RE: Data Saver / Mobile Data ('Settings')

Hi folks, I joined here yesterday as I bought a Nokia-3 last week.

RE: Data Saver / Mobile Data ('Settings')

monsterjazzlicks monsterjazzlicks
✭✭  / 

Hi folks,

I joined here yesterday as I bought a Nokia-3 last week.

Firstly, to save on battery/power, I have turned ON the DATA SAVER option. It says; 'background data is only available via wifi; this may affect some apps or services when wifi is not available'. Is this a wise decision to have made, please?

Secondly, MOBILE DATA seems to turn itself ON when I leave my home (ie, when I am out-of-range from my home wifi). I think this is correct.  If so, I would rather MANUALLY turn this on/off whenever I leave my home (network range).

Many thanks,

Paul

Comments

• wilson shrestha wilson shrestha
    ✭✭✭  /  edited May 14
    Hello Paul, you can turn on the data saver if you're carrier charges you a lot for the data you use. Else if you have a fixed carrier plan for data usage then its ok to turn off the data saver. If you turn on the data saver then the background data used by the apps is limited and you may not be able to, lets say receive a message from a messenger app while it is running in the background when you turn on the data saver.

And to turn on/off mobile data manually there is option in the Settings-Network and Internet-Data Usage. The switch is under the Mobile heading. You can also keep watch of how much data you have used in a certain time there.
  • monsterjazzlicks monsterjazzlicks
    ✭✭  / 

Hi Wilson,

My monthly allowance for data is 500MB.  On my previous Nokia (Lumia), I only used to use data (ie. leave it on when away from my home)  just to check my Hotmail. So it would bleep when a new email came came in and then I would read/delete it. I would like to receive a new-email-notification automatically (ie, without having to 'refresh').

Paul

✭✭✭  /  edited May 14

Hello Paul,

If you use a lot of social media and messaging apps then 500 MB is not enough if you turn off the data saver since these apps will constantly use background data wasting all your precious data. The thing is that the previous Nokia(Lumia) was running on a whole different OS that's why it might have consumed a lot less data than on Android OS that you are using right now. 

But there is another way, you can find data saver option on the location I mentioned above. And inside that there is unrestricted data access section. Here you can turn on unrestricted data access for your desired app like an email app as you mentioned. Then you should receive the email without the need to refresh.

✭✭  / 

Thanks Wilson,

I will check out those hidden settings, cheers.

Yes, on the Lumia, Orange said that I used less than 100MB per month. But on the new Nokia-3, I have used 250MB is only 3 days! Quite unbelievable. 

I only really use Hotmail and Gmail for messaging, and What's App here and there.  I am not on FaceBook, Instagram, or any of these modern day networking platforms. Not my thing to be honest.

Paul

✭✭✭  /  edited May 14

You're Welcome Paul, 

Yes Android consumes a lot of data than any other OS even if you keep your app usage to minimal. If my answers really helped you then you can click the 'Mark as Answer' button. This will help other community members who are searching for solutions to the same or similar questions that you asked. Thank you. :)

✭✭  / 

Hi Wilson,

I assume that the battery is running lower faster than on my previous Lumia because of all of the apps on the Nokia-3. It barely lasts even 1 day!  The Lumia used to last double this.

I am unable to locate the UNRESTRICTED DATA ACCESS setting you kindly mention? I have searched high and low.

Cheers,

Paul

✭✭✭  /  edited May 14

Yes Paul, the battery on the Nokia 3 lasts just for a day. It has a smaller battery and all the Nokia 3 owners are known to face this issue.

For the setting I mentioned, first go to Settings then tap Network and Internet then tap Data usage then tap Data saver then you will see Unrestricted Data access. Then tap this to enable or disable unrestricted data access to desired apps. Hope this helps you.

✭✭✭  / 

✭✭✭  /  edited May 14

Hello Paul if you still didn't find the option I mentioned above then you can try tapping the search icon on the top of the 'Settings' app and type 'Unrestricted data access'. It should pop right in front of you as soon as you type the first two letters.

✭✭  /  edited May 14

Wilson, 

Oh I see. It's quite a buried menu!  I got it now.  It's turned ON.  When I open it there is a list of about 30 apps.  The only one turned ON is GOOGLE PLAY SERVICE.

Yes, damn battery can barely make it through a single day!

Paul

✭✭✭  /  edited May 14

Yes that is the option that I was talking about. Glad you found it. :)

✭✭  /  edited May 15

OK Wilson,

Would you leave ONLY the GOOGLE PLAY SERVICE turned on?  I intend to d/l OUTLOOK (MS) for my emails this week, and so that will also be turned on.

Paul

✭✭✭  /  edited May 15
    Yes Paul keep the Google Play Services turned on by default and since you are going to use outlook or any other apps turn them on too so that they can access the background data. Keep rest of them turned off. Thank you.
    ✭✭  /  edited May 15

Hi Wilson,

I will d/l Outlook, Adobe and Word this afternoon and then assess which apps I will leave on.

Thanks,

Paul

✭✭✭  /  edited May 16
    You're welcome Paul. :)
    ✭✭  /  edited May 16

Hi Wilson,

I have d/l: Outlook, Word, One Note, Adobe and What's App today.

Paul

✭✭✭  /  edited May 16
    Great enjoy your new phone. :)