Android & Security Updates for UK (Model: TA-1050)

Hi! I bought 2 Nokia 6.1 phones (TA-1050) in the UK on day of launch, but as of today I'm still running Oreo 8.0.0 and Security Patch 1 February 2018.

Android & Security Updates for UK (Model: TA-1050)

Shwing Shwing
 /  edited July 28

Hi!

I bought 2 Nokia 6.1 phones (TA-1050) in the UK on day of launch, but as of today I'm still running Oreo 8.0.0 and Security Patch 1 February 2018.

Why is this?

I thought the whole point of the Android One setup was to get updates asap (I think Nokia hoped within 2 weeks of an update coming out)?

My security patch is now over 3 months old - can someone advise what is going on?

Many thanks. 

Comments

• user1526331879789 user1526331879789
     /  edited May 15

Yeah me too. I have bought mine from CPW unlocked with an EE SIM and no updates. I also made the assumption that Android One would provide timely updates. What gives Nokia?

• IanC IanC
     / 

Same for me too. It would be nice to know when it is coming. Seems like Nokia are not keeping to their advertised service level as we are still on February update.

• jay cee jay cee
     /  edited May 16
    me too. just put another networks SIM card in your phone and the update downloads immediately. EE seem to be blocking the 8.1 update for some reason, worked for me TA 1050 in the UK
  • IanC IanC
     /  edited May 16

That just seems daft to me! Who is going to download 800MB+ via their mobile data allowance and not use wifi? If EE are blocking something then why is it not available on wifi?

/  edited May 16

OK I've got a few other SIMS, going to try those and report back. I logged a call with Nokia and they said to use a VPN to get the updates.!?!?

• jay cee jay cee
     / 
    I have not got a clue. but it seems to be EE. give it a go with another SIM and please let me know how you get on.
  • maxh maxh
    ✭✭✭  /  edited May 16

Probably the phone is checking for updates via your provider 4G/3G and downloading is only via WiFi.

• jay cee jay cee
     / 
    yeah your probably right max. it worked for me straight away. I'm on EE and I put a Vodafone SIM in and the update downloaded, 8.1 April security patch on a TA1050
     /  edited May 16

Wow. Put in a Vodafone SIM, boom 8.1 Oreo downloading. Seriously EE?

• jay cee jay cee
     / 
    NICE ONE
  • Shwing Shwing
     /  edited June 2

Can someone then explain to me what the point of Android one is if it still relies on the carrier to give it the ok?

Surely this makes it the same as a 'standard' version of Android where you're at the complete mercy of the phone manufacturer / carrier?

I'm with BT Mobile (BT own EE), so I assume this is why I'm not getting the update?

Why can't Nokia make it available via the website?

What reason could BT have to delay the release of an update?

My phone is sim free, so BT really don't have any right to make decisions regarding the updating of my phone (I know, it probably does mention something in the T&Cs).

I'm going to contact BT and investigate - if I find they are the cause of the problem I will cancel all 4 sims I have with them!

(Please can anyone else post if they have success updating via another carrier - thanks)

• jay cee jay cee
     / 
    yep I'm on BT as well, I still can't fathom why the updates go through your carrier if the handset is SIM free, did you change SIM and get the update? also good luck with your investigating let us know how you get on 
  • Shwing Shwing
     / 

Just on this, does anyone know if the whole EE / BT blocking updates applies to just the smaller security patches / .1 operating system updates - or are we saying that under EE / BT will will never get ANY updates?

• IanC IanC
     / 

Unfortunately I only have access to EE based sims (Plusnet and Virgin Mobile). I've seen it mentioned elsewhere to use a VPN - how?

• Hi, I am in the UK and my Nokia 6.1 has just installed the May update.  It was about 460 MB.  I have not noticed any difference yet.  I use GiffGaff (O2).

• IanC IanC
     / 

Borrowed as 'iD' sim (on 3) from a colleague at work for 5 mins - sure enough update is there and waiting.

Grrr! What gives EE (plus.net, Virgin and ASDA)?

I paused the download then rebooted with my sim in - it stopped and said update was not available. Even thought it had started the download.

So I've borrowed the sim again while the full download happens.

• IanC IanC
     / 

I tweeted EE (and some of their MVNOs):

Reply 1 (From EE): Any updates approved by the manufacturer and the network provider with be sent out automatically to your device.

Reply 2 (From EE): Software updates will vary between networks as they contain network settings for your phone to function on the network you are using. When the update is available it will be sent to you. We have no reason to withhold updates from being sent.

