Missing FM Radio - Page 3

Folks, The fact that the FM radio is not enabled in some devices, does not mean that this is a decision of the manufacturer only.

Missing FM Radio

Comments

• ritzar ritzar
    ✭✭  /  edited September 2018

Folks,

The fact that the FM radio is not enabled in some devices, does not mean that this is a decision of the manufacturer only.

Don't forget that when you produce something it has to meet the requirements of other participants in the market. 

People above stated that Samsung had to enable FM radio on their devices for the US market.. Well, Nokia 8 is not on sale in the US market. Many vendors, operators and markets have their own requirements and politics and a manufacturer will have to stand with them.

Haven't you ever considered the possibility that the operators may require the FM disabled on certain high-end phones (just an example)? 

And what about countries where you only have DAB? Shall customers whine there too?

Whenever I buy anything that is of importance to me, such as home, car, phone etc I get acquainted with its characteristics, features and capabilities. If I am Ok with them, then I acquire the goods. I am not in my right to buy a house without a garage and then require from the constructor to build one because others do have garages. 

There are countries where Dual SIM devices cannot be sold either imported. In other countries, Google services are non-existent on Android phones...

A market is not made solely by manufacturers and end users. There are authorities, operators, vendors etc. Everyone plays its part in a product's shape, features and price.

• Unknown
     /  edited June 2018

Hi everyone, 

I know some of you are missing the FM Radio desperately. Right now, I don’t have information on the FM Radio. I’ll see if I could get some info on that and will update you all when I can. 

@Ritzar I love the comparison between buying a house and a phone :D. But I totally agree with your post. There are a lot of factors influencing the final product.

Best regards, 

Laura

• Abhinav Abhinav
     /  edited June 2018

Thank you Laura,

Please get back to us with some info on this. Its there in lower models. 

Please introduce it in Nokia 8. It'll make it a complete phone.

• terminusaquo terminusaquo
    ✭✭✭  / 

Personally having an FM radio in a phone isn't essential as even when I had a phone with it in I never used it so it was just sat there unused.

• jimmyireland jimmyireland
    ✭✭✭  /  edited June 2018

I hear and understand why people have no radio in the Nokia 8 and now the 7 plus but going forward this is not really a selling point due to the fact we can stream radio for free with a multitude of apps that does not require huge data. Radio is for cheap throwaway phones up to mid tier but there is no need for one on high end devices going forward. 

• user1507566776079 user1507566776079
     /  edited June 2018
    To people saying that FM radio is not such a huge thing, I have one question: would you answer the same way if the device didn't have led flash by offering a better low light handling? Would you answer same way if your device had 1gb ram and the vendor said that this is enough as long as you use your phone only for calls? Do not consider your needs as the logical path. This is not the case. And using streaming apps for FM radio is not an option unless you have unlimited data plan. And even in that case the battery drains more quickly than with normal FM receiver. Also if you ever got into an emergency situation the FM radio can be the only way to hear back any news...So please do not try to sell the lack of FM radio as a pros!
    ✭✭✭  /  edited June 2018
    user1507566776079. You clearly don't understand markets. This is a flagship device intended for its market where are cheap devices have fm radio is for all markets including merging markets where Internet connectivity is an issue.
    ✭✭✭  / 

user1507566776079 That's a really poor comparison, name one current phone that lacks a flash? As for the 1GB RAM argument, ever hear of Android Go so yes 1GB is enough. For me and many others FM Radio is nothing more than a backup for DAB radio and how many times are you ACTUALLY in an emergency situation that means you need an FM Radio anyway? So, to use a phrase from your post, Do not consider your needs as the logical path. This is not the case.

Jim Ireland is correct, the Nokia 8 is a flagship devices in the markets it's intended for, if you need FM Radio there are cheaper devices that have that FM Radio for all markets including emerging ones where connectivity is poor.

