Anti spam filter on flag-post?

Hi HMD team, I got this message when trying to inform you about someone posting inappropriately:

Anti spam filter on flag-post?

madbilly madbilly ✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭  / 
Hi HMD team,

I got this message when trying to inform you about someone posting inappropriately:

You have posted 1 times within 120 seconds. A spam block is now in effect on your account. You must wait at least 600 seconds before attempting to post again.
This message doesn't make sense, literally, it should be 2 times in 120 seconds, not 1 time.

Also, don't your want us to flag inappropriate posts? Why make this more difficult?

Thanks.

Comments

• naufrago naufrago ✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    A spam block is now in effect on your account. 
    Then your account canbe deleted "accidently"
    :)
  • user389 user389 ✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited December 2018
    @madbilly said:
    [ . . . ]
    You have posted 1 times within 120 seconds. A spam block is now in effect on your account. You must wait at least 600 seconds before attempting to post again.
    This message doesn't make sense, literally, it should be 2 times in 120 seconds, not 1 time.
    [ . . . ]
    - And it won't affect the current spammer who is running a slow spew from multiple accounts. There's probably multiple, unused accounts already configured and approved, to be used for further attacks during the holidays.

Fake Facebook and Google accounts are for rent and for sale in bundles.
    Currently tel6358xx and other 3-letter+6-digit screen name combinations are used, but other patterns of user names should be marked as suspicious.

Moderators should not have to do this manually, the task of fighting vandals must be automated. There's plenty of work to do moving real but misplaced postings into proper categories.

--
    Hans
  • wilson shrestha wilson shrestha ✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Now this is not the Nokia Community Forum , this is the Spam City. 😂
  • todesurteil todesurteil ✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Well spam filters don't work as we can see we are being overrun by spambots.
    You will need mods to do it manually. 

All I can advise send Mr. Juho Sarvikas a pm ask that a mod or admin delete this mess as we are being overrun by spambots. At this stage I can't find comments anymore.
    ✭✭✭  / 
    The last spam I found was on page 18 of the forum. Thus almost 18 pages of spam on this forum. Would gladly remove it all if I had mod access. 
  • singhnsk singhnsk ✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    That's weird. They should be adding the anti-spam limits on normal posts and not for votes and spam reports. I guess there is a reason why the community is still under Beta.
  • naufrago naufrago ✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Mods should manually remove all spammer accounts named vfyxxx and telxxx, then do not allow to register new users until end of seasons holiday. Otherwise forum will be drowned in spam posts.
  • singhnsk singhnsk ✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    naufrago said:
    Mods should manually remove all spammer accounts named vfyxxx and telxxx, then do not allow to register new users until end of seasons holiday. Otherwise forum will be drowned in spam posts.
    Agree on the removing account part. But I also think that it can only be done by the super admin or the database manager because bulk removing accounts should not be a part of a moderator's powers.
    Then, stopping users from registering would be wrong. Maybe that's a temporary solution if the Nokia team wants to enjoy their holidays without making any changes to the forum.
    It would be better if they implement reCaptcha or a math problem at signup. Then the same can be added while creating new posts or else something more natural to the users like Akismet to stop the users from spamming on the forums. Akismet can easily determine obvious spam and would prevent it from getting submitted. Posts marked as spam can be moved to a queue for approval by a human.
    ✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    Agree on the removing account part. But I also think that it can only be done by the super admin or the database manager because bulk removing accounts should not be a part of a moderator's powers.
    Then, stopping users from registering would be wrong. Maybe that's a temporary solution if the Nokia team wants to enjoy their holidays without making any changes to the forum.
    It would be better if they implement reCaptcha or a math problem at signup. Then the same can be added while creating new posts or else something more natural to the users like Akismet to stop the users from spamming on the forums. Akismet can easily determine obvious spam and would prevent it from getting submitted. Posts marked as spam can be moved to a queue for approval by a human.
    I haven't seen a super mod, or super admin as you call them, I've only seen Admins and Mods. Thus I think Mods have the same access as super mods from other forums I guess, not sure. Else it will only be a Admin that can remove members/accounts. If Nokia is open, which I doubt, they will have skeleton staff and I doubt a web developer will be at the office to add a captcha add-on for registrations on the registration page. If they add it it might only be next year when everyone is back from holiday. And not to mention captcha doesn't work, and you can bypass it, just google and you will see. Like I stated supra and on another thread, sending posts to a queue for spam doesn't work, it will cause more complaints, for example madbilly's complaint in this thread, just copied one of these chinese spam bot posts and my post was flagged and queued and I couldn't write what I wanted. But anyway it's Nokia's forum can only give my advise.
  • naufrago naufrago ✭✭✭✭
    Spams can be minimized by user ranks. If new users are not allowed to start new discussion, spammers will have to go deep inside the discussions to post.
    Only level2 users could be allowed to commence new discussion, new users can only participate in existing discussions. By doing so will also reduce number of similar threads. As all know, most of the identical discussions are from newbies, they usually do not search.
  • madbilly madbilly ✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I received this message when flagging a post as "report", not as spam, so not exactly what you've also been talking about but I agree with most of what you've all written. I agree that mods, especially any community volunteers, should not be able to delete any user accounts. Laura told me there working on a reputation system to limit what new users can do but it's not ready to use yet.

