Missing FM Radio - Page 2

Sad to read FM radio will not be enabled... I wonder if the required wiring is present in the phones (so the decision may be reverted) or not.

Missing FM Radio

Comments

• Ale Ale
     /  edited April 2018

Sad to read FM radio will not be enabled...

I wonder if the required wiring is present in the phones (so the decision may be reverted) or not.

• user1509132634086 user1509132634086
     /  edited January 2018

Lost confidence with Nokia on this - great shame as I wanted to move back. Have decided to go for an LG G6 which has FM enabled as it is grey import - it has to be an import as the UK carriers don't enable the FM either. I really didn't want the import but just a highend phone with FM so had to think 'outside the box'. Apparently Mexico has passed a law that FM is mandatory as a safety measure.  This is all just a ploy by the carriers to make consumers eat up data. FM is free, cheap and very reliable. Shame Nokia didn't meet the grade. 

• Anh Tuyen Anh Tuyen
     /  edited April 2018

I guess that Nokia remove hardward for FM from Nokia 8!

If it is true then it is bad.

Nokia 8 is expensive mobile and it only run pure Android. When comparing the other Android about software, Nokia isn't worth with its price.

• I recently saw on this site of India, where a customer question "does nokia 8 has fm radio?" answered as " 

Yes, Nokia 8 does have a FM Radio."

https://www.onlymobiles.com/mobile/nokia-8/2237/steel

Can someone who bought this phone in India confirm credibility of this.

I assume its just a misinformation given on that site. I've already posted a question up there

• user1510434795660 user1510434795660
     /  edited January 2018
    Yes, please give us a fm radio in some next software update
  • user1511146005543 user1511146005543
     /  edited April 2018

Yes, I want to have FM radio in a top phone. Like a customer, I´m looking for a device that has FM radio. Nokia have to remember that they need us. FM radio is not a innecesary thing, it is vital in many ways. If the Company put FM radio, I will buy this device in short time, regards from México

• nilay rupala nilay rupala
     /  edited June 2018
    I have purchased nokia 8 just 2 weeks ago.. after purchasing i came to know that it doesnt have FM Radio. Really disappointed. FM Radio is necessary thing for me. After buying at this amount atleast i can expect necessary apps. Nokia please do not go like old way. Provide FM Radio in next update
  • guru guru
     /  edited April 2018
    Hi Anna,

Everyone knows that Nokia 8 hardware supports FM Radio and its a regressive step not to enable it considering that most of your customers came back to Nokia because of the reputation. And you guys need to listen and understand that. Please do remember that lifecycle of a new mobile is atmost 2 years, and soon people will switch out if the new Nokia isnt receptive.
  • Can someone that has updated to Oreo 8.0 inform if FM radio is included in the update for Nokia 8?

• Ale Ale
     / 

Anna, the moderator, has been pretty clear saying that no FM radio is coming to the Nokia 8.

I received the Oreo update on my Nokia 8 (TA-1004) and I can confirm no radio app has appeared.

Sorry. :(

• Hi, I'll be straight with you... I want a FM receiver activated in my Nokia 8!

Can you give us all a clear answer whether FM can or will be enabled or cannot be enabled due to HW reasons? Please!

Greetings from Prague!
  • user1515103483045 user1515103483045
     /  edited April 2018

Sadly the reply via this forum was a firm 'no'. As a result I felt very fustrasted with Nokia and have now given up with them for good and have now paid my £600 to another manufacturer. Shame

• user1515101982737 user1515101982737
     /  edited April 2018
    Well, I should have seen it before that FM is lacking... What a pitty 
  • guru guru
     /  edited April 2018

let's convey this feedback to the top person in Nokia. Maybe he will hear us. Twitter : @sarvikas

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited April 2018

I think there is no chance of getting FM radio on the Nokia 8 - I think the problem is that the hardware is not physically connected.

If you really want to make the point then I suggest using Twitter and seeing if you get get #FMRadio or similar trending to highlight the lack of this feature on the 8.

