Random restart after May'2018 update

My Nokia 6.1 got the May update for Oreo. Since, then it is restarting randomly. Tried soft and hard resetting which did not solve the issue.

Random restart after May'2018 update

Muctadir Muctadir
 /  edited July 28

My Nokia 6.1 got the May update for Oreo. Since, then it is restarting randomly. Tried soft and hard resetting which did not solve the issue. If there is no quick fix coming very soon, I am going to return the phone. 

Comments

• Seems to be an issued with GPS. After turning off GPS in the Security and Location Settings, I have no more sudden reboots.
  • Thanks for posting this, it is actually 100% reproducible:
    - Disable location services
    - open maps and tap the button to go to your location
    - a dialog will pop up that asks you to enable location services
    - if you enable location service, the phone will crash, if you cancel, everything is fine

Is there an official way to report bugs?
  • maxh maxh
    ✭✭✭  / 

Sorry to say, but no crashes. I always have location on. Turned off and on again. No problem. (TA-1043)

• Unfortunately you are right. I tried it at least five times earlier and the phone crashed every time location services were enabled and never when they were disabled. I tried it again just now and there was no crash
  • Also seeing random restarts after upgrading. Three or four in the last two days.
  • Tested some more: reboots seem only to occur when apps use the location and the setting for location mode is on high precision (GPS and WiFi, BT and mobile Network). Setting the mode on energy save with all but GPS or on device sensors only (including GPS) seem to work fine without reboot.
  • maxh maxh
    ✭✭✭  / 

I use a parking app with Location on high precision. No problem whatsoever.

• user1526855612116 user1526855612116
     /  edited June 26

Same here. Gone from perfect phone (for me) to almost being unusable - can I rely on the alarm to wake me up?. Restarted several times yesterday, and then once driving to the gym and 6 times within 40 mins on my drive to work today.

There does not seem to be any pattern to it.

• Thanks for the info regarding location hope there's a patch coming very soon as this glitch spoils a beautiful phone
  • abcd123456 abcd123456
     / 

same here, following latest update, I've gone from very happy with my new phone to wondering if I can rely on it because it shuts down randomly.  No obvious pattern but I'll try disabling full accuracy location services and see if that helps.

• Unknown
     / 

Hi all, 

I’m really sorry to hear you’re facing issues after the last update. Only thing I can suggest you is contacting our customer support through the support app or >here< they might be able to help you. I will forward your issue as well, but by contacting the support it should pop up much faster on the agenda.

Best regards,

Laura 

• Bern driving with Google Maps navigation 2 hours today. Rebooted 4 Times...
  • stf stf
     / 

My Nokia 6.1 does exactly the same thing without the use of gps on my behalf. There are times that I am constantly having random restarts by using only Whatsapp, when I am trying to type a message.

• Same Here after updating without the May Update.
    Yesterday an endless restarting issued without the Change to disable GPS.
    After a few hours and safety restart it was better for a hour.
    Without using the SIM but GPS I used it now for 10hours without any problem
  • jorgensen jorgensen
     / 
    I have the same problem, and I have reported it to the support and hope they have a fix soon.
  • Hi Everyone,

I have been experimenting with this and the phone seems completely stable with Location turned off:

Settings -> Google -> Location -> Off

Setting Location to High Accuracy or Device Only seems to crash more frequently than when set to Battery Saving. Took ~5 mins to reboot while driving with Device Only (consistent with High Accuracy yesterday) this morning and ~15-20 mins with Battery Saving. 

The fact that it happens with or without GPS turned on (Battery Saving does not use GPS), and that it started happening after a system update indicates a software problem. Which is good, might get fixed, and bad, warranty phones might show no difference.

I was wondering if others here could test stability with Location turned off, and with the three different settings (this works better/more quickly if you are moving, driving or walking). You do not have to be using Google Maps, or Waze etc, just have Location turned on for the problem to occur.