The posts I was reporting we're definitely written by real people, not bots. The posts are insulting, offensive and used vulgar language intended to evade the swear filter. I have quite a low tolerance for insults and foul language so it's good that I'm not a mod myself :D
    ✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    I received this message when flagging a post as "report", not as spam, so not exactly what you've also been talking about but I agree with most of what you've all written. I agree that mods, especially any community volunteers, should not be able to delete any user accounts. Laura told me there working on a reputation system to limit what new users can do but it's not ready to use yet.

The posts I was reporting we're definitely written by real people, not bots. The posts are insulting, offensive and used vulgar language intended to evade the swear filter. I have quite a low tolerance for insults and foul language so it's good that I'm not a mod myself :D
    @madbilly Sounds like you wanted to report my post  :o :D  

• singhnsk singhnsk ✭✭✭✭
    naufrago said:
    Spams can be minimized by user ranks. If new users are not allowed to start new discussion, spammers will have to go deep inside the discussions to post.
    Only level2 users could be allowed to commence new discussion, new users can only participate in existing discussions. By doing so will also reduce number of similar threads. As all know, most of the identical discussions are from newbies, they usually do not search.
    Oh.. From that I realized that we don't have any search functionality on the forums.Or am I too blind to find that? 😁
    Also, alternate forums would usually present the user with other similar discussions after he/she enters the title. So, maybe That will help reduce the number of "Where is Pie update" discussions :smiley: 
    Edit: Sounds like I'm really blind. I found it on the homepage. Probably that's a good place to have a new user search before he posts it. But I'm one of those who want a persistent search bar, on all the pages of a website. Still, my bad 😂
  • user1542692860701 user1542692860701 ✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Yeah thats ridiculous every subforum have Chinese spam about university seriously..
    Cmon why there's no anti spam?
    This is the big phone brand forum
    ✭✭✭  / 
    That's why I said in another thread a few weeks ago, filters don't work, it only causes innocent forum members like yourself @madbilly to get filtered and blocked. And will just cause animosity and frustration if they use filters on the forum as the members who shouldn't be filtered will be punished the most, well that's my experience with filters on a forum. 

For example this forum clearly has a spambot problem and a few times I've seen it in the past few weeks I've logged in. The only way is for mods to remove the posts manually and permanently ban and/or remove the bots. Also have a system in place of having registrations be approved by Admins/Mods. At registration you can basically remove 80% or more of spambots before they can post gibberish. I tried to prove that with one of my posts a few weeks ago, basically testing it, swearing and only 1 word was picked up and filtered of what I think it was 5 or more. Don't even think it was flagged by the system, don't know heard nothing from staff. 
    Clearly it doesn't stop the spambots and don't stop the swearing you can bypass it easily. 

Here's a example of one I just found on the forum and this is what was posted using google translate from a bot called gUJHESH: "精仿英国埃塞克斯大学,证成绩单“SMU毕业,证文凭”(Q /微199959876)英国埃塞克斯大学文凭证书原版↑制作,圣玛丽大学使馆认证" 

Google translate: 
    "Simplified imitation of the University of Essex, the certificate of transcript "SMU graduation, certificate diploma" (Q / micro 199959876) British Essex University diploma certificate original ↑ production, St. Mary's University Embassy certification" 

Source Thread (Link): https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/33183/精仿英国埃塞克斯大学-证成绩单-smu毕业-证文凭-q-微199959876-英国埃塞克斯大学文凭证书原版-制作-圣玛丽大学使馆认证#latest

Another one from pktptngt:

Source: https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/33182/%E7%B2%BE%E4%BB%BF%E4%BB%A3%E5%B0%94%E5%A4%AB%E7%89%B9%E7%90%86%E5%B7%A5%E5%A4%A7%E5%AD%A6%E6%AF%95%E4%B8%9A-%E8%AF%81%E6%88%90%E7%BB%A9%E5%8D%95-tud%E6%AF%95%E4%B8%9A-%E8%AF%81%E6%96%87%E5%87%AD-q-%E5%BE%AE%EF%BC%91954292140-%E4%BB%A3%E5%B0%94%E5%A4%AB%E7%89%B9%E7%90%86%E5%B7%A5%E5%A4%A7%E5%AD%A6%E6%96%87%E5%87%AD%E8%AF%81%E4%B9%A6%E5%8E%9F%E7%89%88-%E5%88%B6%E4%BD%9C-%E4%BB%A3%E5%B0%94%E5%A4%AB%E7%89%B9%E7%90%86%E5%B7%A5%E5%A4%A7%E5%AD%A6%E4%BD%BF%E9%A6%86%E8%AE%A4%E8%AF%81#latest

精仿代尔夫特理工大学毕业,证成绩单《TUD毕业,证文凭》(Q /微1954292140)代尔夫特理工大学文凭证书原版↑制作,代尔夫特理工大学使馆认证

Fine imitation of Delft University of Technology, certificate of transcript "TUD graduation, certificate diploma" (Q / micro 1954292140) Delft University of Technology Diploma certificate original ↑ production, Delft University of Technology Embassy certification

✭✭✭  / 
    That's why I said in another thread a few weeks ago, filters don't work, it only causes innocent forum members like yourself @madbilly to get filtered and blocked. And will just cause animosity and frustration if they use filters on the forum as the members who shouldn't be filtered will be punished the most, well that's my experience with filters on a forum. 