Note that the new Nokia 6 (2018) has FM radio, so I think that HMD are listening and I expect it will be enabled in future flagship phones.

• Ehab Ehab
    ✭✭  /  edited April 2018
    Sadly we are missing this feature which I think it is much more useful than internet radio
  • user1515073786942 user1515073786942
    ✭✭  /  edited April 2018
    And Oreo 8.1 disables Radio Apps that work with data download after 30 mind. So, not only is there no Real FM Radio but On-Line Radio Apps do work work properly either. Very Poor Performance for a supposed top end phone.....I wish I had bought a Samsung.......very very disappointed at Nokia/HMD for issuing software that cripples rather than enhances functionality of a top end phone. Android Nougat work superbly, why do they release a supposed software upgrade that cripples previously working features ? If you want to listen to radio programmes Nokia 8 on Oreo 8.1 is not viable.....
    Not recommended
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited April 2018

Unfortunately neither the Sirocco nor 7+ will have FM radio either - you can check the user guides on the Nokia Phones support pages now.

The 1, 6.1 (2018) and 8110 4G do have FM radio support, as it should be.

• user1507566776079 user1507566776079
     /  edited April 2018

At least the NOKIA 7+ should have FM radio....That is so bad HMD.....copying the bad habitats of your competitors will not make you number 1.......

• Günter Günter
     /  edited April 2018

It was the same story with MS Lumia 950. FM radio was disabled, but it was possible to activate it with the Interop Tools. I still use my Lumia 950, but I have to buy a new mobile in the next days. I was thinking of a Nokia 8, but without FM radio, that's not an option anymore.

• Ehab Ehab
    ✭✭  / 
    All brands are lying regarding FM radio they have the chip but they disable it and Samsung is an example of this. They are forced to enable FM radio on their flagship phones S8 & S8+. HMD please don't play dirty like others.
  • MobileCR MobileCR
    ✭✭✭  /  edited May 2018

HMD says it is market driven...but why why they have to disable FM radio (no internet streaming service required) even old high end nokia phones had FM radio...and now nokia 7 plus, nokia 8, nokia 8 sirocco do not have FM radio. That is very disappointing. Please HMD listen to us your customers...bring back high end phones with FM radio...you proved it can be done...you released nokia 6, nokia 5, nokia 2, nokia 1, and nokia 6.1 all of them have FM radio

• When are we getting inbuilt radio app for Nokia 8?

• guru guru
     / 
    Hey Laura,

Any update on enabling of the FM Radio on Nokia 8. There's technically no reason to disable it. Please help us understand why its disabled.
  • terminusaquo terminusaquo
    ✭✭✭  / 

How do you all know whether the Nokia 8 even has the FM radio antenna, the SD835 might have the necessary hardware built into it but without the antenna in the phone then that part of the SoC is useless?

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited May 2018

The antenna would be the headphones, that's why it can't work without headphones connected. However, the antenna connection from the chip needs to be connected to the headphones, and I suspect that this is either not present on the 8, 7+ and Sirocco or the chip itself doesn't support it.

I don't think it can be fixed with a software update.

• Ehab Ehab
    ✭✭  / 
    @Terminusaquo @madbilly
    Everybody knows what happened with Samsung flagships in US when government force them to activate FM radio. FM radio available in every smart phone but the companies don't want to activate them for reason nobody knows.
    ✭✭✭  / 

@Ehab It might be AVAILABLE in all smartphones, which I doubt, but if there is no connection to the headphones internally then enabling it won't make a difference as it can't be used because the FM signal won't reach the relevant hardware anyway.

• Ehab Ehab
    ✭✭  / 
    @Terminusaquo as I told you before Samsung claims (like Nokia) there is no FM radio but when they are forced they activate it. Who knows before that Samsung has connection with the headphones? Same happened with Nokia they are trying to make excuses to avoid activating the FM radio
    ✭✭✭  /  edited June 2018

@Ehab How do you know for sure that it IS connected internally?