RE: GMail Shortcut Icon Issue

(I do not think my first attempt attempt at posting this thread was successful for some reason; unless it needs to be moderated?> Hi folks,  

RE: GMail Shortcut Icon Issue

monsterjazzlicks monsterjazzlicks
✭✭  /  edited September 27

(I do not think my first attempt attempt at posting this thread was successful for some reason; unless it needs to be moderated?>

Hi
folks,

I
joined here recently as I bought a Nokia-3 last week.

Today
I opened/signed-into (on my phone) my GMail account, for the first time. None
of the emails in this account are unread. However, the icon for the app. has a
(red ) number 4 fixed to the upper-right-hand-corner (ie. indicating that there
are 4 unread emails in my inbox waiting to be opened)!?

Similiar
numbers appeared on my What's App and Hotmail shortcut icon when I installed
these two apps this afternoon; however one I read the new emails, the numbers
disappeared. But, as I say, this is not the case for GMail.

Many
thank in advance for any assistance offered.

Paul

Comments

• nishanth nishanth
    ✭✭✭  /  edited May 16

Nokia 3 on Android 7.1.2 is what you are using I assume.

The notification error happens at times. 

Do check if you have any unread messages/mails in folders.
    The number usually disappears after syncing / after a restart of the phone.

Long press on the Gmail icon and go to App Info. 
    Select Force Stop and open the application and try syncing.

• emaz anwar emaz anwar
    ✭✭  /  edited May 16

Simply go to settings> apps> gmail> clear data. After that open the gmail app and let it sync then this problem will be resolved!

• monsterjazzlicks monsterjazzlicks
    ✭✭  / 

Hi Emaz,

I went to: settings> apps> gmail>clear data, and followed your instructions.

Thanks,

Paul

✭✭  / 

Hi Nishanth,

Does CLEAR DATA not wipe all of my email (in Gmail) globally?  Or does this command produce an action which is less volatile?

How do I fined the ANDROID VERSION, please?

Cheers,

Paul

✭✭  / 

Hi,

By suggesting a REFRESH, does one mean touching the top of the screen and swiping down, please? I think this produces the same result as 'F5' on a PC?

Paul

✭✭  / 

Emaz Anwar,

I replied this afternoon, but for some reason - as has happened before - not all of my responses appear?!

Paul

• murph murph
    ✭✭  /  edited May 17
    Clear data on Android (in the apps part of system settings) only clears local data on the Android device. It should have no impact on the server.

Something else to try is searching for "is:unread" on the "All Mail" folder in the web interface. It's just a guess, but you might have some ancient unread messages which are not immediately obvious.
  • emaz anwar emaz anwar
    ✭✭  /  edited May 17

Sorry for no reply... It was night in  my country so I was sleeping. :) 

May I know that whether your problem is resolved now?

✭✭  / 

Emaz Anwar,

No problem. I appreciate your kind help.

Paul

✭✭  / 

Hi Murph,

Thanks for explaining the method of CLEAR DATA. I was concerned it would wipe my emails globally.

After performing this and a couple of restarts, the issue seems to have been resolved now!

Cheers.

✭✭  / 

Hi,

The GMail notification has appeared back again; and alongside a What's App and missed-call 'icon-number' - even though I have no messages or missed calls?!

No idea why this is the case.

Many thanks.

Paul

• emaz anwar emaz anwar
    ✭✭  / 

Why don't you upgrade your phone to Android 8.0? It will solve this issue permanently...

✭✭  / 

Emaz Anwar,

I purchased the phone 2 months ago and am now locked into an 18 month contract. The sales assistant told me this phone was bang-up-to-date with all it's features.

The Android Version I have is: 7.1.1

Paul

• emaz anwar emaz anwar
    ✭✭  / 

But why are you locked into 18 month contract? Your phone was up to date when you purchased it but now it's not up to date! Go to settings> About Phone> System Update> Check for update> Install.

This will take a few minutes to download & install the latest version of Android. After that, your phone will be running Android 8.0 Oreo with April Security Patch, 2018.