Does anyone here know how the updates work? The phone needs a mobile data connection to allow the upgrade - then the upgrade downloads over wifi.

What differences would the network make to the update?

• I have raised a complaint with BT to try to find out about the lack of updates. Tried chat first but they were useless.
  • Shwing Shwing
     / 
    Thanks everyone for all the updates!
    Please continue to post here the outcome of any lines of enquiry.

Can I also ask that any BT Mobile customer also post their experiences over on the BT Community forum, specifically under the thread I started ( https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Mobile/Nokia-6-1-2018-Android-Updates/td-p/1847092 ).
    You'll see this thread has already created dialogue.

Cheers!
  • Shwing Shwing
     / 

Well, things really aren't going well, especially from Nokia's side of things.

Still no solution to my problem, and when I tried contacting Nokia Mobile Care again, they moved my case straight to 'Closed'!!!!!!!!!!

Rather than reply they moved my case to CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

U N B E L I E V A B L E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow!

• Shwing Shwing
     / 

Ok, I have now found a solution to my issue - I've just got rid of my 2 Nokia 6.1 handsets, and bought 2 from another manufacturer.

Well done Nokia, brilliant business strategy in trying to claw your way back from the scrap heap.

I would advise anyone else with the same problem to do same.

• RGUK RGUK
     / 

Oddly, I just tried this with an old 3-network SIM that I had in a tablet; it hasn't been used for over a year so has no data left on it, but when I started the phone and went to settings-updates, it had started to download 8.1 without me prompting. So it looks like the telco network is needed for the phone to see an update is pending, but it actually downloads over WiFi. 

•  HI All,

Instead of replacing SIMs, try taking out the SIM, reboot your device, and then try for an update over WiFi.  That way you remove the Network Provider (whoever it may be) and the device has no choice but to check for the OTA directly with HMD Nokia.

I've tried this on another device and had positive results and after reading this thread, was reminded of that approach.  I'll be trying it on my Nokia 6.1 (2018) (TA-1050) and will advise of the outcome.

Have a great day folks,

Peace

•  Hi All,

Yeah just to confirm that makes no difference - (operating the phone without a SIM to get updates).  It doesn't help in any way and sadly is just an inconvenience.

Warm Regards

• HappyTraveller HappyTraveller
     /  edited July 20
    Cannot understand you have received updates for the TA-1050. We have had these updates across Oceania.
    Currently on:
    Android Version: 8.1.0
    Security Patch level: 1 June 2018
    Perhaps the updates are been held up by Theresa May and the Brexit negotiations LOL :)
  • RGUK1 RGUK1
     / 

No sign of the June update on this UK TA1050 running on Plusnet. Popped an old ooredoo data SIM in (North Africa - partnered with Telefonica (O2)) and down comes the June update. This is pretty poor for a phone sold with the advantage of   "Regular
    security updates and two years of OS upgrades means the Nokia 6.1 with
    Android One stays secure and features the latest Google innovations....."

• shabbirh shabbirh
     / 

Hi @RGUK1,

I'm assuming you popped in the North African SIM while in the UK?  If that is the case, then it would seem that the UK Networks are actively blocking the Android One Upgrades and that the fault is not with Nokia but with the various mobile providers.

Having said that, if that is the case, then, in theory, taking out the SIM waiting a while, and then attempting an upgrade should work?

What I do not understand is, what do the UK Networks gain from preventing Android Upgrades?  The Upgrades don't clog up their networks as for the most part they are downloaded over WiFi; so why do they even need to act as "gatekeepers".

This is totally ridiculous, and another reason why this controlled monopoly of the networks needs to be ended somehow - though I doubt Ms May and her Brexit shenanigans will have even the remotest of ideas on how to resolve this insanity.

Anyways, have a lovely weekend folks,

Peace

• RichardR RichardR
     / 

I have TA-1050 as well, the day I bought it from Carphone, received Orea 8.1 Jun, but nothing after it. I have Virgin, But had Virgin when received 8.1 also. Weird

• My 6.1 sim free unlocked also got the June update brought from the carphone warehouse Ta-1050 on the O2 network but like a lot of ppl I have had nothing since, it does not inspire me to recommend nokia phones to friends and family
  • 6.1 sim free from Carphone, running on ee. Managed to get 8.1 (May update) on it when i purchased by the "Flip out the sim, put an o2 sim in" method, but nothing since.

Really annoyed, as I fell for the "Android One" spiel thinking that I'd found a successor to my Nexus 5X.