Nokia 6.1 freezing while using camera.

My new Nokia 6.1 is freezing sometimes while opening camera application.

Nokia 6.1 freezing while using camera.

AmitRox AmitRox
 /  edited November 2018
My new Nokia 6.1 is freezing sometimes while opening camera application. The same thing is also happening while using camera through third party apps like WhatsApp. I think may be it is due to new camera app. Any solution for the same ?

Comments

• bharat bk bharat bk
     /  edited August 2018

ya even same thing happens to me often, hating it so much :(

• thecripplednewt thecripplednewt
    ✭✭  /  edited August 2018

the most frustrating part is that the Wifi issues got a reply from mods, as did the random reboots, but Nokia's been completely ignoring this issue, i've complained to support, posted here, and there are so many other threads as well. there's no solution afaik as of now apart from using the phone in "safe mode" which means you cant use any third party apps, its pretty ridiculous

• vivex vivex
     /  edited October 2018

yes after update android 8.1 security patch 1-May-2018

The phone camera is not working properly on all phones also in Nokia 8 and 6 and 6.1 all phones facing the same problem please resolve an issue in upcoming Update

Thanks

• JJA JJA
     /  edited August 2018
    Even I am facing this issue, not only with the camera but also the system UI. Sometimes while using random apps or just opening the apps tray System UI freezes and remains like that for few minutes.
  • user1530293470103 user1530293470103
     /  edited October 2018
    The very same happens also to me. Practically I can't use my camera when I really need it.
  • I'm also experiencing the exact same problem. The native camera app seems to work better when the save location is set to "internal memory".
    ✭✭  /  edited September 2018

It's ridiculous that three months in, this is still a problem. Third party apps that use the camera are basically unuseable for me

• Cosmiclight Cosmiclight
     /  edited July 2018

The solution isn't working for me :(. and also, what if we want GPS location data in our photos? hope this gets patched.

• browser235 browser235
     /  edited July 2018

I chatted with the German support today and I sent them the links to the nokia forum posts. I was told that the problem is known and due to the software and furthermore the technicians are working on it (priority). The support hopes that the problem will be resolved with the next update.

Further, "As a temporary solution, we can advise you to turn off 4G and location and hopefully these steps will be resolved until the solution is distributed by our development department." (translated from German)

Then I deactivated the "Location" permisson in the camera app. We will see.

Hope, that Nokia will fix this software bug soon.

Greetz from Austria

that's great news, let's hope it does get fixed soon. did you mention third party apps as well?
  • browser235 browser235
     /  edited July 2018

Yes, I mentioned my experiences with WA and instagram as well. Let's hope (:

✭✭  / 
    I hope the next update includes it then, and isn't just a security patch
  • user1531050005619 user1531050005619
     /  edited September 2018

I'm another one with the same problem since day one of owning the phone.  I have two of the phones and they both have the exact same freezing problem. I'm about ready to return the phones and go back to my old Samsungs that actually work.  Should've known better than giving a these Nokia's a chance.

• By the way, disabling the location tagging in photos didn't work for me. The camera keeps freezing constantly.
    By the way, the Geo location services don't work either. Although having enabled GPS, can't use for example swarm or Google maps... Unfortunately have to go back to my old Samsung...
  •  problem solved after 3rd system update

✭✭  / 

So the July update is apparently just a security patch. I guess
    we're waiting longer, or there is no fix planned, either way,
    disappointed, even if we do have a temp solution (which also doesn't
    always work)

• user1530293470103 user1530293470103
     /  edited August 2018

Probably no one from the Nokia support is following this thread, otherwise they should provide the solution that I get from the service I contacted some days ago:

Settings > Apps & Notifications > see all apps > Camera > Storage > Clear data and cache

After the above step:

Settings > Apps & Notifications > see all apps > Camera > Storage > Force Stop, Disable and Enable again.

At least it worked for me and I see a great improvement with my Nokia 6.1 native camera application.

I hope it helps ..

• I found that if I installed Nova Launcher or Microsoft Launcher and used one of those rather than the stock launcher it fixed my camera lag/unresponsiveness. It also made the overall UI smoother than it was with the stock launcher, particularly with Nova Launcher.

Not sure if that info will help anyone else out but I found it worked for me.
  • Maksim Maksim
     / 

I probably found the reason it happening. The problem may be in poor memory allocatin and reclaiming handling (software or hardware) 

You can download an application that fills phone RAM (like MemoryPump from google play). I have tested it on my Pixel 2 (android 8.1) and on Samsung Galaxy s4 mini (android 4.4). Both behave as expected: when device gets low on memory, system kills application that causing a problem. Full memory allocation until application gets killed doesn't hang ui and happening in 10-20 seconds.

On the other hand when I trying to do the same with Nokia 6.1: memory allocated much slower. UI is unresponsive. In a minute screen turnes off (no ANR for some reason), Power button also doesn't respond for another minute. Then phone turnes on again (like after reboot or something)

Any way there are definitely issues with camera and ui sometimes. 

Should I contact service center in Russia, or this behavior considered as normal?

• Maksim Maksim
     / 

Guys, i think i found why phone is hanging, or at least how to reproduce faulty behaviour.

The problem is probably due to poor memory handling when device gets low on it. You can check this yourself with any application that allocates memory (debugging application for developers available on google play)

When I tested it on Google Pixel 2 and on Samsung glaxy s4 mini, System killed memory hungry application without any noticeable issue. Nokia on the other hand hanged for two minutes and rebooted after being completely unresponceive. (even long pressing  power button didn't work)

why my comment doesn't gets published...

• dani8982 dani8982
    ✭✭  / 
    I have had this issue since day one myself. So much so that I downloaded a different camera to use. Still does it but not as bad. When is this getting fixed?
  • user1528682376458 user1528682376458
     /  edited August 2018

Same problems here, really frustrating. Nokia, where are you!? Please acknowledge that this is an issue!

• wizzard wizzard
    ✭✭  / 
    I have same issue with camera it lags,frezzes and sometimes video recording stops suddenly.
    It's soo frustating :/ I hope we get fix through a update

It's ridiculous that this hasn't been either resolved or even acknowledged yet. I got this phone 4 months ago as of now, that's an unacceptable amount of time for a bug to go unfixed, especially when its a pretty big one. I can neither return the phone or afford a new one at this point, so I'm stuck with it, but I'll make sure no one else buys it

• user1534759876944 user1534759876944
     /  edited August 2018
    They fixed it. Good god, finally. I don't know if they fixed the shaky photos problem too (many photos of mine have a weird aura effect, sorta like shaking, i've read this is quite common too), but at least i just took like 30 photos in a row AAAND they actually all got saved. What a delight.
  • Was there some update? I just received August security patch for Android, but no update for firmware or Camera app. My camera app version is 8.0260.80. But I have to say I also did not experienced any crashes or freezes in last few days.

• Camera app version is the same as yours and I don't remember any update either except for the August security patch, so who knows, maybe it came with it somehow. All I know is that it's suddenly working properly. Last time I tried to use it was Aug 17th and it still wasn't working, so sometime between then and today I guess.
  • I had the same experience too with the August security update fixing the camera.  Instead of the camera app being the problem, it looks like they did fixes related to the location services and memory management - it appears some of the issues related to slow response after waking up from sleep or if memory reaches capacity seem to be improved as well.  So probably the camera problems are more related to a broader system issue rather than the app itself.  Either way, it's good to have a functioning camera again.

• Not fixed for me, today was even worse than usual, both the snapchat and instagram cameras constantly crashed, and the main one froze once as well. Ugh.