✭✭  / 

Hello Emaz Anwar,

As far as I am aware, there is a distinction between 'update' and 'upgrade'. The former refers to a 'System Update' in which the OS, or apps, are updated to the latest 'version(s)'. Whereas the latter refers to the owner 'upgrading' their handset(s). 

Your initial reply reads:

"Why don't you upgrade your phone to Android 8.0?"

This would suggest 'replacing' one's handset.

Many thanks.

✭✭  / 

Hi,

Why do my replies in my threads never seem to show?  I have to keep re-posting them!

Paul

• emaz anwar emaz anwar
    ✭✭  / 

Seriously, I have no idea about that! :)

✭✭  / 

Emaz Anwar,

It's very frustrating because I spend half an hour replying and then my answer does not display!

Thanks.

✭✭  / 

Emaz Anwar,

Your reply came through 3 times?!

Cheers.

• emaz anwar emaz anwar
    ✭✭  / 

I have no idea about how my reply came through 3 times. And for the upgrade concern, I may say that you should upgrade your phone's software to Android 8.0. Getting a new OS on your phone is a software UPGRADE for your phone...

I hope you understand! :)

• Unknown
     /  edited May 22

Hello, 

Sorry for the reply issues and so on... this is simply because some posts end up in our 'Waiting for approval' folder and one moderator has to approve them before they show. So next time when your post doesn't show immediately, you don't have to type it again. It will show as soon as I have approved it. 

I don't really know why this is happening with some perfectly fine posts and believe me this isn't annoying just for you. But I'll work on this issue. 

Best Regards, 

Laura

✭✭  / 

<3rd attempt at posting>

Emaz Anwar,

As far as I am aware, 'upgrade' means to replace your handset for a more recent model.  Whereas 'update' means to update the software/OS.

In any event, my Android is running: '1.7.1' at present. In which case, how do I install 'v.8.0', please?

Thanks,

Paul

• emaz anwar emaz anwar
    ✭✭  /  edited May 24
    Go to settings› about phone› system update› check for update. You'll see a on-screen notification saying "Software Upgrade - Android 8.0. Tap download and then tap restart & install. Downloding and installing the update can take some time depending on your internet speed. When you'll tap install, your phone will turn off and then a rainbow window will appear in which the Android 8.0 will start installing. After that, Your phone will restart itself and then your phone will be running Android 8.0. And please, do not worry if your phone restarts 2-3 times during the installation.

You must keep your phone up to date to get all the fresh experience & smooth UI. On a monthly basis, Google Security patches are released.

Have a nice day!
    ...And don't forget to tell me how it goes :).
    ✭✭  / 

Emaz Anwar,

OK, great. I'll give it a go ...

Paul

✭✭  / 

After
    clicking ‘Check For Update’, it says:
    ‘Your System Is Up To Date’: Android Version 7.7.1; Security Patch Level 5 –
    March 5th 2018.

• emaz anwar emaz anwar
    ✭✭  /  edited May 25

Its kind a akward that your phone hasn't got the Android Oreo. Android Oreo was released for Nokia 3 in the month of April. Have you contacted Nokia support about this matter? Your phone should run Android 8.0 with May Security patch. Even my phone is running Android Oreo.

✭✭  / 

Emaz Anwar,

OK, I will see if I can get a hold of Nokia.  Though I did not really want to have to join another forum to be honest.

Thanks,

Paul

✭✭  / 

Hi Laura,

Thanks for your reply.

I do not see why every single message which is posted in this forum needs to be 'moderated'? For example, surely by now it is quite obvious that I am not a 'spammer'!

Thanks,

Paul

• emaz anwar emaz anwar
    ✭✭  /  edited May 25
    Hi, you need no other forum in order to talk to Nokia support. The app is built-in directly into your phone. This forum never let me post any picture I mean after posting, the post never appears in the thread. I'd like post the screenshot of Android 8.0. It's just amazing...
    ✭✭  / 

Nokia said:

If the update hasn't come yet don't worry! The updates are depending on many things such as Google, region, kernel version, mobile operator etc. I advise you to be a bit more patient.

Prev1