/  edited June 2018
    Since when a flagship device is not allowed to have FM radio? This is a joke. Apple never brought FM radio on iPhones cause they wanted to sell songs through iTunes, although FM is not only about music but many other things. Then Samsung and some other vendors copied this logic without any reason behind. I just need a good reason on WHY NOT to have FM radio. Dont give reasons why having FM radio is optional. Cause I can also tell you, why you need selfie camera? Use the one in the back. There isn't any serious reason on WHY NOT to have FM radio in a flagship. The funny part will be to see apple bringing FM or dab in future iPhones. FYI there is a huge pressure towards apple to bring FM or dab from US government and other US organizations. And this is the reason why Galaxies S9/S9+ have FM radio in the US.
  • febi febi
    ✭✭  /  edited June 2018

Please add FM radio in Nokia 8, this is very much needed.

• mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited June 2018

Given this is constantly running i am guessing it is just the actual player that is missing rather than the FM radio being disabled.

• febi febi
    ✭✭  / 

Hi Laura, please provide the update

✭✭✭  /  edited June 2018

Guys there  is no radio so just use an app which of course is interent based gill in,this requires data, the nokia 3,5,and 6 has a radio as they are cheaper devices which are available prettty much globally and hitting pockets in the affordble range the Like I said already the Nokia 8 is a flaghsip and is intended for markets that have good internet connectivity in their selected regions where as the prior devices mentioned are in global markets and emerging markets where internet connectivity is limited or people have poor data plans.

Other solution is by one of the dumbphones/featurephones that have a radio and a torch to keep you all happy. People will never be happy regardless and need to understand what markets phones are intended for.

✭✭✭  / 

Since when a flagship device is not allowed to have FM radio? This is a joke. Apple never brought FM radio on iPhones cause they wanted to sell songs through iTunes, although FM is not only about music but many other things. Then Samsung and some other vendors copied this logic without any reason behind. I just need a good reason on WHY NOT to have FM radio. Dont give reasons why having FM radio is optional. Cause I can also tell you, why you need selfie camera? Use the one in the back. There isn't any serious reason on WHY NOT to have FM radio in a flagship. The funny part will be to see apple bringing FM or dab in future iPhones. FYI there is a huge pressure towards apple to bring FM or dab from US government and other US organizations. And this is the reason why Galaxies S9/S9+ have FM radio in the US. 

@user1507566776079 When did I say a flagship isn't allowed to have an FM radio, stop putting words in my mouth. One reason to NOT have an FM radio is that FM radio in most developed countries is now a fallback for DAB, here in the UK I don't know of anyone who still listens to FM radio over DAB. Even modern cars have DAB radio these days and I would say that a FFC is far more important than an FM radio due to video communications and Live Streaming. What Samsung do is up to them and what they chose to do in the US is of no concern to the rest of the world, the US doesn't even have widespread use of contactless payments so there is no reason to think that they have ditched FM radio either.

✭✭✭  / 

@user1507566776079 When did I ever say that a flagship device isn't allowed to have an FM radio, stop putting words in my mouth. One reason to NOT include an FM radio is that the majority of countries have moved to DAB radio with FM as a fallback so there is no point including it in phones over a certain price point as it's unlikely to be sold in countries where FM radio is still used extensively anyway. A FFC is far more important than FM radio as it's used for far more than selfies, video communications such as Skype make use of it as does Live Streaming, would you honestly flip your phone over to take a selfie, use Skype or Live Stream so you can't see what you're doing!!!

What Samsung and Apple choose to do is up to them and no one else, not only that but FM radio is ONLY in the Galaxy S9/S9+ in the US and Canada so that should tell you something about how important an FM radio is in a flagship device.

/  edited June 2018

@Terminusaquo The arguments you are using are not serious. The fact that DAB has started to be used in very few countries as the only technology of radio broadcasting is not a valid argument. If that was a valid case then no vendor would provide FM radio in many models. And moreover if that is teh case why FM is not in flagship devices, then UE vendors could add DAB receiver as LG has done in the past.

