Display brightness

The display's brightness level go up and down subtly at random times while scrolling. This is mostly visible on white pages.

Display brightness

puneet puneet
✭✭✭  /  edited July 3
The display's brightness level go up and down subtly at random times while scrolling. This is mostly visible on white pages. It's almost as if the software has some content adaptive backlight setting and it's not optimised properly. I feel it's a software issue because there's nothing else wrong with the display. Does anyone have this problem too?

Comments

• user1525809453378 user1525809453378
     /  edited May 26

By default Adaptive Brightness is On, which corrects the screen brightness based on lightning conditions. The sensor is on the left side of the speaker (portrait), under very bright conditions you should see it right under the glass. If you are holding your phone in a landscape mode there's a chance you will cover the sensor which therefore decreases screen brightness.

You can turn off adaptive brightness in Settings -> Display -> Adaptive Brightness

There's an update to this on Android P which learns your preference and this might involve learning brightness levels based on time of day, etc.

• puneet puneet
    ✭✭✭  / 
    The thing is i don't even have adaptive brightness on. The brightness levels don't go up and down hugely but just minutely. That too only when scrolling on white pages. It feels as if the system is unable to keep the brightness set at the specified point. Some software bug probably.
  • puneet puneet
    ✭✭✭  /  edited May 27
    Ok. So, this happens also when a page has a small ad running and that affects the brightness of the whole screen subtly. This also happens when I am typing on keyboard and everytime I tap on the keyboard, there's change in the brightness.
    I contacted customer care through email and all they do is send a pre typed reply of factory reset and display tests.
    Listen Nokia, read the forums and you will get to know about the plenty of bugs plaguing the Nokia 7 plus. There's clearly something wrong with the software. Fix the bugs and listen to your customers.
  • puneet puneet
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Another thing is that this change in brightness doesn't happen in the settings screen and even then, everywhere else it happens randomly. This clearly makes it a software bug. Please take this into cognisance.
  • puneet puneet
    ✭✭✭  /  edited May 27
    This may seem a minute bug which very few encounter but it's there. Nokia pull up your socks and fix up these pesky bugs in your software.
  • puneet puneet
    ✭✭✭  / 
    So, this happens in settings screen also. When I tap any option, it affects the brightness of whole screen minutely.
  • puneet puneet
    ✭✭✭  / 
    If anyone else has this issue, do comment here and let Nokia know.
  • NIIKV NIIKV
     / 

Yes i can confirm that issue on my device. (Android 8.1, the adaptive brightness is turned off.) The brightness shouldn't change at all, if the adaptive brightness is turned off.

• puneet puneet
    ✭✭✭  /  edited May 29
    So, I am not alone. Nokia should fix these bugs. Its disheartening to see such a good device filled with bugs.
  • puneet puneet
    ✭✭✭  / 
    So, another thing to add. This issue is visible only if brightness is set between 1 percent to 30 percent. No issue at 0 percent brightness or above 30 percent brightness. This apparently means that this is a software bug because had it been a hardware one, it would have affected every brightness level.
  • puneet puneet
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Few people at xda, youtube and even reddit have noticed this issue.
  • I already saw that. Indeed, at brightness level 0 nothing change, but few level upper, I can see a little difference on a web page when I scroll with a picture and text (e.g. a news article). It looks like a brightness adaptation, same as on TV and PC. The brightness adapt not because of the light of the room, but because of the content on the screen. I don't know whether it is is a bug or not.

--

TA-1046

Oreo 8.0

• puneet puneet
    ✭✭✭  / 
    It's really irritating and I hope they fix this because compared to tv screen, phone's screen is close to our eyes.
  • puneet puneet
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Ok. So, this bug still hasn't been fixed with the latest update. I hope Nokia fixes it in next month.
  • puneet puneet
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Also, if a video is playing in split screen view, it will randomly affect the brightness in the other half of screen. The other half of screen's brightness blinks. It sure is a software glitch.
  • Dear NOKIA Tema plz improve screen brightness. Bcz in outdoor the display brightness in not so good like other devices
  • gawdfather007 gawdfather007
     /  edited May 20
    I have also noticed this issue and i cannot be sure if its a software issue or its the hardware, but one thing i have found out that if the brightness is below 20 or equal to it then only it starts to act otherwise it stays stable

I have mostly noticed it on a white screen or when i am typing something, with every tap it fluctuates.

For now the only solution for me is to keep the brightness above 20.
  • puneet puneet
    ✭✭✭  / 
    gawdfather007 Exactly. The brightness fluctuates even though auto brightness is off and this is visible at lower brightness. Under 25 mostly. I really hope that it's a software bug and Nokia will fix it.
  • puneet puneet
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I feel it's a software bug because the brightness levels fluctuates according to the content on screen like a video playing or while typing. It's as if the software is in over aggressive mode regarding brightness. Some sort of content adaptive brightness but buggy application as it gets dictated by only some particular contents on the screen.
    Had the phone's bootloader be unlockable, different Roms and kernels would have been available. I would have definitely flashed them and it would have made clear whether it's a software or hardware bug.
  • puneet puneet
    ✭✭✭  / 
    So, after quite a lot of reading I found that incorrectly calibirated CABS (Content adaptive backlight settings) can cause these issues.
    Also, I found out that turning the "Content adaptive backlight settings" on or off has no effect on this issue. This means there are software bugs. The toggle to turn it on or off doesn't work and that's one bug.
    The other bug is incorrectly calibirated Content adaptive backlight settings. I hope that Nokia will look into this and fix these bugs.
    As a user, I have given bug report and now it's upto them to fix this.
  • ABuyer ABuyer
     /  edited May 25
    The adaptive brightness is very aggressive and too sensitive. It reacts even if you tilt the phone slightly. This needs to be fixed.
  • Sameer Mehta Sameer Mehta
    ✭✭  /  edited May 25
    Yes I noticed that today too there is a slight and subtle brightness shift when watching a photo and moving on to a white screen,this is much evident on instagram
  • puneet puneet
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Yeah. I hope they will fix this with the next update.
  • user1525788304826 user1525788304826
     /  edited May 27
    Yes same issue with my device as well, you'll notice it while watching YouTube and scrolling comments  not everytime only occurs in between 0-10% brightness level, above that it's not visible. Hope Nokia fix this issue on next update 
  • puneet puneet
    ✭✭✭  /  edited May 25
    Yeah, and it isn't visible until you forcefully try to look for this issue. It's probably a software issue related to the "Content adaptive backlight settings". Improper calibiration i guess.
  • Zeeshan Khan Zeeshan Khan
     / 
    I'm facing same issue too. Screen flickers while typing on white screen under low brightness. Although Flickers only when i interact with screen like typing or scrolling. Brought this phone brand new, such kind of issues are minor but still so upsetting.
  • Aniket Thakur Aniket Thakur
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I'm also having the same issue of brightness getting increased & then back to normal while scrolling through white pages & you will have to look very carefully to observe it. It only happens in low brightness. Nokia should work on there software as there are many bugs like sometimes it doesn't shows the volte in notification bar , headphones jack not working properly all the time ,camera app is **** for now, battery backup was better in April security patch,etc.
  • puneet puneet
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Yup. Exactly the same issue as you two are experiencing.
  • puneet puneet
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Bumping up this post so that Nokia support team will see this.
  • HARRY PAUL HARRY PAUL
     / 
    hey there is a problem in nokia 7 plis with auto brightness
Prev1