to me.

No FM radio? Next you'll tell me there's no glance screen...

;) I know, there's no glance screen. But I'm very very surprised there's no FM radio.

/  edited September 19

Actually Nokia 8 has glance screen support, but unfortunately no FM radio....

@HMD: make sure you include FM radio in your next flagship device.

• Anna - Moderator Anna - Moderator
    ✭✭✭  / 

Hi! 

You're right. While Nokia 3, Nokia 5 and Nokia 6 have FM Radio pre-installed, it has been left out of the Nokia 8 to preserve the purest Android experience. However, with a high-end device it is easy to download a radio app from the Play Store should you wish to do so. 

Your feedback is very valuable to us and we'll be sure to pass it on. 

Have a great weekend!

Anna (Moderator) 

/  edited August 9

Hello Anna. At last an HMD representative has provided an answer. 

Internet radio is not the same thing like FM Radio cause:

1. Requires big data plans to listen to radio stations

2. It kills the battery 4-5 times faster than FM radio.

So please do not propose the Internet Radio, via an app, as a solution. 

HMD has done a mistake here, removing the FM radio. This is clear and you should correct with a SW update since the capability is there in the chipset.

We are old Nokia customers and we are supporting this come back. But you need to be a real-old-new Nokia. 

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭  /  edited June 1

Yes Internet Radio is not really comparable to FM radio, e.g. when travelling on a train often the stream gets fragmented passing between cells. There is more choice on Internet Radio, but FM radio is a better service.

A software update may not be enough because FM radio in phones uses the headphones cable as an antenna. However, in the case of the Nokia 8 I hope it's possible to fix with a software update.

I'd like to see future Nokia phones include DAB (preferably DAB+ support), since this provides the audio quality of Internet Radio with almost the same service level as FM radio. I'm sure that DAB radio support can work alongside FM radio support, so both should be provided.

• Abhinav Abhinav
     /  edited October 18
    Hello Anna,
    As you've heard others, I'm of the same opinion.
    An Internet radio/streaming radio app cannot suffic for an actual Radio.
    Especially in situations of natural calamities or disaster, where data or cellular network fails.

It's very basic, but important necessity that MUST be there in our phone.
    it's not a "Nice to Have" but a "Must have" in a phone.

And I cannot simply understand how having an android with simple FM Radio app hampers or degrade PURE ANDROID EXPERIENCE?!?!

Can you please get back to us as when will a software/firmware upgrade introduce FM.

PS: 3 of my friends upon knowing that my Nokia 8 doesn't have FM app got cold feet and now having double thoughts about buying it.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭  /  edited August 9

Rightly said. There is not even a single reason to limit access to FM Radio. Dear HMD please enable it.

/  edited September 18

Hello Anna,

You wrote:

You're right. While Nokia 3, Nokia 5 and Nokia 6 have
    FM Radio pre-installed, it has been left out of the Nokia 8 to preserve
    the purest Android experience.

Answer: How FM radio ruins the purest Android experience? This is just an excuse, not a fact. LG V30 has FM radio and they are not ruining the pure Android experience! Galaxy S8 has FM radio on US (where model with Snapdragon 835 is sold). Again I do not read anywhere that Android experience is ruined.

Anna: However, with a high-end device it is
    easy to download a radio app from the Play Store should you wish to do
    so.

Answer: Radio App (data dependent) is something you can do in any device, not Nokia 8 only. But as already explained the advantages of local FM Radio functionality are not even comparable to data-dependent radio application.

And another thing, maybe the MOST important for HMD to consider. In USA the FCC (Federal Communications Commission - this a government body) and NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) are heavily pushing Apple to enable FM radio on their current devices and include it in any future ones. Reasons for pushing towards this are many with the most important being the fact that in emergency cases FM radio is probably the only way to inform citizens and SAVE LIVES. FCC and NAB actions have made all the other Android makers in US to enable FM radio (yes they did, just check Next's Radio page with compatible devices - list is huge:

http://nextradioapp.com/supported-devices/).

I do not want even to imagine the case where new or existing iPhones get FM radio and Nokia 8 or next phones to come have it disabled because someone decided that it will ruin the pure Android experience.....You really need to enable FM radio on Nokia 8 (and future devices also).

You will not loose sales because FM radio is there BUT because FM radio is NOT there!!

• Abhinav Abhinav
     /  edited August 9

Hello Anna,

Any update on this? When will we have OTA update with FM radio app in it?

• Gv2017 Gv2017
     /  edited May 24
    Please, enable FM radio.
  • user1508309853823 user1508309853823
     /  edited January 26
    Hello. Very happy to see that also other people raise their voice to HMD for this issue. Personally I spend 4 hours per day on the road by foot. I cannot imagine my everyday life without FM radio in my phone. And i am not the only one. I work at Nokia(telecom) and I have many colleagues in the office that have stepped back when they learned that fm radio is not in Nokia 8.
    This is ridiculous. Why to remove such simple and classic functionality? Data radio solution is just an excuse. If you think like this then also remove sms, since data message exchange solutions also exist.
    Please enable fm radio in Nokia 8. Do not ruin people's expectations.
     /  edited April 6

user1508309853823 I also have similar everyday schedule where walk by feet and using public transportation for more than 3 hours. FM radio is a key player for me.

