Camera Update - Coming soon!

So today, most of you would have been receiving the May security patch update (alone).

Camera Update - Coming soon!

System System
 /  edited May 22
So today, most of you would have been receiving the May security patch update (alone). A few would feel disappointed to not find the Pro camera update along with the security patch today. In order to reduce the chaos, our CPO, Mr. Juho Sarvikas has replied to a query by a user on Twitter. According to the reply, they're working on it for months and the entire Imaging framework needs to be overhauled in order to bring the pro mode with existing features such as the live bokeh. This is because, ulike other Nokia phones with Pro cam (Like the Nokia 7plus / 8 Sirocco) the Nokia 8 comes with a dual camera setup of a regular sensor coupled along with a MONOCHROME sensor. Currently, the Nokia 8 is the only device with such a setup hence, the whole imaging framework needs to be redesigned accordingly.
Juho also assured that it looks good now and will update shortly. Hence, the update will be carried out as a separate one in the near future. So, please be a little more patient for a while. Coming soon..
https://twitter.com/sarvikas/status/996708898269642753?s=19

Comments

• Unknown
     /  edited May 17
    Just read about this too! Looking forward to it!
  • LennartB LennartB
    ✭✭✭  / 

Good news.

@user1508938037450, please read the house rules and only post in english so we can understand you.

https://community.phones.nokia.com/support/discussions/topics/7000023757

• Unknown
     /  edited May 17
    This is true. Hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer.
  • deviantartjr deviantartjr
     /  edited May 16
    Hope it's true
  • Unknown
     /  edited May 19
    This is true by every means. And that's why our default camera app has never been updated, even after Oreo. Unlike the Nokia 6, 5, 7 whose apps have been updated after Oreo. In the case of Nokia 7, it's a single coloe sensor so the modification of camera framework for pro mode would be comparatively easy. Whereas for Nokia 8, the Live bokeh, twin/mono/color features should be implemented rightly in par with the Pro mode. Hence, it does take time to overhaul the framework. It will happen too soon... Time for us to rejoice soon!
  • 203 203
     /  edited May 17

Thank you. It is good to have a positive update. It's actually good to have an update of any kiind ;o)

The situation does however make me question the wisdom and necessity of specifiying the Nokia 8 with dual camera sensors if properly supporting them to gain any benefit is so difficult.

• Unknown
     / 

Great

• conqueror conqueror
    ✭✭  / 
    Hello Dana, are you a staff with Nokia? Meanwhile, what stopped Sarvikas from giving out this information long ago instead of keeping us in the dark? Also, hope "shortly" as he said won't take weeks or days again? We have waited enough..
  • Denis.S Denis.S
     /  edited May 19

Hi Dana, do you know about geography of the roll out of the update?

Why I am asking is that Australia is left couples of months behind without update usally, we even don't have April security patch yet, I'm very keen to get this camera update but being realistic it is another long wait for us. There quite a few users complained about this problem and appreciate if this regional inequality can be solved.

Thank you

• Unknown
     / 
    Well, Mr. Juho planned to couple the update along with the Security patch this month. But unfortunately, it couldn't be done. And in order to reduce any further chaos, he could open up only after he was assured over the arrival of final stages of the framework modification. Hence, it won't take too long to update I suppose. HMD holds a Global event on 29th of this month in Russia. Huge possibilities are there that the team might announce about the update on the event. Or even sooner circumstances is also possible.
  • Unknown
     / 
    Hi Mr. Denis. I'm not quite sure about region specific circulation, if not as a whole, the update should reach every Nokia 8 user possibly regardless of the region though not at the same stretch. Just in case if it doesn't reach you, you can very well find manual .apk of the application on the forum. Cheers!
  • mighty haggis mighty haggis
     /  edited May 19

you can download and install the apk file for the camera update just google it and you will get it, t works very well and fast the only part not working is the live bokeh but its well worth installing, it basicy installs as an upgrade to defult camera

• Unknown
     /  edited May 19
    user1508952666684 well but the current available apks doesn't make the pro mode accessible on the Nokia 8. So it's advised to kindly wait for the official update. Thank you.
  • user1516103604762 user1516103604762
     /  edited May 19

HI Dana I wanted to know if the new updated camera app will also improve the picture and video quality of my Nokia 8 or will it only provide the pro mode

• Terminusaquo Terminusaquo
    ✭✭✭  /  edited May 21

@Dana This is why I'm being patient because there are extensive changes to the supporting framework that need to be made to accommodate the features of the Nokia 8, that and I want a camera app that works first time every time rather than something rushed. 

As the Guinness ad states, good things come to those who wait.

• Unknown
     /  edited May 21
    user1508952666684 yes obviously it should improve the picture and video quality to the maximum capabilities of the sensors. And with the addition of pro mode, you can manipulate the capture settings according to your desires.
    ✭✭✭  / 

@Dana I'm looking forward to seeing what the Pro Camera can do on Android. As a W10M user the pro mode was excellent and gave SLR style control over every aspect of photo capture.

• Unknown
     / 
    Terminusaquo: Yes! It was already a stellar in Windows phone 8 and remarked the best for professional photography freedom! We're glad to have it back on our new generation of Nokia android phones 
  • Unknown
     /  edited May 25

Out of curiosity, is the camera app separate to the OS so the update will be done over play store or will the update be done over the system update? 

✭✭✭  / 

@chi1701 I believe it's built into the OS unlike on W10M meaning that any fixes and new feature have to come via OS updates.

• mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭  /  edited May 22

I am curious as to what relationship Dana has with HMD/Nokia, just for the validity of the information more than anything else.

• Guru Guru
     /  edited May 24

Thanks for an explanation why it was delayed. Monochrome camera...rarely we see an exact reason. Good.

• Unknown
     /  edited May 27
    I can't wait. It is long overdue and will make our Nokia 8s awesome again.
  • Unknown
     /  edited May 28
    Yeah right..and what is soon in mr. Juho Sarvikas head ? 11 days has gone since this post was startet and nothing has happened, i’m not too optimistic. Its not the first statement from Sarvikas regarding the this camera issue. Heard it all before...
  • Google cam work much better than the stock one, both front n back cam captures portrait mode ...
  • Unknown
     / 
    Just curious, is the camera hardware of Noki8 Sirroco is different from Nokia 8, that's why it takes them so long to update it?
    ✭✭✭  /  edited May 29

@user1527452253685 Can the Google Camera app switch between the rear cameras, use Live Bokeh, allow you to take a "Bothie" and allow you to Live Stream directly from the camera app, if so that's great but I suspect that it doesn't.

@user1526419645293 The hardware itself isn't, the sensors are but that's about it. The main problem is integrating all the features that the Nokia 8 camera app currently has with the pro camera app from the Sirocco. 

• Unknown
     /  edited May 31
    So guys.. Time to cheer! This Friday, our #Nokia8 will be #PROcessed 爛
  • Unknown
     /  edited June 1
    Fantastic news!
  • Dheeraj Dheeraj
    ✭✭  / 
    Finally!