For example this forum clearly has a spambot problem and a few times I've seen it in the past few weeks I've logged in. The only way is for mods to remove the posts manually and permanently ban and/or remove the bots. Also have a system in place of having registrations be approved by Admins/Mods. At registration you can basically remove 80% or more of spambots before they can post gibberish. I tried to prove that with one of my posts a few weeks ago, basically testing it, swearing and only 1 word was picked up and filtered of what I think it was 5 or more. Don't even think it was flagged by the system, don't know heard nothing from staff. 
    Clearly it doesn't stop the spambots and don't stop the swearing you can bypass it easily. 

Here's a example of one I just found on the forum and this is what was posted using google translate from a bot called gUJHESH: "精仿英国埃塞克斯大学,证成绩单“SMU毕业,证文凭”(Q /微199959876)英国埃塞克斯大学文凭证书原版↑制作,圣玛丽大学使馆认证" 

Google translate: 
    "Simplified imitation of the University of Essex, the certificate of transcript "SMU graduation, certificate diploma" (Q / micro 199959876) British Essex University diploma certificate original ↑ production, St. Mary's University Embassy certification" 

Source Thread (Link): https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/33183/精仿英国埃塞克斯大学-证成绩单-smu毕业-证文凭-q-微199959876-英国埃塞克斯大学文凭证书原版-制作-圣玛丽大学使馆认证#latest

Another one from pktptngt:

Source: 

精仿代尔夫特理工大学毕业,证成绩单《TUD毕业,证文凭》(Q /微1954292140)代尔夫特理工大学文凭证书原版↑制作,代尔夫特理工大学使馆认证

Fine imitation of Delft University of Technology, certificate of transcript "TUD graduation, certificate diploma" (Q / micro 1954292140) Delft University of Technology Diploma certificate original ↑ production, Delft University of Technology Embassy certification

✭✭✭  / 
    That's why I said in another thread a few weeks ago, filters don't work, it only causes innocent forum members like yourself @madbilly to get filtered and blocked. And will just cause animosity and frustration if they use filters on the forum as the members who shouldn't be filtered will be punished the most, well that's my experience with filters on a forum. For example this forum clearly has a spambot problem and a few times I've seen it in the past few weeks I've logged in. The only way is for mods to remove the posts manually and permanently ban and/or remove the bots. Also have a system in place of having registrations be approved by Admins/Mods. At registration you can basically remove 80% or more of spambots before they can post gibberish. I tried to prove that with one of my posts a few weeks ago, basically testing it, swearing and only 1 word was picked up and filtered of what I think it was 5 or more. Don't even think it was flagged by the system, don't know heard nothing from staff. Clearly it doesn't stop the spambots and don't stop the swearing you can bypass it easily. Here's a example of one I just found on the forum and this is what was posted using google translate from a bot called gUJHESH: "精仿英国埃塞克斯大学,证成绩单“SMU毕业,证文凭”(Q /微199959876)英国埃塞克斯大学文凭证书原版↑制作,圣玛丽大学使馆认证" Google translate: "Simplified imitation of the University of Essex, the certificate of transcript "SMU graduation, certificate diploma" (Q / micro 199959876) British Essex University diploma certificate original ↑ production, St. Mary's University Embassy certification" Source Thread (Link): https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/33183/精仿英国埃塞克斯大学-证成绩单-smu毕业-证文凭-q-微199959876-英国埃塞克斯大学文凭证书原版-制作-圣玛丽大学使馆认证#latest
  • user389 user389 ✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    If there isn't a plugin for Vanilla that can handle regex ... on postings then somebody has to create one.
    You cannot seriously suggest have moderators nurse the forum manually 24/7 and holidays?

Good luck trying to reach mr. Sarvikas before 1019.

Cheers {hic},
    Hans
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @user389
    That's the only viable option I can think of, don't need mods 24/7 but every few hours checking in and cleaning up will be fine. Worked for us on our forums in the past. 
  • bluetoothsk bluetoothsk ✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭  / 
    People should be allowed to post only if they have a verified email/ph. number linked to the account.. Or IMEI number of a nokia phone
  • user389 user389 ✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    It's abuse and in this case a denial of service attack.
    It's a job for the forum owner and the police, or a nerd in the basement.
    Moderators have more interesting things to do regarding misplaced postings, identical repeated postings, negativity, foul language, personal attacks etc.

Vanilla oversold what their forum software does out of the box, but that's another story for the forum owner to resolve.

--
    Hans