@Laura - Moderator - I did contact support. They suggested safe mode, no joy. Soft boot, no joy. (I factory reset myself, no joy too). They then said to contact support centre. Unfortunately this is 1 hour+ drive away and only open 9-5 weekdays, when I am (and the majority of people are) at work. I can send it to them, but how are my kids' childcare going to contact me without a phone for a week or two? Realistically what are they going to do anyway? Either say they cannot reproduce it or give me a new phone which probably has the same problem because it is likely to be software related.

• KevinT KevinT
     / 

Having the same problem too. Random restarts whenever using GPS based apps - even in safe mode (using Maps for navigation). Since the May security update.

• Posted a longer post which has seemed to disappear....?

This does not seem to be related to using a GPS app  (Maps, Waze etc). If you just have Location turned on it will reboot at some point.

• KevinT KevinT
     /  edited May 22

Sorry, my bad. Its not directly related to using a GPS app, as you say it can re-boot at any time. Its definitely worse when using navigation apps and even just moving around, since as we know the phone tracks our movements even without specific apps installed 

• mariope mariope
     /  edited June 2

I have the same issue, and did some researches.

It looks like it is a LTE Bug. If the LTE Signal gets weaker the phone go to a panic state and shuts down.

i deactivated LTE and now the phone runs without any crash. of course this is a temporary fix.

The Nokia Support tells me i had to wait for a patch.

It is very annoying to not use LTE for an undefined period of time and i hope it will get fixed soon 

• KevinT KevinT
     /  edited May 23

So, based on the previous post around LTE, I tried this morning, with high accuracy location  services turned on. Initially I disabled the "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode" option in Mobile networks, and had 2 reboots in 20 mins of driving - so no difference there. I then set the Preferred network type to 3G - and on the same journey back, with navigation (Maps) turned on, there was no reboot. So I then attached the cable to activate Android Auto (almost guaranteed to cause a reboot previously), and drove around for another 10 mins. Still OK. Obviously not a very rigorous test, but still the most stable the phone has been since the May update, with location services turned on. Will monitor and get back if things change

• user1526989728714 & KevinT, nice one. I turned off 4G and it has been completely stable.
  • Nero Nero
     / 

I have the random reset problem. Model TA-1068 with Android Oreo 8.1.0.

Restarted twice today, once yesterday and twice the day before. It seems to happen after the phone has been in standby for a long time, e.g. first thing in the morning.

I followed the suggestion here yesterday to turn Google Location off. Settings -> Google -> Location -> Off, but the reset happened twice today so that hasn't worked.

I contacted Support through the Nokia app, and they advised me to do a soft reset (hold power and volume up buttons in for 15 sec). I suppose that's the first thing to try for any abnormally behaving phone. But as the start-up process from the soft reset looks exactly the same as when the phone resets itself I have little confidence that has changed anything.

I'll have to wait a bit longer to see if the random restarts continue to happen.

• mariope mariope
     /  edited May 24
    No shutdown since sunday with 3G ;)
  • I'm getting this too. Tried turning off location services, let's give it a few days and see how it goes. Failing that i'll push it back to 3G only.

• Phone fell over when I had Location services off, so I have turned it back on and set 3G only.

• KevinT KevinT
     /  edited May 29

Its been almost a week now with the 'Prefered network type' set to 3G, and location services turned on, and no reboots. Have reported this to support (again) just to reinforce it, mentioning this thread. So given that it was broken in the May update, hopefully it won't be too hard to track down the problem and fix it in the June update........

• I too have this problem, and can confirm that the "Only 3G" workaround stops the reboots on my Nokia 6.1 (2018)

Really looking forward to a fix from Nokia on this!. :-)

• Unknown
     / 

Hi  everyone, 

Good to hear that 3G workaround seems to work for you. Just to give you a short update  - the problem is under investigation and has high priority. I don’t have a fix time for an update, but I’ll let you all know when I have new info on that.

Best regards, 

Laura

• I have the same problem. I just found this forum and the solution with this 3G thing but Amazon send me already a replacement which will arrive today. Should I make the may update with the new device or should I wait for a new (june) update and update then?