Compass not working since Pie - Page 12

(Quote) 
That's like saying don't worry ladies and gentlemen, the engines have stopped but this plane is still working.

Compass not working since Pie

Comments

• Jimmmy Jimmmy
     / 
    I do not understand, how your compass can point east and west correctly, if the north and south are reversed. For me, compass is reversed in all directions. Btw, if I have a phone on my desk, the world sides are correct. As soon as I lift it to the vertical position in the hand, the compass is completely reversed.
  • user1508938037450 user1508938037450
    ✭✭✭  / 
    It is my last comment here. Sorry, we are ON PAGE 12!!!
    Yes,the compass doesn't work since "Pie". And, yes, I believe, that HMD knows it. BUT, this was it. AND NOW??? We can write here to page 24, it will be the same.

I see no results. 😭😒
  • It's big problem whenever you want pedestrian navigation in unknown town while using HERE maps. Need to fix this s*it asap. 
  • Jimmmy Jimmmy
     / 
    Most important for Nokia is making new phones, not fixing bugs on existing models. I wish I knew it before I bought Nokia 8.
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 

Well, actually compass is working but the main issue is that North and South are inverted!

Not on my phone.
    Ok...fair enough it is inverted whilst the phone is vertical.

But hold the phone horizontal and the direction pointed is totally random.

Some times spins and stops just like it belongs to captain Jack sparrow.
  • martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Made for each other ... o:)

• Hugh Matthews Hugh Matthews
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Jimmmy said:
    I do not understand, how your compass can point east and west correctly, if the north and south are reversed. For me, compass is reversed in all directions. 
    The stargazing apps don't show a compass, they rotate the night sky. When I point the phone to the East and West the correct part of the sky is shown, turning the phone to due North, the sky image flips to the South.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Jimmmy said:
    I do not understand, how your compass can point east and west correctly, if the north and south are reversed. For me, compass is reversed in all directions. 
    The stargazing apps don't show a compass, they rotate the night sky. When I point the phone to the East and West the correct part of the sky is shown, turning the phone to due North, the sky image flips to the South.
    You should try the Night AR in PhotoPills ,it no longer has a clue where to point, the milky way is flying about all over the place.

£10 PhotoPills cost me and thanks to the lack of a fix it has been absolutely useless for 4 months.
  • Jugurtha Jugurtha
    ✭✭  / 
    The support said that they're workong to resolve it on the next update
  • Aleksei Shramko Aleksei Shramko
    ✭✭  / 
    We have been hearing about hmd's hard working since January )
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I've had two updates since they actually said "stay tuned for the next update"

Guess what... Nope still ain't fixed.

I'm waiting till the march update and if that doesn't resolve the issue then I'm going back to Oreo.
  • Hugh Matthews Hugh Matthews
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Going back to Oreo doesn't seems to be option, or is it? I am also getting very sick of hanging around for the nice people at HMD Global to come up with a fix...
  • Jimmmy Jimmmy
     / 
    If there was an official way to go back to Oreo while Nokia does not fix the compass for Pie, I'm going to do it. But I'm afraid there's no such way.
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 7
    Going back to Oreo doesn't seems to be option, or is it? I am also getting very sick of hanging around for the nice people at HMD Global to come up with a fix...

There is no official way to go back to Oreo, as Nokia care had delight in telling me.

Found this in a post , further down the page here so credit to the op mcdona922
    But take a read, seems easy enough to do.
    No need to root your phone either.

• I solved the issues downloading "Stato GPS" from the App Store
  • marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited April 9

I solved the issues downloading "Stato GPS" from the App Store
    Hmm, intriguing, but the problem is not just gone. Perhaps you didn't look carefully, or even if that app shows the compass properly, what about all the other millions (of apps) that also use the magnetic/compass sensor for whatever they do?

Anyway, thanks for the input, someone may benefit from it. Cheers!
  • marsic said:

I solved the issues downloading "Stato GPS" from the App Store
    Hmm, intriguing, but the problem is not just gone. Perhaps you didn't look carefully, or even if that app shows the compass properly, what about all the other millions (of apps) that also use the magnetic/compass sensor for whatever they do?

Anyway, thanks for the input, someone may benefit from it. Cheers!
    Good point, but I solved the problem forcing the phone to re-download A-GPS informations every 15 minutes. This has been a good workaround for me.
  • martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I agree with @mrbelter! You can use Google Maps pedestrian navigation and see you walking backwords or you can simply try this: stand on one place, turn around slowly (!) by 90 / 180 / 270 / 360 degrees and watch the compass needle flip ... regardless of what compass you use and/or how often you download A-GPS data!
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    When you are walking with Google Maps open you are moonwalking chamone!
  • bhagyesh2491 bhagyesh2491
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Try formatting your phone .Many android update bugs get fixed in that way 
  • petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    No, this doesn't work.
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Not this one unfortunately.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @Ho Po yes that's very annoying and very unprofessional of the support team.

I wonder how many of the support team use Nokias as their phones and which models.
  • potemkin potemkin
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly Support department is 100% filled with people who have zero tech background. That's the real problem. Another problem is that they don't get any information from R&D department regarding software & hardware issues and software updates.
  • https://nokiapoweruser.com/nokia-8-6-5-2-march-security-update-coming-next-week-delayed-because-of-a-one-time-issue/amp/

Let's hope compass will be finally fixed too. This is last chance I am giving to Nokia.