GPS stopping

I have been using the Sportractive GPS tracker but since upgrading to android 8.1 the tracker stops after about 30 minutes.

GPS stopping

user1525982508398 user1525982508398
 /  edited October 22
I have been using the Sportractive GPS tracker but since upgrading to android 8.1 the tracker stops after about 30 minutes. I uninstalled the app and tried to reinstall it but now it says it's incompatible with my device. Checked on Sportractives site and there is a known problem with various Nokia models since the upgrade from android 8 to 8.1. I tried Strava and this has the same issue, the app stops recording after about 30 mins. Has anybody else encountered this.

Comments

• Stian Stian
     / 

I have the same issue indeed with Strava, hopefully HMD is fixing this soon.

• user1525982508398 user1525982508398
     /  edited August 17
    Hi Stian I installed Wake Lock from the Google store. I turn this on and select Partial Wake Lock before I use Strava and it has solved the problem. Hope this helps.
  • uch uch
     / 

I have the same issue with Nokia 8S / Oreo and Sportractive, Strava or Runkeeper. Having Amazon Music Player running at the same time fixes the issue. But without a second application running, it does not work. All OS adjustments that are reasonable do not fix the issue either. 

Does Nokia / HMD already look into this issue? It is clear that a long battery time is a key interest of device makers, and GPS does consume a lot energy. BUT it is my decision to use it for my activity purposes and hence I know that the battery will be strained, but this is ok in this time. My decision, isn't it?

• mmjoshi mmjoshi
     / 
    Have the same problem with Sportractive. Never thought that a "pure" stock Android will have this silly problem. Looks like this problem is pending rather too long. Does anyone from Nokia monitor these groups?
    I had a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 which never had this problem. I bought the 6.1 because it's an Android Phone phone. No bloatware and assured security updates and OS updates. Looks like I made a mistake.

Tried running a metronome during my run but didn't help. Has anyone else had a luck with the Wakelock program?
  • Old Bloke Old Bloke
     / 
    I'm having the same problem with Strava and Glympse on a 7+ with 8.1.
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I use Sports Tracker (by Amer Sports) without issues and with default settings everywhere on Nokia 8. - I don't buy the explanation about 'Nokia issues' from other app developers - Sports Tracker is currently backward compatible with Android 4.4 ... If you decide to give ST a try, and it fails to work properly for you, then I suggest a factory reset of the phone. (I have used Sports Tracker since 2011 and I'm not going to double check your issues with other trackers).

--
    Hans
  • Stian Stian
     / 

For me the May update (2018.05) fixed the issue with Strava.

• Same with my Nokia 8 with Oreo 8.1.0 and all the latest updates

Tried with deactivated com.evenwell.powersaving.g3.overlay.base.s600ww and com.evenwell.PowerMonitor.overlay.base.s600ww but nothing helps

• mmjoshi mmjoshi
     /  edited August 17

An update on GPS problem with Nokia 6.1. Normally Sportractive does not work. However, when I use Wake Lock to get a partial lock I could successfully track my runs from short 45 minutes to medium about 3 hours successfully.

One curious thing I noticed is that I need to get the partial wake lock before I get the GPS lock for the first time. Need confirmation from other users.