I believe that there is a specific push from operators not to have FM radio in order the users to use data for streaming FM stations. But if this is the case then the UE vendors should push back and not accept such a silly argument. In any case a specific segment of the Nokia customers are not happy and Nokia should do something about this.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited August 2018

I think we all understand that there are markets and different devices target different markets. Maybe HMD decided that the target market for the Nokia 8 wouldn't care if FM radio (or DAB) is missing so they didn't include the hardware connection in the PCB (I think) to reduce their costs a little. This is understandable.

However, it doesn't mean that those of us who want FM radio need to be happy with that decision! Now, the Nokia 8 was never advertised as having FM radio so we can't complain but we are perfectly entitle to request it, and I don't think it's reasonable to other members of this community to tell us our request is silly - if this community degenerates into a place where we each tell each other how rubbish our suggestions a requests are then it's not a community I want to be part of.

I've given up on the Nokia 8 getting FM radio support, but I truly hope that the next flagship from HMD includes it, because for me a flagship is all about features and including as many as possible.

In an analogy to the car industry, the Mercedes S-class it often cited as the most cutting edge car in terms of gadgets. Most people who own one probably have a chauffeur and the owner is working on their laptop and calling colleagues and clients. Note that even this car still has FM radio.

• Abhinav Abhinav
     /  edited August 2018

Agree with you @madbilly

Hi all,

please not make this personal.

All we request is a basic necessity of having an FM on such an amazing phone.

@Anna can we please have an update on this.

i have to buy a Bluetooth Headset with FM as of now 

/  edited August 2018

Samsung has now enabled FM radio on S9/S9+ in US for unlocked and locked (to carriers) devices.

Hear this HMD??????

https://mspoweruser.com/samsung-rolls-out-a-new-update-for-us-unlocked-galaxy-s9-adds-fm-radio/

Enable FM radio in 8 Scirocco and 7+

• user1533316907828 user1533316907828
     /  edited September 2018

hi folks, i have just bought the Nokia 8 to eventually replace my Nokia lumia 950(great phone) in the 950 the FM radio was switched off but the hardware was in the handset just had to use interlop tools and make a registry change and the radio turned on, I know this is on the windows mobile OS but what if there is a method of doing the same within the android OS?

anyway shame on nokia for telling customers to go and get an app which costs/uses data, a basic fm radio tuner should be included in this handset, can nokia staff confirm if the hardware is in the handset?

• user1534730776001 user1534730776001
     /  edited September 2018
    I am also facing the same issune in my nokia 7 plus. There also fm radio missing. Please nokia team release patch update for this or tell me how can i activate fm radio on my nokia 7 plus
  • AndreassLXXII AndreassLXXII
     /  edited September 2018

I
    needed one more good phone - I wanted to buy Nokia 8, but unfortunately I HAVE
    NO FM RADIO. I'm not interested in the fact that I can listen online. I can
    also listen to the radio through the "window" through the television,
    but I expected that Nokia 8, as a worthy successor of Nokia N8 on Symbiana, as
    a flagship has more, not less. I have one Nokia 8 (2017) but I can not buy a
    second one without FM radio, which is a pity ...

/  edited September 2018

It is amazing how much HMD ignores people voice, people who pay for buying HMD's phones....This is so sad....And the saddest of all is that HMD will release new phones and no one of these will have FM radio....Only up to series 6 will get FM radio as far as I know...7plus or 8 scirocco are such a wonderful devices BUT FM radio lack is show stopper for me.

• i know that feeling, i finally bought a cheap bluetooth, FM wireless headphones.

Im utterly sad. 

• ajit bagal ajit bagal
    ✭✭  / 
    @NokiaTeam enable the Fm radio support for Nokia 7 plus.
  • I have this application installed on my Nokia 8. What is it?
    "com.evenwell.fmradio.overlay.base.s600ww"
  • Ehab Ehab
    ✭✭  / 
    @user1528904014739 How this app installed on your mobile? Did you download it from internet? Is it working on your Nokia 8?
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

It is a system file.

• A little hope, a little light at the end of the tunnel?
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I doubt it, it has always been there and most people see the evenwell files as bloat because they aren't Android files and either disable or remove them to improve battery life.