@HMD: You can easily give an update with the FM radio feature. Please do not disappoint us.....Support us and we will support the NOKIA comeback ;-)

• Abhinav Abhinav
     / 
    Hello Anna,
    Can we please have an update on this please?
  • Abhinav Abhinav
     / 
    Hello Anna,
    Can we have an update on this please?
    When will we get OTA update with FM radio app?
     /  edited April 6

From what I have learned, from a source inside HMD, the NOKIA 8 lacks some hardware needed for FM radio functionality. So not possible at all....

I have already returned my device back and will get something else.

• sotosev sotosev
     /  edited April 6
    I want to by Nokia 8 but I am now holding back because of radio and olsow AMOLED screen missing.
  • user1509132634086 user1509132634086
     /  edited January 26

There is a significant demand for FM. I looked at the Nokia 8 and no FM radio means I will not purchase although would have loved to. I was speaking to a helpful assistant in Carphone Warehouse - most don't even know what FM radio is. (The number of times I have had to do a crash course on FM to puzzled looking twenty-somethings...) Anyway, this assistant said that quite a few people have asked for FM radio recently because fewer and fewer manufactures (or maybe the carriers) are not supporting it. So I want to pay £600-£700 for a phone with FM as I commute into London and data streaming will just not work. So the first highend phone with FM and I'll pay. Go on Nokia - do the right thing and raise yourself above the herd of other mobile manufacturers. 

• mobileCR mobileCR
    ✭✭  /  edited January 26
    All your comments are right in most cases..I fully agree with the idea to enable Family radio on Nokia 8 and possibly upcoming high end devices (Nokia 9) I see no reason why a phone for less than $50USD like Nokia 105 USD have FM radio but the $700,USD Nokia 8 don't. Apple in the US can be blamed and also could be forgiven for not including FM radio because Apple is not Nokia...Nokia was famous for having more useful features than many brands...former customers of Nokia as us are used to having FM radio in almost any Nokia phone...no reason for HMD to stop that legacy...pure Android is not excuse for leaving behind FM radio...FM radio is basic...no way possible to slow down a phone with Snapdragon 835...just imposible!

HMD stay true to Nokia legacy and enable FM radio in the whole range of phones, including Nokia 8 and the upcoming flagship phone that will fill the gaps left by Nokia 8
  • mobileCR mobileCR
    ✭✭  /  edited January 26
    And one more thing...it is true here in my country too that many people wanted Nokia 8 but after knowing it packed FM radio decided not to purchase that model. FM radio is almost everywhere and accessible for almost anyone...no data costs..no data interference...as internet radio bpvia streaming...and the most important thing is the roll FM has when natural disasters happen...it can save lives and keep informed people in a way internet can't
  • Abhinav Abhinav
     / 

Hi Anna,

Any update on this please?

• Anna - Moderator Anna - Moderator
    ✭✭✭  / 

Hi all! 

Thanks for all your feedback. Unfortunately native FM radio for Nokia 8 is currently not in the cards.

For those of you missing it, here's a nice list of FM radio apps compiled by Nokiapoweruser: 

https://nokiapoweruser.com/best-fm-radio-apps-nokia-8-miss-native-one/ 

Have a great day!
    Anna (Moderator) 

• user1509132634086 user1509132634086
     /  edited August 11

Ana

I'm really am very surprised you posted that about the native app. This thread is about real FM (i.e. no data involved) for all the reason so well expressed already. Of course, anyone of us could find these type of data streaming apps which just have 'FM' in the title. Can I (politely :) suggest you actually go back and engage with Nokia on this. Have they explicitly told you recently i.e. in the last couple of days that it is no possible? Some might say that unless you use this forum to collect together opinions, and then present them to Nokia, then I'm at a loss to understand why people should engage as it seems that that this playing to lip-service to customer engagement and not real peer to per consultation exercise. 

• Abhinav Abhinav
     /  edited August 11

Hi Anna,

Sad that you gave such a reply!

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭  / 

I suspect that it's a hardware limitation that cannot be overcome by a software update. Either the radio chip used is not capable or the FM radio connections haven't been wired in.

• mobileCR mobileCR
    ✭✭  /  edited January 26
    What the moderator, Ana, said is not the answer many of us want...we don't need fm radio apps which use streaming and data from internet...what we need is the Nokia 8 FM radio hardware enabled via software to be able to get FM radio signals for free as any other FM radio without streaming from the web. Assuming of course the Nokia 8 has internal hardware for FM reception, that's also something we need from at least the moderator to confirm... whether it is present or not built in inside the Nokia 8.

HMD started operations telling they would listen the customer as a priority....they said they are here to live up to the hype by delivering what Nokia users expect from the brand....these little things like avoiding FM radio (no internet streaming app) Inna high end phone like Nokia 8 is what makes people regret Nokia as an option for buying...no reason from HMD to avoid including such a basic feature....what are the teams at HMD and Nokia thinking...? Please get the customer what they want... that is why Nokia felt years ago.. forgot to listen to customers...HMD seems they have not understand the lesson